Jan. 25th, 1975
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mia Kirshner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Miss Conception
2006 - The Iris Effect
2006 - The Black Dahlia
2003 - Party Monster
2002 - New Best Friend
2001 - Not Another Teen Movie
2001 - Century Hotel
2001 - According to Spencer
2000 - Cowboys and Angels
2000 - Dark Summer
1997 - Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
1997 - Mad City
1996 - The Crow: City of Angels
1996 - The Grass Harp
1995 - Murder in the First
1994 - Exotica
Guest TV Roles
Kirshner found a talent agent at the age of 12, and was acting professionally by the age of 15. She made her film debut in 1993 in Denys Arcand's Love and Human Remains. She convinced her father to sign a “nudity waiver” to play a dominatrix. Kirshner won a Genie nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role. The following year, she starred in Atom Egoyan's Exotica. In 1996, she appeared in The Crow: City of Angels.
Kirshner also appeared in the first three episodes of 24 as the bisexual assassin Mandy in 2001. She would later reprise the role for the second season's finale and in the latter half of the show's fourth season. Also in 2001, Kirshner played Catherine Wyler, The Cruelest Girl in School, in Not Another Teen Movie. The character is primarily a spoof of Kathryn Merteuil (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar) in Cruel Intentions, and was partially based on Mackenzie Siler (played by Anna Paquin) from She's All That. In Marilyn Manson's music video for "Tainted Love", which was featured on the movie's soundtrack, she made a cameo appearance as her character Catherine Wyler.
In 2004, Kirshner was cast as author Jenny Schecter, a main character in the drama series The L Word. She remained with the show for all of the show's six seasons through 2009.
In 2006, she starred in Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia in which she plays the young aspiring actress, Elizabeth Short, who was mysteriously mutilated and murdered in 1947. While the film itself was critically panned, many reviews singled out her performance for acclaim. In 2010, Kirshner co-starred in the film 30 Days of Night: Dark Days which began filming in the fall of 2009. In 2010, she was cast as Isobel Fleming, a guest role on The Vampire Diaries.
In 2011, she voiced the title character in Bear 71, a National Film Board of Canada web documentary that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.
On April 20, 2012, it was announced that Kirshner will join the new Syfy series Defiance.
Kirshner was ranked #43 on the Maxim Hot 100 Women of 2002. She and Beverly Polcyn were nominated for Best Kiss at the 2002 MTV Movie Awards for Not Another Teen Movie. In 2012 it was announced that Kirshner would be the face of Monica Rich Kosann's jewelry collection.
Already established as Canada's most decorated female performer, Kirshner is also a decorated writer, winning acclaim for her 2007 book I Live Here.
- Has written a book called 'I Live Here'. "I Live Here is a paper documentary - an intimate journey to humanitarian crises in four corners of the world: war in Chechnya, ethnic cleansing in Burma, globalization in Mexico, and AIDS in Malawi.".
- Played Sarah Logan in the pilot for the TV show _"D.C." (2000)_ (qv) but the role was later re-cast.
- She is a granddaughter of Holocaust survivors. Her father, Sheldon, a journalist for The Canadian Jewish News, was born in a displaced person camp in Germany in 1946. He met her mother, Etti, a Bulgarian Jewish refugee, in Israel. Kirshner has a younger sister.
- Ranked #38 in Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women in the World" (2002).
- Was raised in Toronto by her father, who is a journalist, and mother, who is a teacher.
- The "Stuff" magazine cover she did with 'Chyler Leigh' (qv) was the first time that magazine ever featured multiple people on the cover.