Jun. 22nd, 1949
Summit, New Jersey, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Considered by many movie reviewers to be the greatest living film actress, 'Meryl Streep' has been nominated for the Academy Award an astonishing 15 times, and has won it twice. Born Mary Louise Streep in 1949 in Summit, New Jersey, Meryl's early performing ambitions leaned toward the opera. She became interested in acting while a student at Vassar and upon graduation she enrolled in the Yale School of Drama. She gave an outstanding performance in her first film role, Julia (1977), and the next year she was nominated for her first Oscar for her role in The Deer Hunter (1978). She went on to win the Academy Award for her performances in Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) and Sophie's Choice (1982), in which she gave a heart-wrenching portrayal of an inmate mother in a Nazi death camp.
A perfectionist in her craft and meticulous and painstaking in her preparation for her roles, Meryl turned out a string of highly acclaimed performances over the next 10 years in great films like Silkwood (1983), Out of Africa (1985), Ironweed (1987), and Evil Angels (1988). Her career declined slightly in the early 1990s as a result of her inability to find suitable parts, but she shot back to the top in 1995 with her performance as Clint Eastwood's married lover in The Bridges of Madison County (1995) and as the prodigal daughter in Marvin's Room (1996). In 1998 she made her first venture into the area of producing, and was the executive producer for the moving ...First Do No Harm (1997). A realist when she talks about her future years in film, she remarked that "...no matter what happens, my work will stand..."
- Considered for the role of Evita Peron in _Evita (1996)_ (qv).
- Once engaged to actor 'John Cazale' (qv).
- Sister-in-law of 'Maeve Kinkead' (qv).
- Her character Karen Silkwood from her 1983 film _Silkwood (1983)_ (qv) was ranked #47 on the American Film Institute Heroes list of the 100 years of The Greatest Screen Heroes and Villians.
- She is the role model of 'Emily Blunt' (qv) , 'Anne Hathaway (I)' (qv) and 'Claire Danes' (qv).
- Is the second of 4 consecutive winners of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar to have the initials "M.S.". The others are: 'Maggie Smith (I)' (qv) - _California Suite (1978)_ (qv), 'Mary Steenburgen' (qv) - _Melvin and Howard (1980)_ (qv), and 'Maureen Stapleton' (qv) - _Reds (1981)_ (qv).
- 'Robert De Niro' (qv) said she is his favorite actress to work with.
- Occasionally mistaken for friend 'Glenn Close' (qv), Streep was pregnant with her fourth child while shopping in a Los Angeles baby store where the staff lavished her with huge amounts of baby paraphernalia. Just as she was about to leave they whispered, "We loved you in _Fatal Attraction (1987)_ (qv)".