Jun. 22nd, 1949
Summit, New Jersey, USA
Meryl Streep's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Considered by many movie reviewers to be the greatest living film actress, 'Meryl Streep' has been nominated for the Academy Award an astonishing 15 times, and has won it twice. Born Mary Louise Streep in 1949 in Summit, New Jersey, Meryl's early performing ambitions leaned toward the opera. She became interested in acting while a student at Vassar and upon graduation she enrolled in the Yale School of Drama. She gave an outstanding performance in her first film role, Julia (1977), and the next year she was nominated for her first Oscar for her role in The Deer Hunter (1978). She went on to win the Academy Award for her performances in Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) and Sophie's Choice (1982), in which she gave a heart-wrenching portrayal of an inmate mother in a Nazi death camp.
A perfectionist in her craft and meticulous and painstaking in her preparation for her roles, Meryl turned out a string of highly acclaimed performances over the next 10 years in great films like Silkwood (1983), Out of Africa (1985), Ironweed (1987), and Evil Angels (1988). Her career declined slightly in the early 1990s as a result of her inability to find suitable parts, but she shot back to the top in 1995 with her performance as Clint Eastwood's married lover in The Bridges of Madison County (1995) and as the prodigal daughter in Marvin's Room (1996). In 1998 she made her first venture into the area of producing, and was the executive producer for the moving ...First Do No Harm (1997). A realist when she talks about her future years in film, she remarked that "...no matter what happens, my work will stand..."
- She was ranked #87 in 'Ellen Degeneres''s s most sexy movie actors list. (2009).
- Her character Karen Silkwood from her 1983 film _Silkwood (1983)_ (qv) was ranked #47 on the American Film Institute Heroes list of the 100 years of The Greatest Screen Heroes and Villians.
- Her fans call themselves "The Streepers".
- She is 'Pierce Brosnan' (qv)'s very close friend.
- Has named her favorite actresses working today as 'Cate Blanchett' (qv), 'Emily Blunt' (qv), Dame 'Helen Mirren' (qv), and 'Nicole Kidman' (qv).
- Was nominated for Best Actress in 1987 along with 'Cher (I)' (qv). When Cher was announced, just before the cameras cut away from the other four actresses, Streep could be seen springing to her feet in delight and applauding for Cher. During her acceptance speech, Cher thanked Streep personally, as they had worked together on Cher's first film, _Silkwood (1983)_ (qv). As the camera briefly cut away to Streep sitting in the audience, she blew Cher a kiss.
- Educated at Yale University. Studied Drama.
- British actress 'Julie Christie (I)' (qv) is one of her huge fans.