Jul. 27th, 1972
Gainesville, Florida, USA
Maya Rudolph's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Strange Magic
2015 - Live From New York!
2015 - Inherent Vice
2014 - The Nut Job
2014 - Big Hero 6
2013 - Grown Ups 2
2013 - Turbo
2013 - The Way, Way Back
2011 - Zookeeper
2011 - Bridesmaids
2011 - Fight for Your Right Revisited
2010 - Grown Ups
2010 - MacGruber
2009 - Away We Go
2007 - Shrek The Third
2006 - Idiocracy
2006 - A Prairie Home Companion
2004 - 50 First Dates
2003 - Duplex
1997 - Gattaca
1997 - As Good As It Gets
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Maya Rudolph was born in Gainesville, Florida, on July 27th, 1972, to Dick Rudolph, a music producer, and soul singer Minnie Riperton. In 1973, Maya, her parents, and her older brother, Marc Rudolph, moved to California to further Minnie's music career. Here Minnie recorded "Lovin' You", her most famous single, in which one can hear her sing "Maya, Maya, Maya" at the end of the song; Riperton claimed that this song was used as a lullaby for Maya.
During adolescence, Maya attended St. Augustine by the Sea School, where she met childhood friend Gwyneth Paltrow. The Paltrows and the Rudolphs became family friends and, in 2000, Dick Rudolph and Maya filled the role of music supervisors on the Bruce Paltrow-directed film Duets (2000), which starred Gwyneth.
In 1990, Maya enrolled at the University of California at Santa Cruz, majoring in photography. It was here that Maya formed the band "Supersauce" with fellow students. After graduation in 1994, Maya left the band and soon joined The Rentals, fronted by Weezer bassist Matt Sharp (II). Maya was featured on the 1999 release "Seven More Minutes", where she sang backup vocals on "Barcelona" and "My Head is in the Sun". Maya began touring with the group, singing backup and playing Moog synthesizer. When The Rentals disbanded, Maya decided to pursue her dream of a career in comedy, joining the famed troupe "The Groundlings".
On May 6, 2000, Maya joined the cast of "Saturday Night Live" (1975) and has since become one of that show's most popular performers. Favorite sketches include a dead-on impression of fashion diva Donatella Versace; high school flake "Megan", the host of her own morning talk show, "Wake-up WakeField"; and one of the members of the R&B parody "Gemini's Twin".
In 2005, Maya gave birth to her first child with director Paul Thomas Anderson; in 2006, she was cast in the film A Prairie Home Companion (2006), directed by the legendary Robert Altman (I) and based on the NPR show by Garrison Keillor.
- Is the daughter of the late singer 'Minnie Riperton' (qv), best known for her 1975 #1 pop hit "Lovin' You." At the end of the song, Riperton can be heard singing "Maya Maya, Maya Maya...."
- First impression on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) was of MTV VJ 'Ananda Lewis' (qv). The episode was when 'John Goodman (I)' (qv) hosted and 'Neil Young (I)' (qv) was the musical guest.
- Often does impressions of 'Christina Aguilera' (qv) and 'Donatella Versace' (qv) on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- Attended St. Augustine by the Sea School with 'Gwyneth Paltrow' (qv).
- Keyboardist and a singer for the Weezer spin-off band 'The Rentals' (qv). She toured with the group in 1996 and sang on its latest album.
- Formed and sang in the jazz-funk band "Supersauce" while attending the University of California at Santa Cruz. She left the band when she graduated and later joined 'The Rentals' (qv), singing backup vocals on the album "Seven More Minutes". She can be heard on "Barcelona" and "My Head is in the Sun". Rudolph left 'The Rentals' (qv) to join "The Groundlings" to pursue a career in comedy, which eventually led her to _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- Voted #20 on Entertainment Weekly's list of Funniest People in America in April 2004
- Older brother 'Marc Rudolph' (qv) is a music engineer.