Jul. 27th, 1972
Gainesville, Florida, USA
Maya Rudolph's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - MacGruber
2010 - Grown Ups
2009 - Away We Go
2007 - Shrek The Third
2006 - A Prairie Home Companion
2006 - Idiocracy
2004 - 50 First Dates
2003 - Duplex
2000 - Chuck & Buck
1997 - Gattaca
1997 - As Good As It Gets
Guest TV Roles
Nurse Leah Martine
Professor Theresa Winslow Fabré
Herself - Comedian (segment "Live from New York")
Maya Rudolph was born in Gainesville, Florida, on July 27th, 1972, to Dick Rudolph, a music producer, and soul singer Minnie Riperton. In 1973, Maya, her parents, and her older brother, Marc Rudolph, moved to California to further Minnie's music career. Here Minnie recorded "Lovin' You", her most famous single, in which one can hear her sing "Maya, Maya, Maya" at the end of the song; Riperton claimed that this song was used as a lullaby for Maya.
During adolescence, Maya attended St. Augustine by the Sea School, where she met childhood friend Gwyneth Paltrow. The Paltrows and the Rudolphs became family friends and, in 2000, Dick Rudolph and Maya filled the role of music supervisors on the Bruce Paltrow-directed film Duets (2000), which starred Gwyneth.
In 1990, Maya enrolled at the University of California at Santa Cruz, majoring in photography. It was here that Maya formed the band "Supersauce" with fellow students. After graduation in 1994, Maya left the band and soon joined The Rentals, fronted by Weezer bassist Matt Sharp (II). Maya was featured on the 1999 release "Seven More Minutes", where she sang backup vocals on "Barcelona" and "My Head is in the Sun". Maya began touring with the group, singing backup and playing Moog synthesizer. When The Rentals disbanded, Maya decided to pursue her dream of a career in comedy, joining the famed troupe "The Groundlings".
On May 6, 2000, Maya joined the cast of "Saturday Night Live" (1975) and has since become one of that show's most popular performers. Favorite sketches include a dead-on impression of fashion diva Donatella Versace; high school flake "Megan", the host of her own morning talk show, "Wake-up WakeField"; and one of the members of the R&B parody "Gemini's Twin".
In 2005, Maya gave birth to her first child with director Paul Thomas Anderson; in 2006, she was cast in the film A Prairie Home Companion (2006), directed by the legendary Robert Altman (I) and based on the NPR show by Garrison Keillor.
- Daughter of 'Dick Rudolph' (qv) and 'Minnie Riperton' (qv).
- Often does impressions of 'Christina Aguilera' (qv) and 'Donatella Versace' (qv) on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- Older brother 'Marc Rudolph' (qv) is a music engineer.
- Is the daughter of the late singer 'Minnie Riperton' (qv), best known for her 1975 #1 pop hit "Lovin' You." At the end of the song, Riperton can be heard singing "Maya Maya, Maya Maya...."
- Appeared with 'Donatella Versace' (qv) at the 2002 VH1/Vogue Fashion awards.
- First impression on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) was of MTV VJ 'Ananda Lewis' (qv). The episode was when 'John Goodman (I)' (qv) hosted and 'Neil Young (I)' (qv) was the musical guest.
- Graduated from the University of California at Santa Cruz with a BA in photography in 1994.
- Attended St. Augustine by the Sea School with 'Gwyneth Paltrow' (qv).