Aug. 19th, 1969
Williamstown, Massachusetts, USA
Matthew Perry's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - 17 Again
2008 - Birds of America
2004 - The Whole Ten Yards
2002 - Serving Sara
2000 - The Kid
2000 - The Whole Nine Yards
1999 - Three to Tango
1998 - Almost Heroes
1997 - Fools Rush In
1989 - She's Out of Control
1988 - A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon
Guest TV Roles
Matthew Langford Perry (born August 19, 1969) is an American-Canadian actor and comedian.
Perry was born in Williamstown, Massachusetts. His mother, Suzanne Marie (née Langford), is a Canadian journalist and former press secretary to Canadian Prime Minister 'Pierre Trudeau', and his father, 'John Bennett Perry', is an American actor and former model. His parents divorced before his first birthday and his mother subsequently married 'Keith Morrison', a broadcast journalist. Perry was raised by his mother in Ottawa, Ontario, and was enrolled at Rockcliffe Park Public School and Ashbury College. While growing up, he took a keen interest in tennis and became a top-ranked junior player. Perry ranked 17th nationally in the junior singles category and third in the doubles category.
Upon graduating from high school, Perry intended to enroll at the University of Southern California but when he was offered a leading role on the television series, "Second Chance" (1987), he seized the opportunity to begin his acting career.
Perry appeared in the hit comedy film "The Whole Nine Yards" (2000), as the neighbor of a hit man played by 'Bruce Willis'. His other feature film credits include "Fools Rush In" (1997), "A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon" (1988), "She's Out of Control" (1989) and "Parallel Lives" (1994). He also co-starred with 'Chris Farley' in the buddy comedy "Almost Heroes" (1998) and in the romantic comedy, "Three to Tango" (1999) , opposite 'Neve Campbell'.
Perry did a 28-day program in 1997 for a Vicodin addiction. Matthew Perry's weight fluctuated drastically over the next few years and once dropped down to 145 pounds (66 kg). He lost 20 pounds in 2000 due to pancreatitis. Perry again entered rehab in February 2001 to treat an addiction to opioids (specifically vicodin and methadone), amphetamines and alcohol. Perry was in Dallas, Texas, filming Serving Sara with 'Elizabeth Hurley' when he had such severe stomach pains that he called a local doctor, who advised rehab. Perry flew to Los Angeles and checked into Marina del Rey's Daniel Freeman Hospital. Perry's publicist 'Lisa Kasteler' confirmed his rehab stay.
He starred in the TNT movie, The Ron Clark Story which premiered August 13, 2006. Perry played small town teacher 'Ron Clark' who relocates to the toughest class in the country. Perry received a Golden Globe nomination as well as an Emmy nomination for his performance.
In 2009 he starred in the film 17 Again playing the older Mike O'Donnell.
Perry currently resides in Los Angeles. He enjoys playing ice hockey and softball in his spare time.
Perry reportedly dated 'Julia Roberts', 'Yasmine Bleeth' and 'Lauren Graham'. He has been in a relationship with 'Lizzy Caplan' since 2006.
Perry holds dual American-Canadian citizenship.
- (May 2003) Made his world stage debut in the West End in London alongside 'Minnie Driver' (qv).
- Both in _The Whole Nine Yards (2000)_ (qv) and _Three to Tango (1999)_ (qv), his characters are asked "Are you always this nervous?". Both times the response is "yes.".
- In season 1, episode 16 of "The West Wing", Matthew Perry was mentioned as a guest at a party the president was attending in L.A. He later played the character of Joe Quincy in three episodes during the third and fourth season.
- Said on his Twitter account that his favorite song is "Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.
- Raised in Ottawa, Canada.
- (2003) Appeared in the top 30 of Forbes Top 100 Celebrity rich list for the first time
- Is a Toronto Blue Jays Fan.
- According to an interview, Matthew claimed that when he was filming _A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon (1988)_ (qv) he had formed a star complex and would cockily ask his fellow co-stars what they planned on doing now that "they were on their way". He then said that reality settled in once the movie was released and nothing happened.