Nov. 4th, 1969
Uvalde, Texas, USA
Matthew McConaughey's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Matthew David McConaughey (born November 4, 1969) is an American actor.
McConaughey moved to Longview, Texas located east of Dallas where he attended Longview High School. While in high school, he was voted most handsome in the Longview Lobo Yearbook. He lived for a year in Warnervale, New South Wales, Australia, as a Rotary exchange student in 1988. McConaughey attended the University of Texas at Austin College of Communication at the University of Texas at Austin, where he joined Delta Tau Delta International Fraternity and lived at The Castilian residence hall. He began in fall of 1989 and graduated in the spring of 1993 with a B.S. degree in Radio-Television-Film.
McConaughey began his acting career in 1991, appearing in television commercials, before being cast in Richard Linklater's film Dazed and Confused, which became a critical success, garnering largely positive reviews. After appearing in some smaller roles in Angels in the Outfield, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, Boys on the Side, the television series Unsolved Mysteries, and as the male lead in the 'Trisha Yearwood' music video for the song Walkaway Joe, McConaughey's big break came as the lawyer "Jake Brigance" in the 1996 film A Time to Kill, based on the John Grisham novel of the same name.
McConaughey was cast in leading roles in many more movies: Contact, Amistad, The Newton Boys, EDtv, and U-571. By the early 2000s, he was frequently cast in romantic comedies, including The Wedding Planner and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, both of which were successful at the box office. During this period, he appeared as a firefighter in the low-budget film Tiptoes, opposite 'Rene Russo', in Two For The Money as a protégé to Al Pacino's gambling mogul, and in Frailty, cast against type as a serial killer, opposite 'Bill Paxton'. On September 10, 2000, he appears as himself on the show Sex and the City on HBO, talking with Carrie Bradshaw played by 'Sarah Jessica Parker' about optioning her columns to make a movie.
His most interesting role was playing Denton Van Zan, an American warrior and dragons hunter in the futuristic thriller Reign of Fire (2002), where he co-starred with another young actor, 'Christian Bale'.
McConaughey starred in the feature film Sahara. He was also named People magazine's “Sexiest Man Alive” for 2005. In 2006, he co-starred with Sarah Jessica Parker in the romantic comedy Failure to Launch and Ghosts of Girlfriends Past in (2009).
Since 2010 he has moved away from romantic comedies and has had critically acclaimed roles in the films The Lincoln Lawyer (2011), Bernie (2011), Killer Joe (2011), Mud (2012), Magic Mike (2012) and he will be seen as a gaunt man living with HIV in his upcoming movie Dallas Buyers Club (2013). The role required him to lose 38 pounds. He will next appear in HBO series True Detective.
McConaughey was one of the presenters at the 2011 Academy Awards ceremony.
In early 2013, McConaughey was confirmed as the lead in Christopher Nolan's upcoming time travel science fiction film Interstellar, which is set for release on November 7, 2014.
McConaughey's foundation is called the J.K. Livin Foundation, which "is dedicated to helping teenage kids lead active lives and make healthy choices to become great men and women".
McConaughey rescued various pets stranded after the flooding of New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina. In 2006, in Sherman Oaks, California, he rescued a cat from two youths who had doused it in hairspray and were attempting to set the cat on fire.
McConaughey met Brazilian model and television performer Camila Alves in 2006. He proposed to Alves on Christmas Day 2011. The couple were married on June 9, 2012, in Austin, Texas, where they reside. Together they have three children: son Levi Alves McConaughey (b. 2008), daughter Vida Alves McConaughey (b. 2010), and son Livingston Alves McConaughey (b. 2012).
- His favorite actor is 'Paul Newman (I)' (qv).
- Police responded to a disturbance call at Matthew's home in Austin, Tx. in October. When they arrived, the music was blaring and he was playing bongo drums in the nude. He was with an unknown man and police attempted to arrest him after spotting illegal drugs. He resisted arrest.
- He was considered for the role of "Jack" in _Titanic (1997)_ (qv). He then played "Dirk Pitt" (in _Sahara (2005)_ (qv)), who found the Titanic in another adventure.
- Is of Irish descent
- His brother, Michael McConaughey, aka 'Rooster McConaughey' (qv), had a son and named him Miller Lyte McConaughey.
- Played Brazilian music for eight straight hours in the operating room to help his girlfriend Camilla Alves give birth to their child, Levi.
- Announced that he is auctioning his 1971 Chevy Stingray Corvette on Ebay, and donating all the money to Oprah's Angel Network Hurricane Katrina and Rita relief funds.
- Was on the sidelines of the Texas Longhorns during the 2006 Rose Bowl where the Longhorns beat the USC Trojans 41-38.