Oct. 8th, 1970
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Guest
Matthew Paige "Matt" Damon (born October 8, 1970) is an American actor, voice actor, screenwriter, producer, and philanthropist.
Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the son of Kent Damon, a stockbroker, and Nancy Carlsson-Paige, an early childhood education professor at Lesley University. His father is of Scottish and English ancestry, while his mother is of Finnish and Swedish descent. His older brother, Kyle (b. 1967), is an accomplished sculptor and artist.
Damon and his family moved to Newton and lived there for two years. After his parents divorced, Damon and his brother moved with their mother back to Cambridge,where they lived in a six-family communal house.
His first film role was a one-line part in Mystic Pizza (1988). Hollywood's power brokers realized his potential as a serious actor when they saw him play a Gulf War vet-turned-heroin addict in Courage Under Fire (1996).
One of Damon's closest childhood friends was fellow young thespian 'Ben Affleck', who starred in Chasing Amy (1997). Damon and Affleck collaborated on the screenplay for Good Will Hunting (1997), in which they co-star. The pair won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay for their work. For his performance in the film, Damon received nominations for the Academy Award, Golden Globe Award, Satellite Award, and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actor.
Damon has since starred in commercially successful films such as Saving Private Ryan (1998), the Ocean's trilogy, and the first three films in the Bourne series, while also gaining critical acclaim for his performances in dramas such as Syriana (2005), The Good Shepherd (2006), and The Departed (2006). He garnered a Golden Globe nomination for portraying the title character in The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Francois Pienaar in Invictus (2009). He is one of the top-40 highest-grossing actors of all time. In 2007, Damon received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was named Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine. Damon has been actively involved in charitable work, including the ONE Campaign, H2O Africa Foundation, and Water.org.
In 2011, he starred in The Adjustment Bureau, Contagion, We Bought a Zoo, and voiced a krill in Happy Feet Two. In April 2012, Damon filmed Promised Land, directed by Gus Van Sant, which he co-wrote with John Krasinski. Damon's next film with frequent collaborator Steven Soderbergh is Behind the Candelabra, a drama about the life of pianist/entertainer Liberace (played by Michael Douglas) with Damon playing Liberace's longtime partner Scott Thorson. The film premiered on HBO on May 26, 2013.
In 2014, he starred in George Clooney's The Monuments Men.
Damon met Argentine-born bartender Luciana Bozán Barroso (b. 1976) in April 2003 while filming Stuck on You in Miami. They became engaged in September 2005 and married in a private civil ceremony (December 9, 2005), at the Manhattan Marriage Bureau. In 2013, they renewed their wedding vows in front of family and friends in St Lucia. Damon is stepfather to Bozán Barroso's daughter, Alexia, from her previous marriage. The couple also have three daughters together; Isabella (b. June 2006), Gia Zavala (b. August 2008) and Stella Zavala (b. October 2010). They moved to Los Angeles in the summer of 2013, having previously lived in both Miami and New York.
- Dropped 40 pounds for his role as a Gulf War vet in _Courage Under Fire (1996)_ (qv).
- Both he and 'Ben Affleck' (qv) worked as extras on the film _Field of Dreams (1989)_ (qv). At one point during the shoot, Matt took some blades of grass from the field as mementos for his father.
- Grew up next door to radical historian 'Howard Zinn' (qv). Damon references Zinn's seminal work "A People's History of the United States" as Will in _Good Will Hunting (1997)_ (qv).
- Dropped out of Harvard 12 credits short of graduating to pursue his acting career.
- His grandfather is Finnish.
- Shaved his head for the movie _The Brothers Grimm (2005)_ (qv) (to assist in the wearing of a wig for that role). The shaved head was shown in the movie _EuroTrip (2004)_ (qv), which was filmed in Prague at the same time.
- While promoting _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv) on _"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)_ (qv), he revealed that when he was a college freshman his agent from a "ma and pa agency" inadvertently sent him and 'Ben Affleck' (qv) to an audition for _"The New Mickey Mouse Club" (1977)_ (qv). They were under the impression that they were going to meet the head of Touchstone Pictures.
- Named "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine in 2007.