Oct. 8th, 1970
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Matt Damon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Matthew Paige "Matt" Damon (born October 8, 1970) is an American actor, voice actor, screenwriter, producer, and philanthropist.
Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the son of Kent Damon, a stockbroker, and Nancy Carlsson-Paige, an early childhood education professor at Lesley University. His father is of Scottish and English ancestry, while his mother is of Finnish and Swedish descent. His older brother, Kyle (b. 1967), is an accomplished sculptor and artist.
Damon and his family moved to Newton and lived there for two years. After his parents divorced, Damon and his brother moved with their mother back to Cambridge,where they lived in a six-family communal house.
His first film role was a one-line part in Mystic Pizza (1988). Hollywood's power brokers realized his potential as a serious actor when they saw him play a Gulf War vet-turned-heroin addict in Courage Under Fire (1996).
One of Damon's closest childhood friends was fellow young thespian 'Ben Affleck', who starred in Chasing Amy (1997). Damon and Affleck collaborated on the screenplay for Good Will Hunting (1997), in which they co-star. The pair won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay for their work. For his performance in the film, Damon received nominations for the Academy Award, Golden Globe Award, Satellite Award, and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actor.
Damon has since starred in commercially successful films such as Saving Private Ryan (1998), the Ocean's trilogy, and the first three films in the Bourne series, while also gaining critical acclaim for his performances in dramas such as Syriana (2005), The Good Shepherd (2006), and The Departed (2006). He garnered a Golden Globe nomination for portraying the title character in The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Francois Pienaar in Invictus (2009). He is one of the top-40 highest-grossing actors of all time. In 2007, Damon received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was named Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine. Damon has been actively involved in charitable work, including the ONE Campaign, H2O Africa Foundation, and Water.org.
In 2011, he starred in The Adjustment Bureau, Contagion, We Bought a Zoo, and voiced a krill in Happy Feet Two. In April 2012, Damon filmed Promised Land, directed by Gus Van Sant, which he co-wrote with John Krasinski. Damon's next film with frequent collaborator Steven Soderbergh is Behind the Candelabra, a drama about the life of pianist/entertainer Liberace (played by Michael Douglas) with Damon playing Liberace's longtime partner Scott Thorson. The film premiered on HBO on May 26, 2013.
In 2014, he starred in George Clooney's The Monuments Men.
Damon met Argentine-born bartender Luciana Bozán Barroso (b. 1976) in April 2003 while filming Stuck on You in Miami. They became engaged in September 2005 and married in a private civil ceremony (December 9, 2005), at the Manhattan Marriage Bureau. In 2013, they renewed their wedding vows in front of family and friends in St Lucia. Damon is stepfather to Bozán Barroso's daughter, Alexia, from her previous marriage. The couple also have three daughters together; Isabella (b. June 2006), Gia Zavala (b. August 2008) and Stella Zavala (b. October 2010). They moved to Los Angeles in the summer of 2013, having previously lived in both Miami and New York.
- Was 'Winona Ryder' (qv)'s boyfriend from New Year's Eve 1997 until they broke up in May 2000.
- To perfect his Southern accent for his role as Rudy Baylor in _The Rainmaker (1997)_ (qv), he tended bar in Knoxville, TN, for free. Later he hired one of the customers to serve as his dialect coach.
- Grew up next door to radical historian 'Howard Zinn' (qv). Damon references Zinn's seminal work "A People's History of the United States" as Will in _Good Will Hunting (1997)_ (qv).
- Engaged to Luciana (Barroso) Bozan (5 September 2005).
- Had never made a sequel until he made _Ocean's Twelve (2004)_ (qv) and _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv), both in the same year. In 2007, the third parts of those series, _Ocean's Thirteen (2007)_ (qv) and _The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)_ (qv), opened, making the first trilogies he's starred in.
- Named "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine in 2007.
- His grandfather is Finnish.
- Was once offered the chance at playing Daredevil when it was in production at Miramax in 1999. This version would have starred Damon and been written by 'Kevin Smith (I)' (qv) and directed by 'Robert Rodriguez (I)' (qv). However, Marvel Comics wanted too large a budget for the filmmakers' tastes.