Dec. 27th, 1974
Masi Oka's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Friends With Benefits
2009 - Fired Up!
2008 - Get Smart
2008 - The Promotion
2007 - Balls of Fury
2004 - Along Came Polly
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Masayori "Masi" Oka (岡 政偉, Oka Masayori) (born December 27, 1974) is a Japanese-American actor and digital effects artist. He became widely known for his role on NBC's Heroes as Hiro Nakamura.
Born in Tokyo, Japan, to Setsuko Oka. His parents divorced when he was one month old; he was raised in a single parent family and has never met his father. He was six years old when his mother and he moved to Los Angeles from Japan. At age eight, he appeared on the CBS-TV game show Child's Play. In 1987, a twelve-year-old Oka was featured on the cover of Time titled "Those Asian-American Whiz Kids". Though he was not featured in the article itself, he was acquainted with the photographer who conducted the shoot. His IQ has been reported at over 180.
He attended elementary school at The Mirman School; and graduated high school from Harvard-Westlake School in 1992. After he graduated, he worked on the 1992 Summer Olympics as an English, Spanish, and Japanese translator He graduated from Brown University in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science and mathematics. While at Brown, he also served as the musical director of The Bear Necessities, an all-male a cappella group. Oka described the group as a "brothership".
Oka landed his first job after graduation at Industrial Light & Magic, George Lucas's motion picture visual special effects company, with the hope of one day earning an Oscar for technical work on a motion picture. Oka was also featured in the San Francisco Chronicle with ILM co-worker Anthony Shafer in a pre-dot-com article where he echoed his desire to meld acting and technology. He worked on the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
- Graduated from Harvard-Westlake School (1992).
- One of his hobbies is Kendo (Japanese sword fighting).
- At age six, he moved to Los Angeles, California, USA, where he still resides.
- His character on _"Heroes" (2006/II)_ (qv), Hiro, is 'Tyra Banks' (qv)'s favorite character on her favorite show.
- He has a 180-plus IQ.
- In an interview with TV Guide's 'Michael Ausiello' (qv), he said that as of November 2006, he still works one or two days a week as a CGI artist for 'George Lucas (I)' (qv)'s special effects company Industrial Light & Magic (at which Oka worked on the effects for such films as _Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)_ (qv), _War of the Worlds (2005)_ (qv), the three most recent Star Wars movies, and _The Perfect Storm (2000)_ (qv)). He also still drives his old car, a 2000 Honda Accord.
- Speaks fluent Japanese.
- Graduated in 1997 from Brown University with degrees in mathematics and computer science and a minor in theatre arts.