Aug. 3rd, 1940
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Martin Sheen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Purposely flunked his college entrance exam to the University of Dayton so that he could pursue an acting career instead. His father wholeheartedly disapproved until he had gained popular success, not even seeing Martin act until he saw him on the screen at a drive-in in his hometown of Dayton, Ohio.
- Received an honorary doctor of letters degree from Marquette University (2003) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, during the dedication of the school's new library (according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel web site).
- Suffered a severe heart attack while filming _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv).
- Is a strong advocate for the closing of the School of the Americas, a military base that trains Latin American soldiers (allegedly teaching techniques of torture and political terror). Has been involved in a large protest every year since 1998.
- (7 October 2000) Martin was one of 22 people arrested for crossing over a line established by the Air Force in an anti-militarization protest at California's Vandenberg Air Force base. He was charged with trespassing.
- [October 2006] Pursuing a three-year Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature, philosophy, and oceanography at the National University of Ireland (NUIG), Galway, Ireland.
- Along with 'Steve McQueen (I)' (qv) and 'James Dean (I)' (qv), is mentioned in R.E.M.'s song "Electrolite.".
- Brother of actor 'Joe Estevez' (qv).
- Never officially changed his real name to his stage one. He is still Ramon Estevez on all identifications and legal documents, and all his children were born under that name. He answers to both names with friends, but his wife first met him as Martin (he did not tell her his real name until weeks later) and as a result she still calls him that.