Aug. 3rd, 1940
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Sly Sludge (Voiced)
Himself - Narrator
Rev. Bill Thompson
Purposely flunked his college entrance exam to the University of Dayton so that he could pursue an acting career instead. His father wholeheartedly disapproved until he had gained popular success, not even seeing Martin act until he saw him on the screen at a drive-in in his hometown of Dayton, Ohio.
- Suffered a severe heart attack while filming _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv).
- Has memorized and can sing every single 'Frank Sinatra' (qv) song.
- Considers his late West Wing co-star 'John Spencer (I)' (qv) his best friend. Like Spencer, Sheen successfully recovered from drug and alcohol addictions.
- His admiration for the Rev. 'Fulton J. Sheen' (qv) prompted him to adopt the bishop's name for his acting career.
- Of all the U.S. presidents, he admires 'Jimmy Carter (I)' (qv) the most.
- Along with 'Steve McQueen (I)' (qv) and 'James Dean (I)' (qv), is mentioned in R.E.M.'s song "Electrolite.".
- He can only put his jacket on by flipping it over his head (like Bartlet in _"The West Wing" (1999)_ (qv)). His left arm was crushed by forceps when he was born and he has limited lateral movement.
- According to friends and family, he is closest to son Charlie than anyone else. Indeed, he and Charlie often appear together on the screen, and Martin has even played Charlie's on-screen father twice. He also appeared as an older "Charlie" in a credit-card commercial.