Nov. 17th, 1942
Queens, New York, USA
Martin Scorsese's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Life Itself
2013 - One Direction: This Is Us
2013 - Casting By
2012 - Side by Side
2010 - The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
2008 - Shine a Light
2007 - The Key to Reserva
2007 - Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project
2004 - Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin
2004 - The Aviator
2004 - The Aviator
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2004 - Shark Tale
2003 - A Decade Under the Influence
2002 - Gangs of New York
1999 - The Muse
1995 - Search and Destroy
1994 - Quiz Show
1993 - The Age of Innocence
1991 - Guilty by Suspicion
1990 - Dreams
1990 - The Grifters
1989 - New York Stories
1987 - Hollywood Uncensored
1986 - The Color of Money
1985 - After Hours
1983 - King of Comedy
1980 - Raging Bull
1978 - The Last Waltz
1978 - American Boy: A Profile of: Steven Prince
1976 - Taxi Driver
1976 - Cannonball!
1973 - Mean Streets
1972 - Boxcar Bertha
0 - Seduced and Abandoned
Guest TV Roles[none found]
After serious deliberations about entering the priesthood - he entered a seminary in 1956 - Martin Scorsese opted to channel his passions into film. He graduated from NYU as a film major in 1964. Catching the eye of producer Roger Corman with his 1960s student films (including co-editing Woodstock (1970)), Scorsese directed the gritty exploiter Boxcar Bertha (1972). Mean Streets (1973) followed in 1973 and provided the benchmarks for the Scorsese style: New York settings, loners struggling with inner demons, pointed-shoes rock-meets-opera soundtracks and unrelenting cathartic violence. "Mean Streets" also featured Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel, two actors who would help shape that style. After Scorsese directed Ellen Burstyn to a Best Actress Oscar in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974), the trio was reunited for the dark journey of Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver (1976). The film achieved additional notoriety five years after its release when Bickle's (De Niro) concern for a teenaged hooker played by Jodie Foster inspired John Hinckley (I)'s assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan (I) in 1981. After New York, New York (1977) (which one critic described as a wife-abuse musical) and The Last Waltz (1978), Scorsese released Raging Bull (1980) dedicated to his mentor Haig Manoogian. The biography of middleweight fighter Jake LaMotta earned two Oscars (Actor - DeNiro, Editing - Thelma Schoonmaker) and was later selected as the best film of the decade by U.S. critic gods Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. Scorsese then explored fans as pariah (The King of Comedy (1982)), dark-comic dreams (After Hours (1985)), and revisited pool shark Eddie Felson from The Hustler (1961) ( The Color of Money (1986) with Paul Newman (I)). Scorsese outraged some religious groups by attempting to portray a human son of God in The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) before returning to more familiar territory with the Mafia in Goodfellas (1990). He followed with two films which were remakes, Cape Fear (1991) and The Age of Innocence (1993). Besides directing and co-writing, Scorsese has also acted. It's interesting to note he played the gunman at the finale of Mean Streets (1973) and the cab passenger planning to kill his wife in Taxi Driver (1976). He also had a role in Dreams (1990).
- (16 November 1999) Daughter 'Francesca Scorsese' (qv) born.
- As a teenager in the Bronx, Scorsese frequently rented 'Michael Powell (I)' (qv)'s _The Tales of Hoffmann (1951)_ (qv) from a store that only had one copy of the reels. When it wasn't available the owner told him, "that Romero kid has it," referring to 'George A. Romero (I)' (qv) who was also a big fan of the film. Today, both directors cite the film as a major influence.
- Of the three films he's been trying to make since the mid-1970s, he has done two: _The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)_ (qv) and _Gangs of New York (2002)_ (qv). The third film, a biopic of 'Dean Martin (I)' (qv) called "Dino", has been on hiatus at Warner Brothers since the late 1990s. Scorsese has a very specific all A-list cast in mind, probably why it has yet to be produced. He wants 'Tom Hanks' (qv) to star as Martin, 'Jim Carrey' (qv) to play 'Jerry Lewis (I)' (qv), 'John Travolta' (qv) to play 'Frank Sinatra' (qv), 'Hugh Grant (I)' (qv) to play 'Peter Lawford' (qv), and 'Adam Sandler (I)' (qv) to play 'Joey Bishop (I)' (qv).
- Was friend, protégé, and employee of actor-director 'John Cassavetes (I)' (qv).
- Apart from his legendary work as a filmmaker, he has been a vocal supporter of film preservation for almost three decades. His efforts to create a strong public awareness for the work of film archives include The Film Foundation, a non-profit organisation which he started together with other filmmakers. The Film Foundation regularly partners with the American film archives on the restoration of "lost" or endangered films. With this background he has agreed to serve as Honorary President of the Austrian Film Museum in Vienna.
- _The Departed (2006)_ (qv) is the highest-grossing movie of his 40-year career ($132,373,442 (USA)).
- He appears as attached to his pet white Bichon Frise Zoe as he was to his beloved parents - except Zoe is right beside Marty every day in the office.
- Was voted the 4th greatest director of all time by Entertainment Weekly, making him the only living person in the top 5 and the only working film director in the top 10 ('Ingmar Bergman' (qv) being retired as a filmmaker).