Sep. 25th, 1951
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Senator Stampingston (Voiced)
Dr. Jak (Voiced)
Arnim Zola (Voiced)
Additional Voices (Voiced)
The Joker (Voiced)
Gadfly Garnett (Voiced)
Mark Richard Hamill (born September 25, 1951) is an American actor, voice actor, writer, producer, and director. He is best known for his portrayal of Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars series – Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), and Return of the Jedi (1983) – a role he reprised in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015). Hamill also starred and co-starred in the films Corvette Summer (1978), The Big Red One (1980), and Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015). Hamill's extensive voice acting work includes a long-standing role as the Joker, commencing with Batman: The Animated Series in 1992.
Born in Oakland, California, and was raised in Virginia. He is a son of Virginia Suzanne (née Johnson; 1927–1998) and U. S. Navy Captain William Thomas Hamill (b. 1927). He is one of seven children, including two brothers, Will and Patrick, and four sisters, Terry, Jan, Jeanie, and Kim. His mother was of half Swedish descent. His father's changes of station, and attendant family moves, led to the Hamill children changing schools more often than others. In his elementary years, he went to Walsingham Academy and Poe Middle School. At age 11, he moved to the 5900 block of Castleton Drive in San Diego, California, where he attended Hale Junior High School. During his first year at James Madison High School, his family moved to Virginia where he attended Annandale High School. By his junior year, his father was stationed in Japan, where Hamill attended and graduated in 1968 from Nile C. Kinnick High School (located in Yokohama, Japan at the time) and was a member of the Drama Club. He later enrolled at Los Angeles City College and majored in drama.
Hamill was raised as a Roman Catholic, and described his father as a "Nixon Republican".
Hamill made his acting debut on The Bill Cosby Show (1969) in 1970. He played a continuing role (Kent Murray) in TV's General Hospital (1963) and co-starred in the respected TV comedy series The Texas Wheelers (1974). Real fame came with his film debut (he was voice only in Wizards (1977) with the hero role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars (1977), Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983). He experienced a disfiguring car crash, but later played in Broadway, returning to film in 1989.
On December 17, 1978, Hamill married dental hygienist Marilou York in a private civil ceremony. They have three children together: Nathan (born June 25, 1979), Griffin (born March 4, 1983), and Chelsea Elizabeth (born July 27, 1988). Nathan was born during the production of The Empire Strikes Back and had a cameo role in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, playing one of the Royal Guards of Naboo.
On January 11, 1977, one day before he was set to shoot one of the scenes in Star Wars, Hamill was in a car accident in which he fractured his nose and left cheekbone, requiring seven hours of surgery. As a result, a double was used for the landspeeder pickup shots. According to Hamill in a recorded interview, he was driving his BMW on a freeway and became distracted, and seeing that he was missing his offramp, tried to negotiate four lanes of traffic. Hamill stated in that interview that some of the real scars from the crash made an appearance in The Empire Strikes Back.
- Hamill met his wife, Mary Lou York, when she was his dental hygienist.
- Attended Annandale High School in Annandale, Virginia before his father was transfered.
- He did all his own stunts in _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv) -- except two places: where "Luke Skywalker" jumps off the plank into the Sarlaac, turns, and flips back onto the plank and on the Death Star when Vader throws his saber at the supports of the catwalk. According to "The Making of Return of the Jedi" by John Philip Peecher (c. 1983), his stunt double, 'Colin Skeaping' (qv), performed both of these stunts.
- He campaigned for 'George McGovern' (qv) during the 1972 presidential race.
- Is one quarter Swedish.
- Trained with sword master 'Bob Anderson (III)' (qv) for his role as 'Luke Skywalker' (qv); Anderson also trained 'David Prowse (I)' (qv) (Darth Vader).
- Appeared in _Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)_ (qv), which also starred 'Carrie Fisher' (qv). It was the first time the two had starred together since _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv). Neither of them knew that the other was involved in the project until shortly after filming had been completed.
- He accidentally hit 'Peter Stormare' (qv) during a fight scene in _Hamilton (1998)_ (qv).