Sep. 25th, 1951
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Jak (Voiced)
Additional Voices (Voiced)
The Joker (Voiced)
Harrison Ford (Voiced)
His father was a captain in the United States Navy; he grew up in California, Virginia, New York and Japan. He majored in drama at Los Angeles City College and made his acting debut on The Bill Cosby Show (1969) in 1970. He played a continuing role (Kent Murray) in TV's General Hospital (1963) and co-starred in the respected TV comedy series The Texas Wheelers (1974). Real fame came with his film debut (he was voice only in Wizards (1977) with the hero role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars (1977), Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983). He experienced a disfiguring car crash, but later played in Broadway, returning to film in 1989.
- Attended Annandale High School in Annandale, Virginia before his father was transfered.
- He was a friend of 'Robert Englund' (qv), the actor best known for playing "Freddy Krueger" in the "Nightmare On Elm Street" films. Englund, himself, auditioned for the role of "Luke Skywalker" and, when he didn't get the part, he encouraged Mark to go and audition after him.
- Has actually played two roles in the Star Wars trilogy. That's Mark's voice on the P.A. system announcing that "The first transport is away," in _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv).
- In 1995, he appeared in _Village of the Damned (1995)_ (qv) for director 'John Carpenter (I)' (qv). That same year, Carpenter released another movie: _In the Mouth of Madness (1994)_ (qv). A newspaper boy was played by 'Hayden Christensen' (qv), who went on to play his father (Anakin Skywalker) in the Star Wars prequels.
- He campaigned for 'George McGovern' (qv) during the 1972 presidential race.
- Attended Nile C. Kinnick High School (known as Yo-Hi) in Yokohama, Japan, where as a senior he played Henry Aldrich in the high school production of Clifford Goldsmith's "What A Life," Naval Base. School is now on the Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan, where it is known by its original name, Kinnick High. Original site of the high school where Hamill acted is now a MyCal department store.
- Auditioned for _American Graffiti (1973)_ (qv).
- Hamill met his wife, Mary Lou York, when she was his dental hygienist.