Sep. 25th, 1951
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Jak (Voiced)
Firelord Ozai (Voiced)
Solomon Grundy (Voiced)
His father was a captain in the United States Navy; he grew up in California, Virginia, New York and Japan. He majored in drama at Los Angeles City College and made his acting debut on The Bill Cosby Show (1969) in 1970. He played a continuing role (Kent Murray) in TV's General Hospital (1963) and co-starred in the respected TV comedy series The Texas Wheelers (1974). Real fame came with his film debut (he was voice only in Wizards (1977) with the hero role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars (1977), Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983). He experienced a disfiguring car crash, but later played in Broadway, returning to film in 1989.
- He was originally cast as David on _"Eight Is Enough" (1977)_ (qv), and asked to be released from his contract before _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv) came out because he sensed the movie would be successful, and Hamill wanted to focus on his movie career. ABC refused to release him from his contract, thinking that having a successful movie star connected with the show would help "Eight is Enough" (1976). Hamill was then in a car crash in December 1976 and injured his face. This made him unavailable for shooting the TV series, and ABC was forced to recast the role of David, which then went to 'Grant Goodeve' (qv).
- Played the infamous Flash villain, The Trickster aka James Jesse (a word play for old west bandit Jesse James, a popular stunt for "Flash" creator 'Gardner Fox' (qv) and other series writers), in both the short lived live action CBS series _"The Flash" (1990)_ (qv), in 1991 (two episodes), and in the _"Justice League" (2001)_ (qv) animated series in 2005, in the episode "Flash and Substance".
- Mark and his "Star Wars" co-star 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) were both considered for the role of the bumbling wizard "Schmendrick" in the 1982 animated adaptation of _The Last Unicorn (1982)_ (qv).
- In an ironic counterpoint to his problem of being typecast as a upright hero like "Luke Skywalker" in live-action roles, he has found that his successful career as an animation voice actor has typecast him as a player of flamboyant villains like "The Joker" in the animated _"Batman" (1992)_ (qv) series.
- He did all his own stunts in _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv), except in the scene in Cloud city where he is sucked out of a window.
- Is one quarter Swedish.
- Worked for free on _Britannia Hospital (1982)_ (qv)
- Director 'Stephen Weeks (I)' (qv) originally wanted him for the part of "Sir Gawain" in _Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1984)_ (qv) but the producers refused and insisted on 'Miles O'Keeffe' (qv).