Sep. 25th, 1951
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Jak (Voiced)
Firelord Ozai (Voiced)
Solomon Grundy (Voiced)
His father was a captain in the United States Navy; he grew up in California, Virginia, New York and Japan. He majored in drama at Los Angeles City College and made his acting debut on "The Bill Cosby Show" (1969) in 1970. He played a continuing role (Kent Murray) in TV's "General Hospital" (1963) and co-starred in the respected TV comedy series "The Texas Wheelers" (1974). Real fame came with his film debut (he was voice only in Wizards (1977)) with the hero role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars (1977), Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983). He experienced a disfiguring car crash, but later played in Broadway, returning to film in 1989.
- He kept his Luke Skywalker boots, from the first "Star Wars" movie. When the movie was re-released to theaters in the late 1990s, his son asked if he could wear the boots to a showing. Hamill said no, telling him he didn't think the boy would "get out alive" if fans knew his boots were the originals.
- Has actually played two roles in the Star Wars trilogy. That's Mark's voice on the P.A. system announcing that "The first transport is away," in _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv).
- Director 'Stephen Weeks (I)' (qv) originally wanted him for the part of "Sir Gawain" in _Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1984)_ (qv) but the producers refused and insisted on 'Miles O'Keeffe' (qv).
- He was originally cast as David on _"Eight Is Enough" (1977)_ (qv), and asked to be released from his contract before _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv) came out because he sensed the movie would be successful, and Hamill wanted to focus on his movie career. ABC refused to release him from his contract, thinking that having a successful movie star connected with the show would help "Eight is Enough" (1976). Hamill was then in a car crash in December 1976 and injured his face. This made him unavailable for shooting the TV series, and ABC was forced to recast the role of David, which then went to 'Grant Goodeve' (qv).
- Auditioned for _American Graffiti (1973)_ (qv).
- He did all his own stunts in _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv), except in the scene in Cloud city where he is sucked out of a window.
- Claims his inspiration for the vocal interpretation as The Joker on the animated _"Batman" (1992)_ (qv) came from a mixture of Hannibal Lecter and 'Jerry Lewis (I)' (qv).
- Father of 'Nathan Hamill' (qv) (b. 25 June 1979), Griffin (b. 4 March 1983), Chelsea (b. 27 July 1988).