Feb. 2nd, 1973
New York City, New York, USA
Marissa Jaret Winokur's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Fever Pitch
2002 - Now You Know
2001 - Amy's Orgasm
2000 - Scary Movie
1999 - Never Been Kissed
1999 - American Beauty
Guest TV Roles
Woman in Elevator
Marissa Jaret Winokur sometimes credited as Marissa Winokur, is an American actress known for her performance as Tracy Turnblad in the highly successful Broadway musical adaptation of John Waters' film Hairspray, as well as her work on the Pamela Anderson sitcom Stacked. Some of her other TV Credits include Curb Your Enthusiasm, Moesha, The Steve Harvey Show, Just Shoot Me!, Felicity, and Dharma & Greg. She was a contestant on the popular reality competition series Dancing With the Stars and went on to host the similar Dance Your Ass Off. Most recently she was serving as a co-host on the daily daytime talk show The Talk, but did not return in 2011. Instead she would focus on her clothing line and a new cable TV show.
During the early development stages of Hairspray, Winokur was diagnosed with cervical cancer. She underwent treatment for the disease, without revealing her condition to anyone except her immediate family out of fear that she would be replaced in the musical. Ultimately she made a full recovery and remained in the show.
Winokur married Judah Miller, who was a writer on Stacked, on October 7, 2006. In March 2008, the couple announced that they were expecting their first child, a boy to be named Zev, via a surrogate mother and that the pregnancy was five months along. Zev Isaac Miller was born July 22, 2008, weighing in at 8 pounds 7 ounces and measured 21 inches long. Winokur and Miller helped deliver their son.
She is the great-niece of two famous American writers: S. J. Perelman and Nathanael West.
- Marissa and her husband, 'Judah Miller' (qv), became the parents of a son, Zev Issac Miller, on July 22, 2008. Zev weighed in at 8 lbs. 7 oz. and measured 21 inches long.
- Won Broadway's 2003 Tony Award as Best Actress (Musical) for her performance as Tracy Turnblad in "Hairspray."
- Niece of 'S.J. Perelman' (qv) and 'Nathanael West' (qv).
- Grew up in Bedford Village, New York.
- Joined the touring company of Grease, 1994-95, and later played Pink Lady Jan in Grease on Broadway (1995).
- Is the youngest of four siblings.
- Expecting her first child (via a surrogate) later this year with her husband, 'Judah Miller' (qv).
- Father Michael is a retired architect.