Jan. 23rd, 1964
Santa Monica, California, USA
Mariska Hargitay's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Stuck
2008 - The Love Guru
2001 - Perfume
1999 - Lake Placid
1995 - Leaving Las Vegas
1991 - The Perfect Weapon
1986 - Jocks
Guest TV Roles
Mariska (Ma-rish-ka) Magdolna Hargitay (born January 23, 1964), in Santa Monica, California. Her parents are 'Mickey Hargitay' and 'Jayne Mansfield'. She is the youngest of their three children. In June 1967, Mariska and her brothers Zoltan and Mickey Jr. were in the back seat of a car when it was involved in the fatal accident which killed her mother. The children escaped with minor injuries.
Mariska majored in theater at UCLA but dropped out before graduating. Her first motion picture feature was the cult favorite, Ghoulies (1985), where she gave a memorable performance as Donna. She also appeared in Leaving Las Vegas (1995), credited as 'Hooker at the bar', and in Lake Placid (1999) as Myra Okubo. Her latest movie, Plain Truth (2004), in which she plays attorney Ellie Harrison will air in the fall of 2004.
In 1999 she was cast in the role of Det. Olivia Benson in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999), the first spinoff from the excellent franchise of Law & Order (1990) which also has two other spinoffs, Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2001) and Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005). This show deals with sex crimes and the detectives who solve these cases.
Mariska speaks English, Hungarian, French and Italian. She married actor 'Peter Hermann' (August 28, 2004). They divide their time between New York and Los Angeles.
- Has a partially collapsed lung, but condition is improving [January 13, 2009].
- Majored in theatre at UCLA, but quit shortly before graduating.
- Became good friends with 'Maria Bello' (qv) when she had a recurring role on _"ER" (1994)_ (qv) in 1997-1998.
- Following the family's acting lineage, Mariska has a cousin, actor 'Eddie Hargitay' (qv).
- First woman ever from the Law and Order franchise to receive award nominations and wins.
- Married 'Peter Hermann (I)' (qv) on August 28, 2004 at California's Unitarian Historical Chapel.
- One of People magazine's "100 most beautiful" (2008).
- (14th September 2006) Her father 'Mickey Hargitay' (qv) died after a lengthy illness at the age of 80.