Apr. 26th, 1967
London, England, UK
Marianne Jean-Baptiste's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Edge of Tomorrow
2014 - The Moment
2010 - Takers
2008 - City of Ember
2001 - Spy Game
2000 - 28 Days
2000 - The Cell
1998 - A Murder of Crows
1996 - Secrets & Lies
Guest TV Roles
Judge Patricia Seabrook
Jean-Baptiste was born in London of Antiguan and St. Lucian ancestry. She was classically trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London and performed at the Royal National Theatre. She was nominated for a 1994 Ian Charleson Award for her performance in Measure For Measure with Cheek by Jowl.
She gained international success from the Mike Leigh-directed social drama Secrets & Lies (1996), receiving Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress nominations for her performance, becoming the first black British actress to be nominated for an Academy Award. She collaborated with director Mike Leigh onstage in It's a Great Big Shame (1993).
A writer and composer, Jean-Baptiste has recorded an album of blues songs and composed the musical score for Leigh's 1997 film Career Girls. In 1999, she performed in Paris in a French language production by Peter Brook of The Suit (Le Costume), a one-act play by Barney Simon and Mothobi Mutloatse, based on the short story by Can Themba.
Jean-Baptiste honed her American accent and starred in the American television series Without a Trace as FBI agent Vivian Johnson. More recently the actress has appeared in such films as Takers (2010), Secrets in the Walls (2010) and Harry's Law (2012). She played Detroit Chief of Police, Karen Dean, in RoboCop (2014).
- Mother of Pascale Williams.
- Classically trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London and performed at the Royal National Theatre.
- She became a star overnight following the international success of the social drama _Secrets & Lies (1996)_ (qv) in 1996, becoming the very first black British actress nominated for an Oscar award.
- In 1997, became the first black actress to fail to receive an NAACP Image Award nomination for an Oscar nominated role since the establishment of the awards.
- Her husband, Evan, is a ballet dancer.
- Claimed racism after being excluded from the actor group promoting British talent at the Cannes Film Festival.
- Recorded an album of blues songs. Also a writer/composer.
- Best known for her colloboration with director 'Mike Leigh' (qv) on stage "It's a Great Big Shame" (1993), and especially the breakout film _Secrets & Lies (1996)_ (qv). She also composed the musical score for Leigh's 1997 film _Career Girls (1997)_ (qv).