Mar. 27th, 1969
Huntington, New York, USA
Mariah Carey's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Tennessee
2008 - You Don't Mess With the Zohan
2005 - State Property 2
2001 - Glitter
1999 - The Bachelor
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Musical Guest
Herself - Guest
Herself - Guest
Mariah Carey was born in Long Island, New York, on March 27, 1969. Her parents are Patricia Hickey (Irish-American) and Alfred Roy Carey (African-American/Venezuelan). Mariah attended Greenlawn's Harborfields High School. In June of 1990, Mariah made her debut with "Mariah Carey" which entered at #73, but on August 4, 1990, it reached #1. Her 1990 self-titled debut album went multi-platinum and spawned an extraordinary four consecutive #1 singles: "Vision of Love," "Love Takes Time," "Someday" and "I Don't Wanna Cry," and led to Grammy Awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Vocalist. Her 1993 album titled Music Box went ten-times platinum. On September 30, 1995, she made music history. Her single "Fantasy" from her 1995 Daydream album debuted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the first female artist to accomplish a number one debut in the U.S. Her other Daydream's single "One Sweet Day" remained for 16 weeks at the top of the charts. She is the only artist since The Beatles to have so many #1 singles and albums. With "Heartbreaker", the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow and also her 14 #1 single, she became the only artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s, and with "Heartbreaker" at its 60th week atop the Billboard's charts, she pushed ahead of The Beatles's 59-week record as the only artist with the most cumulative weeks spent atop Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart. Following "Heartbreaker," her second single "Thank God I Found You" also from her Rainbow album became her 15th #1. "We Belong Together" from her 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi became her 16th #1 single and was also her first #1 without any guest artists since her song "My All" (also a #1 single) captured the top spot in May 1998. The single "Don't Forget About Us" also from her 2005 album Emancipation of Mimi became her 17th #1 single, tying her with Elvis Presley's 17 #1 singles. Three more Grammy Awards were gained from The Emancipation of Mimi album. She is the most successful selling female artist in music history and is the only female artist to have the most #1 singles and albums and also holds the record for straight #1 singles and albums each year. Along with numerous awards and incredible vocal range, she also composes all of her own material, with the exception of song covers.
In April 2008, the single "Touch My Body" became her 18th #1 single, pushing her ahead of Elvis Presley's 17 #1 singles. Now she is the only artist since The Beatles to have as many number one singles and the only singer alive likely to succeed them.
- Composes all of her own material, except for song covers.
- 154 thousand copies of her new album, E=MC2, were sold on its first day of release. (April 2008).
- With 18 #1 hits, she is in 2nd place among all artists with the most No. 1s in music history, with The Beatles remaining in first place with 20. She surpassed 'Elvis Presley' (qv)'s 17 #1 hits with "Touch My Body" as her 18th #1.
- Ranked #71 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.
- Ranked #19 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- Has worked with an extensive amount of musicians, including: 'Brian McKnight' (qv), 'Whitney Houston' (qv), Boyz II Men, 'Jay-Z' (qv), 'Snoop Dogg' (qv), 'Cam'ron' (qv), 'Carole King' (qv), 'CÚline Dion' (qv), 'Michael Jackson (I)' (qv), 98 Degrees, Joe, 'Da Brat' (qv), 'Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott' (qv), 'Aretha Franklin' (qv), 'Shania Twain' (qv) and many, many more.
- Dated Latin singer 'Luis Miguel (II)' (qv).
- Her seventh studio album, titled 'Charmbracelet', will be released on December 3, 2002, a week earlier than originally planned.