Apr. 19th, 1987
Nyagan, USSR [now Russia]
Maria Sharapova's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles
Maria started hitting tennis balls at the age of four. At the age of six, Maria Sharapova participated in a exhibition in Moscow that featured Martina Navratilova. So, at the age of nine, she began training at Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy located in Bradenton, Florida, USA. Therefore, during those two years, she was separated from her mother for two year due to visa restrictions and finances. Maria occasionally travels with her father and works with tennis coach managers Michael Baroch and Robert Lansdorp. During her leisure time off court, Maria's interest includes modeling in fashion, singing, jazz dancing and movies (Pearl Harbor (2001)). Maria enjoys reading books of her interest in the "Sherlock Holmes" and "Pippi Longstocking" collection series. Basically, Maria's favorite dessert is 'anything'. Maria favors Russian music and food, but except for Italian bread.
- Her loudest grunt was measured at 101.2 decibels (louder than a motorcycle or a lawnmower) on 21 June 2005 at Wimbledon Centre Court. Previously the loudest grunt was by 'Monica Seles' (qv) at 93.2 decibels.
- She defeated world #1 'Amelie Mauresmo' 6-0, 4-6, 6-0 in the semifinals and world #2 'Justine Henin' (qv) 6-4, 6-4 in the final of the 2006 US Open to win the title and $1.7 million in prize money.
- Named #8 in FHM magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006" supplement. (2006).
- Very close friends with fellow tennis player 'Maria Kirilenko' (qv).
- Wears a size 10 shoe.
- Became number 1 in the world in August 2005 & is the first Russian player to become the best player in the world
- On the Forbes 2006 Richest Young Celebrities List, it is reported she earned $18.2 million in 2005. She was the highest-paid female athlete of the year.
- Ranked #17 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.