Apr. 19th, 1987
Nyagan, USSR [now Russia]
Maria Sharapova's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles
Maria started hitting tennis balls at the age of four. At the age of six, Maria Sharapova participated in a exhibition in Moscow that featured Martina Navratilova. So, at the age of nine, she began training at Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy located in Bradenton, Florida, USA. Therefore, during those two years, she was separated from her mother for two year due to visa restrictions and finances. Maria occasionally travels with her father and works with tennis coach managers Michael Baroch and Robert Lansdorp. During her leisure time off court, Maria's interest includes modeling in fashion, singing, jazz dancing and movies (Pearl Harbor (2001)). Maria enjoys reading books of her interest in the "Sherlock Holmes" and "Pippi Longstocking" collection series. Basically, Maria's favorite dessert is 'anything'. Maria favors Russian music and food, but except for Italian bread.
- 2004 women's Wimbledon champion. Defeated two-time defending champion 'Serena Williams' (qv) 6-1, 6-4.
- Was named one of the 50 Most Beautiful People by People Magazine in 2005.
- Born in Siberia, Russia, and raised in the United States since age seven. Father Yuri brought her to the U.S. in 1994, but mother Yelena didn't join them until two years later due to visa problems.
- Very close friends with fellow tennis player 'Maria Kirilenko' (qv).
- She was (and still is) so ambidextrous that she almost became a left-handed tennis player.
- Became number 1 in the world in August 2005 & is the first Russian player to become the best player in the world
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $23 million.
- On the Forbes 2006 Richest Young Celebrities List, it is reported she earned $18.2 million in 2005. She was the highest-paid female athlete of the year.