Jun. 29th, 1957
5' 6 1/2"
Maria Conchita Alonso's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Cuba, but raised in Caracas, Venezuela, Maria Conchita Alonso was crowned Miss Teenager of the World in 1971 and Miss Venezuela in 1975. She became a popular actress in Latin America, working in ten telenovelas (soap operas) and starred in a quartet of Venezuelan films. She was also a popular singer, and has three Grammy nominations. In 1982, she emigrated to the US, and made her Hollywood film debut in 1984 in Paul Mazursky's Moscow on the Hudson (1984), opposite Robin Williams (I). In 1995 she was playing "Aurora/Spider Woman" in a Broadway production of "Kiss of the Spider Woman", making her the first South American woman to star on the Great White Way.
- Speaks 4 languages - Spanish, English, French and Italian
- Was initially offered the role of Lupe Lamora in _Licence to Kill (1989)_ (qv), but dropped out, and the role was given to 'Talisa Soto' (qv).
- Miss Distrito Federal 1975
- Became a US citizen on 10th October 2005.
- Was considered for the role of Eva Peron in _Evita (1996)_ (qv).
- "Love Maniac" was her first album. It was released on 1979 under the nickname of Ambar. The album was recorded in English and the songs were heavily influenced by 'Donna Summer' (qv) and other disco music artists from that era. The record label decided not to use Alonso's picture on the cover for the promo single and the release of the song was surrounded by mystery. The marketing strategy paid off and the song went to become a huge hit, topping the Venezuelan charts in September of that year.
- Schooled in Switzerland and Spain
- She has her own record label Ambar Entertainment, and her own production company called Ambyth Prods.