Jun. 29th, 1957
5' 6 1/2"
Maria Conchita Alonso's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Dark Moon Rising
2009 - Spread
2008 - The Art of Travel
2006 - Material Girls
1997 - Acts of Betrayal
1996 - Caught
1993 - The House of the Spirits
1991 - McBain
1990 - Predator 2
1988 - Vampire's Kiss
1988 - Colors
1987 - Extreme Prejudice
1987 - The Running Man
1986 - A Fine Mess
1984 - Moscow on the Hudson
1984 - Fear City
Guest TV Roles
Marie Elena Casafranca
Born in Cuba, but raised in Caracas, Venezuela, Maria Conchita Alonso was crowned Miss Teenager of the World in 1971 and Miss Venezuela in 1975. She became a popular actress in Latin America, working in ten telenovelas (soap operas) and starred in a quartet of Venezuelan films. She was also a popular singer, and has three Grammy nominations. In 1982, she emigrated to the US, and made her Hollywood film debut in 1984 in Paul Mazursky's Moscow on the Hudson (1984), opposite Robin Williams (I). In 1995 she was playing "Aurora/Spider Woman" in a Broadway production of "Kiss of the Spider Woman", making her the first South American woman to star on the Great White Way.
- She has her own record label Ambar Entertainment, and her own production company called Ambyth Prods.
- Was considered for the role of Eva Peron in _Evita (1996)_ (qv).
- In the early 80s, she released two albums under the nickname of Ambar, (Love Maniac and The Witch), with huge success.
- 6th in Miss World 1975
- Was initially offered the role of Lupe Lamora in _Licence to Kill (1989)_ (qv), but dropped out, and the role was given to 'Talisa Soto' (qv).
- Was originally considered for the part of Matron in _Edmond (2005)_ (qv), but had to decline because she had a tour in Mexico during the time the film would be shot. The role was eventually given to 'Debi Mazar' (qv).
- "Love Maniac" was her first album. It was released on 1979 under the nickname of Ambar. The album was recorded in English and the songs were heavily influenced by 'Donna Summer' (qv) and other disco music artists from that era. The record label decided not to use Alonso's picture on the cover for the promo single and the release of the song was surrounded by mystery. The marketing strategy paid off and the song went to become a huge hit, topping the Venezuelan charts in September of that year.
- Schooled in Switzerland and Spain