Nov. 16th, 1958
Fremont, Nebraska, USA
Marg Helgenberger's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Mary Marg Helgenberger (born November 16, 1958) is an American actress.
Born in Fremont, Nebraska to Mary Kay (née Bolte), a nurse, and Hugh Helgenberger, a meat inspector. She was raised in North Bend, Nebraska where she graduated from North Bend Central High School. Helgenberger is of Irish and German descent and had a Roman Catholic upbringing. She has one older sister named Ann and a younger brother named Curt. Helgenberger played the French horn in her high school marching band. Until she went to college, Helgenberger aspired to be a nurse like her mother but attended Kearney State College (now the University of Nebraska at Kearney) in Kearney, Nebraska, then attended Northwestern University's School of Speech in Evanston, Illinois (now the School of Communication) and earned a B.S. degree in speech and drama.
Helgenberger is an established dramatic actress whose prominence has been steadily increasing. Her work has been noted on stage, film and TV. Most of her career has been spent in dramatic roles on television, but she has also had a noteworthy presence in feature films.
Helgenberger earned a degree in drama at Northwestern University. A talent scout recruited her from there to work on the soap opera Ryan's Hope (1975) where she appeared over the course of the next four years.
Throughout the 1990s Helgenberger took on numerous roles in made-for-TV movies and as a guest star on many TV series. In particular she appeared in many movies made specifically for the Lifetime cable network and also for Showtime. She won critical acclaim for In Sickness and in Health (1992), Thanks of a Grateful Nation (1998) (TV) and Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: JonBen�t and the City of Boulder (2000).
In TV series she won an Emmy for her portrayal of a hard-bitten prostitute who catered to Vietnam War soldiers, in the series China Beach (1988). She also was 'George Clooney's love interest in a multi-episode arc of the monumentally successful TV series ER (1994).
In feature films, Helgenberger has appeared in Tootsie (1982), 'Steven Spielberg's Always (1989), Species (1995) and In Good Company (2004).
Her greatest claim to fame on the silver screen may be when she played opposite 'Julia Roberts' as a chemical exposure victim in the popular movie Erin Brockovich (2000).
Helgenberger is most known for her TV role as a crime scene investigator in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000). She shared in CSI's 2005 Screen Actors Guild award for outstanding performance by an ensemble in a drama series.
Helgenberger only appeared in the first twelve episodes of the twelfth season of CSI, as she wanted to return to the stage. The producers said they left the door open for Helgenberger if she wanted to return. Helgenberger left the show on January 25, 2012, during a two-part episode ("Ms. Willows Regrets" and "Willows in the Wind"). The last one was the most watched episode of the season with 14.26 million viewers.
Helgenberger is currently starring as Lilian Strand in the series Intelligence alongside 'Josh Holloway' and 'Meghan Ory'. Additionally, she briefly returned to CSI as Catherine for the 300th episode.
In 1984, Helgenberger met Alan Rosenberg, a guest actor on Ryan's Hope. The two became friends and started dating in 1986. They married in (1989) and have one son, Hugh Howard Rosenberg (b. 1990), named after Helgenberger's late father. On December 1, 2008, the couple announced that they were separating, and on March 25, 2009, she filed for divorce. Their divorce was finalized in (February 2010).
As a result of Helgenberger's mother's 27-year battle against breast cancer, Helgenberger and Rosenberg became involved in the fight against breast cancer and have hosted a benefit called Marg and Alan's Celebrity Weekend annually in Omaha since 1999.
- Got her start as a local news weather girl in her native Nebraska. The news producer felt her name was too long and made her change it to Margi McCarty. This was her night job. Her day job was as a meat boner at the meat packing plant where her father was a meat inspector.
- Her mother, Kay, is an Irish American and her father, Hugh, was a German American.
- Has been portrayed in several CSI games.
- Meet husband Alan in 1984 and they started dating in 1986.
- Six years before the premiere of _"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (2000)_ (qv), she and 'Gary Dourdan' (qv) starred together in an unsuccessful TV series pilot called _Keys (1994) (TV)_ (qv).
- Has a son: Hugh Howard Rosenberg; born Oct 21, 1990 and named after Marg's father, who died in 1986 of complications from Multiple Sclerosis.
- Sister-in-law of 'Mark Rosenberg (I)' (qv) and 'Paula Weinstein' (qv).
- Middle of 3 children. Her older sister is Ann Helgenberger (jazz musician) and her younger brother is Curt Helgenberger (a meat inspector).