May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - Dandelion
1994 - The War
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1989 - Miracle Mile
1989 - Turner & Hooch
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
1980 - One Trick Pony
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Her TV debut at age 16 was on _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv).
- Was one of the nine original members of the 1980s "brat pack," along with 'Judd Nelson' (qv), 'Andrew McCarthy (I)' (qv), 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv), 'Demi Moore' (qv), 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv), 'Molly Ringwald' (qv), 'Emilio Estevez' (qv), and 'Ally Sheedy' (qv).
- Met first husband, A. Martinez while both acted in "The Young Pioneers" (1978). Their marriage in 1981 lasted only a few months. She married her second husband, Bill Mapel, the same year.
- She, 'Kate Winslet' (qv) and 'Vanessa Redgrave' (qv) are the only actresses nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Supporting Actress category for playing the title role in a movie. Redgrave won the Oscar for the character Julia in _Julia (1977)_ (qv), Winslet was nominated for _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv) and Winningham was nominated for the character Georgia in _Georgia (1995)_ (qv).
- Winningham was raised in Northridge, California, with three brothers and one sister. Her father was the Chairman of the Department of Physical Education at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), and her mother was an English teacher and college counselor at a local high school. She credits her first interest in acting to seeing an interview with 'Kym Karath' (qv) (who played Gretl in _The Sound of Music (1965)_ (qv)) on 'Art Linkletter' (qv)'s television show _"House Party" (1952)_ (qv) when she was five or six years old.
- She played a virgin in the movie _St. Elmo's Fire (1985)_ (qv) while she was pregnant.
- When she appeared as a contestant on TV's _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv) (c. 1978), she was introduced as Sharon Shamus by host 'Chuck Barris' (qv). She played guitar and sang the Lennon & McCartney song "Here, There and Everywhere." And no. . . she did not get gonged. The panel loved her.
- Went to Chatsworth High School in Los Angeles with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) and 'Kevin Spacey' (qv). During their senior year, Kevin played von Trapp and Mare played Maria in a school production of "The Sound of Music." Upon hearing of their Oscar nominations in 1996, Winningham sent a telegram to Spacey saying: "Captain von Trapp - congratulations on your nomination - Maria."