May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Philomena
2012 - The Brothers Grimm: Snow White
2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - The Adventures of Ociee Nash
2004 - Dandelion
1994 - The War
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1989 - Turner and Hooch
1989 - Miracle Mile
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
Guest TV Roles
Miss Hazel Evers
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Went to Chatsworth High School in Los Angeles with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) and 'Kevin Spacey' (qv). During their senior year, Kevin played von Trapp and Mare played Maria in a school production of "The Sound of Music." Upon hearing of their Oscar nominations in 1996, Winningham sent a telegram to Spacey saying: "Captain von Trapp - congratulations on your nomination - Maria."
- Is the only brat packer ever to be nominated for an Academy Award (for _Georgia (1995)_ (qv)).
- Met first husband, A. Martinez while both acted in "The Young Pioneers" (1978). Their marriage in 1981 lasted only a few months. She married her second husband, Bill Mapel, the same year.
- When she appeared as a contestant on TV's _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv) (c. 1978), she was introduced as Sharon Shamus by host 'Chuck Barris' (qv). She played guitar and sang the Lennon & McCartney song "Here, There and Everywhere." And no. . . she did not get gonged. The panel loved her.
- Children: Riley Mapel (1981-2005), Patrick "Paddy" Mapel and Jack Mapel (b. 1985), Calla Louise Mapel (b. 1987), and Happy Atticus Mapel (born 1988).
- She, 'Kate Winslet' (qv) and 'Vanessa Redgrave' (qv) are the only actresses nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Supporting Actress category for playing the title role in a movie. Redgrave won the Oscar for the character Julia in _Julia (1977)_ (qv), Winslet was nominated for _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv) and Winningham was nominated for the character Georgia in _Georgia (1995)_ (qv).
- Oldest child, son Riley Mapel, committed suicide on August 14, 2005.
- Though born an Irish Catholic, in 2000, Winningham felt her spiritual life was lacking, and, based on a recommendation from a friend, in November 2001, she signed up for a class given by Rabbi Neal Wienberg at the University of Judaism in Los Angeles, California. On March 3, 2003, she converted to Judaism and became a member of two Conservative synagogues, Temple Beth Am in Los Angeles and Temple Knesset Israel in Hollywood, California.