May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- Was one of the nine original members of the 1980s "brat pack," along with 'Judd Nelson' (qv), 'Andrew McCarthy (I)' (qv), 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv), 'Demi Moore' (qv), 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv), 'Molly Ringwald' (qv), 'Emilio Estevez' (qv), and 'Ally Sheedy' (qv).
- Met first husband, A. Martinez while both acted in "The Young Pioneers" (1978). Their marriage in 1981 lasted only a few months. She married her second husband, Bill Mapel, the same year.
- Winningham was raised in Northridge, California, with three brothers and one sister. Her father was the Chairman of the Department of Physical Education at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), and her mother was an English teacher and college counselor at a local high school. She credits her first interest in acting to seeing an interview with 'Kym Karath' (qv) (who played Gretl in _The Sound of Music (1965)_ (qv)) on 'Art Linkletter' (qv)'s television show _"House Party" (1952)_ (qv) when she was five or six years old.
- She played a virgin in the movie _St. Elmo's Fire (1985)_ (qv) while she was pregnant.
- She is also a folk singer-songwriter with a couple of albums.
- Her TV debut at age 16 was on _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv).
- Oldest child, son Riley Mapel, committed suicide on August 14, 2005.
- Is the only brat packer ever to be nominated for an Academy Award (for _Georgia (1995)_ (qv)).