May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Philomena
2012 - The Brothers Grimm: Snow White
2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - Dandelion
2004 - The Adventures of Ociee Nash
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1994 - The War
1989 - Turner and Hooch
1989 - Miracle Mile
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
Guest TV Roles
Miss Hazel Evers
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Was one of the nine original members of the 1980s "brat pack," along with 'Judd Nelson' (qv), 'Andrew McCarthy (I)' (qv), 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv), 'Demi Moore' (qv), 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv), 'Molly Ringwald' (qv), 'Emilio Estevez' (qv), and 'Ally Sheedy' (qv).
- Met first husband, A. Martinez while both acted in "The Young Pioneers" (1978). Their marriage in 1981 lasted only a few months. She married her second husband, Bill Mapel, the same year.
- Children: Riley Mapel (1981-2005), Patrick "Paddy" Mapel and Jack Mapel (b. 1985), Calla Louise Mapel (b. 1987), and Happy Atticus Mapel (born 1988).
- Is the only brat packer ever to be nominated for an Academy Award (for _Georgia (1995)_ (qv)).
- She, 'Kate Winslet' (qv) and 'Vanessa Redgrave' (qv) are the only actresses nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Supporting Actress category for playing the title role in a movie. Redgrave won the Oscar for the character Julia in _Julia (1977)_ (qv), Winslet was nominated for _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv) and Winningham was nominated for the character Georgia in _Georgia (1995)_ (qv).
- Oldest child, son Riley Mapel, committed suicide on August 14, 2005.
- Winningham attended Andasol Avenue Elementary School in Northridge, California. Her favorite subjects included drama. She also signed up for guitar lessons at a local park, and by the 6th grade, was, in her view, "pretty good." It was at this time that she adopted the nickname "Mare." She attended Patrick Henry Junior High School, taking the extended drama option, and on summer vacations, she studied drama at CSUN's Teenage Drama Workshop.
- When she appeared as a contestant on TV's _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv) (c. 1978), she was introduced as Sharon Shamus by host 'Chuck Barris' (qv). She played guitar and sang the Lennon & McCartney song "Here, There and Everywhere." And no. . . she did not get gonged. The panel loved her.