May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Philomena
2012 - The Brothers Grimm: Snow White
2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - The Adventures of Ociee Nash
2004 - Dandelion
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1994 - The War
1989 - Turner and Hooch
1989 - Miracle Mile
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Oldest child, son Riley Mapel, committed suicide on August 14, 2005.
- She, 'Kate Winslet' (qv) and 'Vanessa Redgrave' (qv) are the only actresses nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Supporting Actress category for playing the title role in a movie. Redgrave won the Oscar for the character Julia in _Julia (1977)_ (qv), Winslet was nominated for _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv) and Winningham was nominated for the character Georgia in _Georgia (1995)_ (qv).
- She played a virgin in the movie _St. Elmo's Fire (1985)_ (qv) while she was pregnant.
- She is also a folk singer-songwriter with a couple of albums.
- She is the oldest member of the Brat Pack.
- Her TV debut at age 16 was on _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv).
- Went to Chatsworth High School in Los Angeles with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) and 'Kevin Spacey' (qv). During their senior year, Kevin played von Trapp and Mare played Maria in a school production of "The Sound of Music." Upon hearing of their Oscar nominations in 1996, Winningham sent a telegram to Spacey saying: "Captain von Trapp - congratulations on your nomination - Maria."
- Was one of the nine original members of the 1980s "brat pack," along with 'Judd Nelson' (qv), 'Andrew McCarthy (I)' (qv), 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv), 'Demi Moore' (qv), 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv), 'Molly Ringwald' (qv), 'Emilio Estevez' (qv), and 'Ally Sheedy' (qv).