May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Philomena
2012 - The Brothers Grimm: Snow White
2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - The Adventures of Ociee Nash
2004 - Dandelion
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1994 - The War
1989 - Turner and Hooch
1989 - Miracle Mile
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Oldest child, son Riley Mapel, committed suicide on August 14, 2005.
- She, 'Kate Winslet' (qv) and 'Vanessa Redgrave' (qv) are the only actresses nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Supporting Actress category for playing the title role in a movie. Redgrave won the Oscar for the character Julia in _Julia (1977)_ (qv), Winslet was nominated for _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv) and Winningham was nominated for the character Georgia in _Georgia (1995)_ (qv).
- Is the only brat packer ever to be nominated for an Academy Award (for _Georgia (1995)_ (qv)).
- Her TV debut at age 16 was on _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv).
- Though born an Irish Catholic, in 2000, Winningham felt her spiritual life was lacking, and, based on a recommendation from a friend, in November 2001, she signed up for a class given by Rabbi Neal Wienberg at the University of Judaism in Los Angeles, California. On March 3, 2003, she converted to Judaism and became a member of two Conservative synagogues, Temple Beth Am in Los Angeles and Temple Knesset Israel in Hollywood, California.
- Winningham was raised in Northridge, California, with three brothers and one sister. Her father was the Chairman of the Department of Physical Education at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), and her mother was an English teacher and college counselor at a local high school. She credits her first interest in acting to seeing an interview with 'Kym Karath' (qv) (who played Gretl in _The Sound of Music (1965)_ (qv)) on 'Art Linkletter' (qv)'s television show _"House Party" (1952)_ (qv) when she was five or six years old.
- Met first husband, A. Martinez while both acted in "The Young Pioneers" (1978). Their marriage in 1981 lasted only a few months. She married her second husband, Bill Mapel, the same year.
- Winningham attended Andasol Avenue Elementary School in Northridge, California. Her favorite subjects included drama. She also signed up for guitar lessons at a local park, and by the 6th grade, was, in her view, "pretty good." It was at this time that she adopted the nickname "Mare." She attended Patrick Henry Junior High School, taking the extended drama option, and on summer vacations, she studied drama at CSUN's Teenage Drama Workshop.