May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Philomena
2012 - The Brothers Grimm: Snow White
2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - The Adventures of Ociee Nash
2004 - Dandelion
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1994 - The War
1989 - Miracle Mile
1989 - Turner and Hooch
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Winningham attended Andasol Avenue Elementary School in Northridge, California. Her favorite subjects included drama. She also signed up for guitar lessons at a local park, and by the 6th grade, was, in her view, "pretty good." It was at this time that she adopted the nickname "Mare." She attended Patrick Henry Junior High School, taking the extended drama option, and on summer vacations, she studied drama at CSUN's Teenage Drama Workshop.
- Her TV debut at age 16 was on _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv).
- Met first husband, A. Martinez while both acted in "The Young Pioneers" (1978). Their marriage in 1981 lasted only a few months. She married her second husband, Bill Mapel, the same year.
- Is the only brat packer ever to be nominated for an Academy Award (for _Georgia (1995)_ (qv)).
- When she appeared as a contestant on TV's _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv) (c. 1978), she was introduced as Sharon Shamus by host 'Chuck Barris' (qv). She played guitar and sang the Lennon & McCartney song "Here, There and Everywhere." And no. . . she did not get gonged. The panel loved her.
- Though born an Irish Catholic, in 2000, Winningham felt her spiritual life was lacking, and, based on a recommendation from a friend, in November 2001, she signed up for a class given by Rabbi Neal Wienberg at the University of Judaism in Los Angeles, California. On March 3, 2003, she converted to Judaism and became a member of two Conservative synagogues, Temple Beth Am in Los Angeles and Temple Knesset Israel in Hollywood, California.
- Went to Chatsworth High School in Los Angeles with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) and 'Kevin Spacey' (qv). During their senior year, Kevin played von Trapp and Mare played Maria in a school production of "The Sound of Music." Upon hearing of their Oscar nominations in 1996, Winningham sent a telegram to Spacey saying: "Captain von Trapp - congratulations on your nomination - Maria."
- Children: Riley Mapel (1981-2005), Patrick "Paddy" Mapel and Jack Mapel (b. 1985), Calla Louise Mapel (b. 1987), and Happy Atticus Mapel (born 1988).