May. 16th, 1959
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Mare Winningham's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Swing Vote
2004 - Dandelion
1994 - The War
1994 - Wyatt Earp
1989 - Miracle Mile
1989 - Turner & Hooch
1987 - Made in Heaven
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
1980 - One Trick Pony
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Amanda Lee
Ellis Hartley Monroe
- Winningham was raised in Northridge, California, with three brothers and one sister. Her father was the Chairman of the Department of Physical Education at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), and her mother was an English teacher and college counselor at a local high school. She credits her first interest in acting to seeing an interview with 'Kym Karath' (qv) (who played Gretl in _The Sound of Music (1965)_ (qv)) on 'Art Linkletter' (qv)'s television show _"House Party" (1952)_ (qv) when she was five or six years old.
- Went to Chatsworth High School in Los Angeles with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) and 'Kevin Spacey' (qv). During their senior year, Kevin played von Trapp and Mare played Maria in a school production of "The Sound of Music." Upon hearing of their Oscar nominations in 1996, Winningham sent a telegram to Spacey saying: "Captain von Trapp - congratulations on your nomination - Maria."
- Her TV debut at age 16 was on _"The Gong Show" (1976)_ (qv).
- Children: Riley Mapel (1981-2005), Patrick "Paddy" Mapel and Jack Mapel (b. 1985), Calla Louise Mapel (b. 1987), and Happy Atticus Mapel (born 1988).
- She is the oldest member of the Brat Pack.
- Is the only brat packer ever to be nominated for an Academy Award (for _Georgia (1995)_ (qv)).
- Winningham attended Andasol Avenue Elementary School in Northridge, California. Her favorite subjects included drama. She also signed up for guitar lessons at a local park, and by the 6th grade, was, in her view, "pretty good." It was at this time that she adopted the nickname "Mare." She attended Patrick Henry Junior High School, taking the extended drama option, and on summer vacations, she studied drama at CSUN's Teenage Drama Workshop.
- Was one of the nine original members of the 1980s "brat pack," along with 'Judd Nelson' (qv), 'Andrew McCarthy (I)' (qv), 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv), 'Demi Moore' (qv), 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv), 'Molly Ringwald' (qv), 'Emilio Estevez' (qv), and 'Ally Sheedy' (qv).