Nov. 30th, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mandy Patinkin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Wish I Was Here
2006 - Choking Man
2006 - Everyone's Hero
1999 - The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
1993 - Life With Mikey
1991 - Impromptu
1991 - Madonna: Truth or Dare
1991 - The Doctor
1991 - True Colors
1990 - Dick Tracy
1988 - Alien Nation
1987 - The Princess Bride
1983 - Yentl
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Night of the Juggler
1979 - Last Embrace
1978 - The Big Fix
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Levi 'The Griffin' March
Hugh St. John Alastair Parkfield (Voiced)
Dr. Jeffrey Geiger
Mandy Patinkin (born Mandel Bruce Patinkin; November 30, 1952) to Lester, a scrap metal dealer and Doris "Doralee". His first name was a tribute to his grandfather. Growing up he began singing in synagogue choirs at the age of 13-14 and still continues to use his fantastic voice in musicals and in recordings.
Attending Juilliard he became good friends with actor 'Kelsey Grammer' and upon hearing that Cheers was auditioning for the role of Dr. Frasier Crane he immediately put Grammer's name forward for the role.
Rumours persist about Patinkin's sudden departure from Criminal Minds. He simply failed to show up one day for a table read. He has contacted the entire cast to explain what is referred to as "personal reasons" for leaving. It seems that although Patinkin was prepared for the show to include violence the actual level of violence portrayed was unacceptable to the actor. He left to do more light hearted work.
Patinkin supports many charities including: PAX, Doctors Without Borders, Americans for Peace Now, The September 11th Fund, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and Gilda's Club.
- Occasional appearances on _"Late Show with David Letterman" (1993)_ (qv) on CBS-TV. His most memorable performances were with 'Tony Randall (I)' (qv), who accompanied him pretending to have had a taxi breakdown and therefore needing an emergency rehearsal hall. Mandy then brings down the house with 'Al Jolson' (qv) standards "Swanee", "Mammy", etc.
- Attended the University of Kansas for two years before being "discovered."
- Was not asked to reprise his Tony award winning role of 'Che' in the movie version of _Evita (1996)_ (qv).
- In 2000 he released a CD entitled Kidults featuring childrens songs among others.
- Briefly studied acting at New York's Juilliard School of Drama, but dropped out to pursue work.
- Portrayed a spirit from the '50s in a 7-Up ad for his first TV commercial in 1970. Also played the lead in the very first TV commercial for Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats.
- 1970 graduate of Kenwood High School, Chicago
- Mandy's mother is Doralee Patinkin Rubin, a cookbook author, who is to have her own cooking show on the Food Network.