Nov. 30th, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mandy Patinkin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Wish I Was Here
2006 - Choking Man
2006 - Everyone's Hero
1999 - The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
1991 - True Colors
1991 - Madonna: Truth or Dare
1991 - The Doctor
1991 - Impromptu
1990 - Dick Tracy
1988 - Alien Nation
1987 - The Princess Bride
1983 - Yentl
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Night of the Juggler
1979 - Last Embrace
1978 - The Big Fix
Guest TV Roles
Levi 'The Griffin' March
Hugh St. John Alastair Parkfield (Voiced)
Himself - Actor (segment "Mandy Patinkin")
Dr. Jeffrey Geiger
Mandy Patinkin (born Mandel Bruce Patinkin; November 30, 1952) to Lester, a scrap metal dealer and Doris "Doralee". His first name was a tribute to his grandfather. Growing up he began singing in synagogue choirs at the age of 13-14 and still continues to use his fantastic voice in musicals and in recordings.
Attending Juilliard he became good friends with actor 'Kelsey Grammer' and upon hearing that Cheers was auditioning for the role of Dr. Frasier Crane he immediately put Grammer's name forward for the role.
Rumours persist about Patinkin's sudden departure from Criminal Minds. He simply failed to show up one day for a table read. He has contacted the entire cast to explain what is referred to as "personal reasons" for leaving. It seems that although Patinkin was prepared for the show to include violence the actual level of violence portrayed was unacceptable to the actor. He left to do more light hearted work.
Patinkin supports many charities including: PAX, Doctors Without Borders, Americans for Peace Now, The September 11th Fund, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and Gilda's Club.
- Began singing in the temple choir at age 9.
- Fans of _The Princess Bride (1987)_ (qv) frequently attend his live performances just to hear him utter the famous line, "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He frequently includes it towards the end of the show.
- (November 1998) Had left cornea replaced due to degenerative eye disease (keratoconus)
- (May 1997) Had right cornea replaced due to degenerative eye disease
- Was not asked to reprise his Tony award winning role of 'Che' in the movie version of _Evita (1996)_ (qv).
- Attended the University of Kansas for two years before being "discovered."
- Occasional appearances on _"Late Show with David Letterman" (1993)_ (qv) on CBS-TV. His most memorable performances were with 'Tony Randall (I)' (qv), who accompanied him pretending to have had a taxi breakdown and therefore needing an emergency rehearsal hall. Mandy then brings down the house with 'Al Jolson' (qv) standards "Swanee", "Mammy", etc.
- In 2000 he released a CD entitled Kidults featuring childrens songs among others.