Nov. 30th, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mandy Patinkin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Wish I Was Here
2006 - Everyone's Hero
2006 - Choking Man
1999 - The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
1994 - Squanto - A Warrior's Tale
1991 - Impromptu
1991 - True Colors
1991 - The Doctor
1991 - Madonna: Truth or Dare
1990 - Dick Tracy
1988 - Alien Nation
1987 - The Princess Bride
1983 - Yentl
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Night of the Juggler
1979 - Last Embrace
1978 - The Big Fix
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Levi 'The Griffin' March
Hugh St. John Alastair Parkfield (Voiced)
Himself - Actor (segment "Mandy Patinkin")
Mandy Patinkin (born Mandel Bruce Patinkin; November 30, 1952) to Lester, a scrap metal dealer and Doris "Doralee". His first name was a tribute to his grandfather. Growing up he began singing in synagogue choirs at the age of 13-14 and still continues to use his fantastic voice in musicals and in recordings.
Attending Juilliard he became good friends with actor 'Kelsey Grammer' and upon hearing that Cheers was auditioning for the role of Dr. Frasier Crane he immediately put Grammer's name forward for the role.
Rumours persist about Patinkin's sudden departure from Criminal Minds. He simply failed to show up one day for a table read. He has contacted the entire cast to explain what is referred to as "personal reasons" for leaving. It seems that although Patinkin was prepared for the show to include violence the actual level of violence portrayed was unacceptable to the actor. He left to do more light hearted work.
Patinkin supports many charities including: PAX, Doctors Without Borders, Americans for Peace Now, The September 11th Fund, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and Gilda's Club.
- In 2000 he released a CD entitled Kidults featuring childrens songs among others.
- Acted in very first commercial for Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats; commercial filmed in Chicago's Loop.
- Briefly studied acting at New York's Juilliard School of Drama, but dropped out to pursue work.
- Fans of _The Princess Bride (1987)_ (qv) frequently attend his live performances just to hear him utter the famous line, "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He frequently includes it towards the end of the show.
- Began singing in the temple choir at age 9.
- Says that of all the roles he's played in his career, "Inigo Montoya", from _The Princess Bride (1987)_ (qv) is his absolute favourite.
- Attended the University of Kansas for two years before being "discovered."
- Before he and 'Adam Arkin' (qv) starred as doctors on the television show, _"Chicago Hope" (1994)_ (qv), they both played doctors in the movie, _The Doctor (1991)_ (qv).