Nov. 30th, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mandy Patinkin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Wish I Was Here
2006 - Everyone's Hero
2006 - Choking Man
1999 - The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
1994 - Squanto - A Warrior's Tale
1991 - The Doctor
1991 - Madonna: Truth or Dare
1991 - Impromptu
1991 - True Colors
1990 - Dick Tracy
1988 - Alien Nation
1987 - The Princess Bride
1983 - Yentl
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Night of the Juggler
1979 - Last Embrace
1978 - The Big Fix
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Levi 'The Griffin' March
Hugh St. John Alastair Parkfield (Voiced)
Himself - Actor (segment "Mandy Patinkin")
Mandy Patinkin (born Mandel Bruce Patinkin; November 30, 1952) to Lester, a scrap metal dealer and Doris "Doralee". His first name was a tribute to his grandfather. Growing up he began singing in synagogue choirs at the age of 13-14 and still continues to use his fantastic voice in musicals and in recordings.
Attending Juilliard he became good friends with actor 'Kelsey Grammer' and upon hearing that Cheers was auditioning for the role of Dr. Frasier Crane he immediately put Grammer's name forward for the role.
Rumours persist about Patinkin's sudden departure from Criminal Minds. He simply failed to show up one day for a table read. He has contacted the entire cast to explain what is referred to as "personal reasons" for leaving. It seems that although Patinkin was prepared for the show to include violence the actual level of violence portrayed was unacceptable to the actor. He left to do more light hearted work.
Patinkin supports many charities including: PAX, Doctors Without Borders, Americans for Peace Now, The September 11th Fund, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and Gilda's Club.
- Did an interview for a 1987 _The Princess Bride (1987)_ (qv) featurette pretending to have worse English than the character he was playing (a Spaniard). In reality, he's American, born and bred.
- Mandy's mother is Doralee Patinkin Rubin, a cookbook author, who is to have her own cooking show on the Food Network.
- He is a lover/collector of Lionel model trains and he continues to enjoy playing with them to this day. He considers the concept of hanging on to such "classic" influential toys from the past very important to pass down to future generations.
- Mandy does concerts for the gun control advocacy group, Pax, and for Doctors Without Borders, a group that provides medical relief in violence-torn areas such as Darfur, Lebanon, and many other developing countries.
- Before he and 'Adam Arkin' (qv) starred as doctors on the television show, _"Chicago Hope" (1994)_ (qv), they both played doctors in the movie, _The Doctor (1991)_ (qv).
- Fans of _The Princess Bride (1987)_ (qv) frequently attend his live performances just to hear him utter the famous line, "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He frequently includes it towards the end of the show.
- Briefly studied acting at New York's Juilliard School of Drama, but dropped out to pursue work.
- Acted in very first commercial for Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats; commercial filmed in Chicago's Loop.