Nov. 30th, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mandy Patinkin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Choking Man
2006 - Everyone's Hero
1999 - The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
1993 - Life With Mikey
1991 - The Doctor
1991 - Madonna: Truth or Dare
1991 - True Colors
1991 - Impromptu
1990 - Dick Tracy
1988 - Alien Nation
1987 - The Princess Bride
1983 - Yentl
1981 - Ragtime
1980 - Night of the Juggler
1979 - Last Embrace
1978 - The Big Fix
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Levi 'The Griffin' March
Hugh St. John Alastair Parkfield (Voiced)
Dr. Jeffrey Geiger
Mandy Patinkin was born "Mandel Bruce Patinkin" to Lester, a scrap metal dealer and Doris "Doralee". His first name was a tribute to his grandfather. Growing up he began singing in synagogue choirs at the age of 13-14 and still continues to use his fantastic voice in musicals and in recordings.
Attending Juilliard he became good friends with actor Kelsey Grammer and upon hearing that "Cheers" was auditioning for the role of Dr. Frasier Crane he immediately put Grammer's name forward for the role.
Rumours persist about Patinkin's sudden departure from Criminal Minds. He simply failed to show up one day for a table read. He has contacted the entire cast to explain what is referred to as "personal reasons" for leaving. It seems that although Patinkin was prepared for the show to include violence the actual level of violence portrayed was unacceptable to the actor. He left to do more light hearted work.
Patinkin supports many charities including: PAX, Doctors Without Borders, Americans for Peace Now, The September 11th Fund, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and Gilda's Club.
- Lost his father to cancer.
- Was not asked to reprise his Tony award winning role of 'Che' in the movie version of _Evita (1996)_ (qv).
- Portrayed a spirit from the '50s in a 7-Up ad for his first TV commercial in 1970. Also played the lead in the very first TV commercial for Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats.
- In 2000 he released a CD entitled Kidults featuring childrens songs among others.
- Mandy's mother is Doralee Patinkin Rubin, a cookbook author, who is to have her own cooking show on the Food Network.
- Mandy does concerts for the gun control advocacy group, Pax, and for Doctors Without Borders, a group that provides medical relief in violence-torn areas such as Darfur, Lebanon, and many other developing countries.
- Says that of all the roles he's played in his career, "Inigo Montoya", from _The Princess Bride (1987)_ (qv) is his absolute favourite.
- Acted in very first commercial for Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats; commercial filmed in Chicago's Loop.