Mar. 29th, 1968
Mount Albert, Auckland, New Zealand
Lucy Lawless' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Bitch Slap
2008 - Bedtime Stories
2005 - Boogeyman - La porte des cauchemars
2004 - EuroTrip
2002 - Spider-Man
2000 - Ginger Snaps
1996 - Peach
1995 - Your Studio and You
1991 - The End of the Golden Weather
Guest TV Roles
Isabelle 'Izzy' Hartley
Sgt. Marybeth Duffy
Lucy Lawless (Voiced)
Lucille Frances "Lucy" Lawless, MNZM (nÃ©e Ryan; born March 29, 1968) is a New Zealand actress, activist and musician best known for playing the title character of the internationally successful television series Xena: Warrior Princess.
She is also widely known for her role as Number Three on the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series, and for the role of Lucretia on the television series Spartacus: Blood and Sand, its prequel Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, and its sequel Spartacus: Vengeance.
Lawless was awarded an Order of Merit in the New Zealand Queen's Birthday Honor List in June 2004. Lawless, whose role as Xena in Xena: Warrior Princess made her a cult television star, has been involved with the Starship Foundation and has held a role on its board of trustees. She was awarded the Order of Merit for services to entertainment and the community.
In 1995 Lawless landed the role of Xena: Warrior Princess in the show Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in a three story arc that led to her own spin-off show Xena: Warrior Princess for six seasons.
Whilst she has been primarily known for her role on Xena: Warrior Princess, Lawless has also appeared in the classic TV series Battlestar Galactica in the semi-regular role of D'anna Biers amongst her other many and varied roles including the hit Adam Sandler movie Bedtime Stories. Lawless was also in several made-for-TV movies including: Locusts and Vampire Bats. She also lent her voice to the straight-to-video movies: Justice League: The New Frontier and Dragonlance: Dragons of the Autumn Twilight. During 2011 Lawless appeared in the No Ordinary Family as the mysterious Mrs X and also appeared in the prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and Spartacus Vengeance as Lucretia.
Her most recent role was Caroline Platt in Jane Campion's Top of the Lake, a BBC Mini-Series in New Zealand with 'Holly Hunter' and 'Elisabeth Moss'.
She plays the recurring character of Diane Lewis in NBC's Parks and Recreation.
She will play Velma Kelly in the Auckland Theatre Company's adaptation of Chicago The Musical from 1-24 November 2013.
In 1988 at the age of 19, Ryan became pregnant to boyfriend Garth Lawless, while working together in the Australian outback. They married in Kalgoorlie and returned to New Zealand where their daughter Daisy was (b. July 15, 1988). They divorced in (1995).
Lawless married Robert Tapert (March 28, 1998), They have two sons, Julius Robert Bay Tapert (b. October 16, 1999) and Judah Miro Tapert (b. May 7, 2002).
- Is a natural ash blonde.
- She said that her partner at Xena, 'Renée O'Connor' (qv), has been one of the few people who have joined her true friends from youth. As an example, she invited her to her wedding with 'Robert G. Tapert' (qv). They also act together on conventions stages.
- Sister-in-law of actress 'Mary Beth Tapert' (qv).
- Owns a holiday house at Taupo on the shores of Lake Taupo, New Zealand.
- (October 1996) fractured her pelvis after falling from a horse. She was practicing a scene for _"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)_ (qv) .
- (1991) Studied drama at the William Davis Center for Actors Study, under 'William B. Davis' (qv).
- Lucy suffered a miscarriage immediately following the filming of the last episode of Xena. She considered canceling the appearance she was to make with Xena partner 'Renée O'Connor (I)' (Gabrielle) at a fan convention. However, she decided to showed up despite the tragic event just a few days earlier and even though Renee was 6 months pregnant with her first baby.
- She was offered the role of Ellen Tigh in Battlestar Galactica (2004), but she refused. That role was played by 'Kate Vernon' (qv) and the scriptwriters created another role for her, the evil D'anna Biers.