May. 27th, 1936
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Louis Gossett Jr.'s Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - A Fighting Man
2011 - The Grace Card
2010 - Why Did I Get Married Too?
2010 - The Perfect Game
2009 - The Least Among You
2009 - Why We Laugh: Black Comedians on Black Comedy
2008 - Delgo
2007 - Cover
2005 - Left Behind 3 World At War
1995 - Iron Eagle IV
1994 - Blue Chips
1994 - A Good Man in Africa
1992 - Diggstown
1991 - Toy Soldiers
1989 - The Punisher
1988 - Iron Eagle II
1987 - The Principal
1986 - Iron Eagle
1986 - Firewalker
1985 - Enemy Mine
1984 - Finders Keepers
1983 - Jaws 3-D
1982 - An Officer and a Gentleman
1977 - The Deep
1974 - The White Dawn
1973 - The Laughing Policeman
1971 - Skin Game
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Gossett made his professional acting debut at the age of 17, winning the Donaldson Award as best newcomer to theatre. He went to NYU on a basketball scholarship and was invited to try out for the NY Knicks, yet he decided to continue his acting career with a role in the Broadway production of "A Raisin in the Sun".
- Was originally cast as 'Gale Sayers' (qv) in the 1971 TV movie _Brian's Song (1971) (TV)_ (qv). Just days before shooting began, Gossett tore his Achilles' tendon while working out for the film. The studio execs scrambled and quickly hired 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv) as a replacement. Gossett, depressed over missing his "shot", was promised by producer 'David L. Wolper' (qv) the first great role that came along. About six years later, Wolper called Gossett to play "Fiddler" in _"Roots" (1977)_ (qv), the Emmy-winning role that made him a star!.
- He was the first male to be shown giving birth on screen, as Jeriba "Jerry" Shigan in _Enemy Mine (1985)_ (qv).
- First cousin of 'Robert Gossett' (qv).
- Was named as "King of Brooklyn" at the Welcome Back to Brooklyn Festival in 1990.
- Along with 'Stacy Keach' (qv), he was one of two actors considered for the role of the SGC's new commanding officer, General Hank Landry, on _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv). The role instead went to 'Beau Bridges (I)' (qv) however Gossett was cast as a Jaffa leader named Gerak.
- His foundation, Eracism, is devoted to eradicating racism.
- Was considered for the role of Lt. Traxler in _The Terminator (1984)_ (qv),.
- Conceived and co-wrote the well known song "Handsome Johnny" with 'Richie Havens' (qv). As the opening act for the original Woodstock, Havens performed "Handsome Johnny," as the 8th song in that historic first set. According to Havens, "...(Gossett) had gotten it up to the 'Dunkirk war'...I brought it up to date..." (From liner notes in The Best of Richie Havens CD, 1993).