72 (passed away Sep. 11th, 1987)
Feb. 12th, 1915
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
6' 0 1/2"
Lorne Greene's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1974 - Earthquake
1961 - The Errand Boy
1958 - The Buccaneer
1957 - Peyton Place
1956 - Autumn Leaves
Guest TV Roles
Inspector Hans Stavlin
Col. Jonathan Bell
Canadian-born Lorne Greene began acting while attending Canada's Queen's University, and after graduation got a job in radio broadcasting. His rich, deep, authoritarian voice quickly propelled him to prominence as Canada's top newscaster. He left Canada in the early 1950s for a film career in Hollywood, and soon began appearing regularly in television, films and on radio. His greatest successes came in two television series, the long-running Western "Bonanza" (1959), in which he played the patriarch of a wealthy frontier family, and the sci-fi series "Battlestar Galactica" (1978).
- Has two children, Belinda and Charles, from his first marriage.
- Ben Cartwright, Greene's character on _"Bonanza" (1959)_ (qv), was ranked #2 by TV Guide in its list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" [20 June 2004 issue].
- Pictured (as Ben Cartwright, his character on _"Bonanza" (1959)_ (qv)) on one of four 51¢ Canadian commemorative postage stamps honoring "Canadians in Hollywood", issued 22 May 2006. Others honored in this set are 'John Candy' (qv), 'Fay Wray' (qv), and 'Mary Pickford' (qv).
- Once played George Wahington in a short film produced for the National Park Service.
- He is the only actor to appear in every episode of both _"Battlestar Galactica" (1978)_ (qv) and _"Galactica 1980" (1980)_ (qv).
- Attended Lisgar Collegiate, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Founded Toronto's Academy of Radio Arts.
- Died the same day as 'Peter Tosh' (qv).