72 (passed away Sep. 11th, 1987)
Feb. 12th, 1915
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
6' 0 1/2"
Lorne Greene's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1974 - Earthquake
1961 - The Errand Boy
1958 - The Buccaneer
1957 - Peyton Place
1956 - Autumn Leaves
Guest TV Roles
Inspector Hans Stavlin
Canadian-born Lorne Greene began acting while attending Canada's Queen's University, and after graduation got a job in radio broadcasting. His rich, deep, authoritarian voice quickly propelled him to prominence as Canada's top newscaster. He left Canada in the early 1950s for a film career in Hollywood, and soon began appearing regularly in television, films and on radio. His greatest successes came in two television series, the long-running Western "Bonanza" (1959), in which he played the patriarch of a wealthy frontier family, and the sci-fi series "Battlestar Galactica" (1978).
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role as father Ben Cartwright on _"Bonanza" (1959)_ (qv).
- Just before his death, Greene had signed on to reprise the role of Ben Cartwright in a TV-movie revival of "Bonanza."
- He was scheduled to appear in a flashback scene using archival footage on the new Battlestar Galactica TV series, but the plan fell through.
- Invited to play Ben Cartwright after a well-received performance as Big Brother in a CBS production of 1984 on _"Studio One" (1948)_ (qv).
- Died the same day as 'Peter Tosh' (qv).
- He was awarded the O.C. (Officer of the Order of Canada) on June 27, 1969 for his services to the performing arts and community.
- Interred at Hillside Memorial Park, Culver City, California, USA.
- Founded Toronto's Academy of Radio Arts.