72 (passed away Sep. 11th, 1987)
Feb. 12th, 1915
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
6' 0 1/2"
Lorne Greene's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Canadian-born Lorne Greene began acting while attending Canada's Queen's University, and after graduation got a job in radio broadcasting. His rich, deep, authoritarian voice quickly propelled him to prominence as Canada's top newscaster. He left Canada in the early 1950s for a film career in Hollywood, and soon began appearing regularly in television, films and on radio. His greatest successes came in two television series, the long-running Western "Bonanza" (1959), in which he played the patriarch of a wealthy frontier family, and the sci-fi series "Battlestar Galactica" (1978).
- Served, along with 'Betty White (I)' (qv), as co-host of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC-TV for almost a decade, 1963-72.
- Invited to play Ben Cartwright after a well-received performance as Big Brother in a CBS production of 1984 on _"Studio One" (1948)_ (qv).
- Ben Cartwright, Greene's character on _"Bonanza" (1959)_ (qv), was ranked #2 by TV Guide in its list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" [20 June 2004 issue].
- His daughter 'Gillian Greene' (qv), is married to director 'Sam Raimi' (qv). One of the Raimis' sons is named Lorne, after him.
- Had a #1 hit in the US with his 1960s recording of "Ringo," a spoken-word song.
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role as father Ben Cartwright on _"Bonanza" (1959)_ (qv).
- Pictured (as Ben Cartwright, his character on _"Bonanza" (1959)_ (qv)) on one of four 51¢ Canadian commemorative postage stamps honoring "Canadians in Hollywood", issued 22 May 2006. Others honored in this set are 'John Candy' (qv), 'Fay Wray' (qv), and 'Mary Pickford' (qv).
- Has two children, Belinda and Charles, from his first marriage.