Sep. 1st, 1939
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Lily Tomlin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - The Pink Panther 2
2007 - The Walker
2006 - The Ant Bully
2006 - A Prairie Home Companion
2004 - I Heart Huckabees
2002 - Orange County
2000 - The Kid
1999 - Tea with Mussolini
1998 - Krippendorf's Tribe
1996 - Flirting with Disaster
1995 - Blue in the Face
1993 - The Beverly Hillbillies
1993 - Short Cuts
1992 - The Player
1991 - The Search for Signs of Inteligent Life in the Universe
1988 - Big Business
1984 - All of Me
1981 - The Incredible Shrinking Woman
1980 - Nine to Five
1977 - The Late Show
1975 - Nashville
Guest TV Roles
- Acknowledged that she has been in a romantic relationship with 'Jane Wagner' (qv) since 1971.
- Studied mime with 'Paul Curtis (II)' (qv).
- Has won two Tony Awards: in 1977, a special Award, and in 1986, the Best Actress (Play) Award for her one-woman show, "The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe," a performance recreated in the film version of the same title, _The Search for Signs of Inteligent Life in the Universe (1991)_ (qv).
- Studied acting under 'Charles Nelson Reilly' (qv), who introduced her to the works of monologist 'Ruth Draper' (qv), a major inspiration for Tomlin's work.
- Before a performance of one of her one-woman shows in New York City, she appeared on the sidewalk dressed in a Red Cross nurse's uniform, handing out cups of coffee to those waiting in line to enter the theatre.
- Won the Kennedy Center's prestigious Mark Twain Prize for Humor in 2003.
- With 'Meryl Streep' (qv) presented 'Robert Altman (I)' (qv) with his honorary Oscar on March 5th, 2006 at the 78th Academy Awards ceremony.
- Was a pre-med student at Wayne State University before choosing acting as a career.