Oct. 4th, 1967
San Francisco, California, USA
Liev Schreiber's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Liev (pronounced Lee-ev) is the son of Heather, a painter, and 'Tell Schreiber', a theatrical actor with a small role in The Keeper (1976). When he was one, the family moved from San Francisco to Canada. His parents were divorced when he was five. He and his mother moved to New York, where she drove a cab. During that time, they lived as squatters in abandoned buildings. His mother taught him to read, and she also forbade him from seeing color movies. He grew up seeing silent and black & white movies at a local revival house and particularly enjoyed those of 'Charles Chaplin'. His mother now lives in an ashram in Virginia. He began acting at Hampshire College and continued at the Yale University School of Drama in 1992. He originally wanted to be a playwright, but his teacher encouraged him to become an actor.
- Growing up, his mother didn't allow him to watch color movies. The first color movie he saw was Star Wars in 1977.
- Attended high school with actress 'Amanda Peet (I)' (qv) when he was a senior and she was a freshman.
- His mother says she named him after her favorite author, 'Leo Tolstoy' (qv) whose Russian name was Lev (pronounced "lee-ev"). His father says he was named after a doctor in San Francisco who saved his mother's life. Last name means "writer" in German.
- Along with 'David Arquette' (qv), 'Neve Campbell' (qv), 'Courteney Cox' (qv) and 'Jamie Kennedy (I)' (qv), he is one of only five actors to appear in all three Scream films.
- The actor and his fiancée, 'Naomi Watts' (qv), welcomed their first child, a healthy baby boy, on July 25, 2007. Alexander Pete Schreiber, who was born at 3:59 p.m. in Los Angeles, weighed 8 lbs., 4 oz, and was 22.5 inches long (Alexander is for his grandfather and Peter is for her father, 'Peter Watts (VI)' (qv)).
- After his parents divorced, he and his siblings saw their father very little during childhood.
- Son of actor 'Tell Schreiber' (qv) and Heather. Has four half brothers and one half sister, including brother 'Pablo Schreiber' (qv).
- Won the 2005 Tony Award best featured actor in a play for Glengarry Glen Ross.