Oct. 4th, 1967
San Francisco, California, USA
Liev Schreiber's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Liev (pronounced Lee-ev) is the son of Heather, a painter, and 'Tell Schreiber', a theatrical actor with a small role in The Keeper (1976). When he was one, the family moved from San Francisco to Canada. His parents were divorced when he was five. He and his mother moved to New York, where she drove a cab. During that time, they lived as squatters in abandoned buildings. His mother taught him to read, and she also forbade him from seeing color movies. He grew up seeing silent and black & white movies at a local revival house and particularly enjoyed those of 'Charles Chaplin'. His mother now lives in an ashram in Virginia. He began acting at Hampshire College and continued at the Yale University School of Drama in 1992. He originally wanted to be a playwright, but his teacher encouraged him to become an actor.
- Frequently does voice-over and narration work for advertisements and documentaries.
- Prefers to keep his dating life private, although he has been romantically linked to actress 'Kristin Davis (I)' (qv) and to film producer 'Kate Driver' (qv) ('Minnie Driver' (qv)'s sister). He accompanied his girlfriend 'Naomi Watts' (qv) to the _King Kong (2005)_ (qv) premiere in New York. It was their first public appearance together. On February 28, 2007, they announced they are expecting their first child.
- Has worked with actress 'Rose McGowan (I)' (qv) in two different horror films - _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv) and _Phantoms (1998)_ (qv).
- Second son is named Samuel Kai.
- The role for which he won his first Tony award (Richard Roma in Glengarry Glen Ross) also won 'Joe Mantegna' (qv) the Featured Actor in a Play Tony for the same role 21 years earlier in 1984. The 2005 production was directed by 'Joe Mantello' (qv).
- Along with 'David Arquette' (qv), 'Neve Campbell' (qv), 'Courteney Cox' (qv) and 'Jamie Kennedy (I)' (qv), he is one of only five actors to appear in all three Scream films.
- Growing up, his mother didn't allow him to watch color movies. The first color movie he saw was Star Wars in 1977.
- Second son with Naomi Watts born December 14, 2008.