Nov. 11th, 1974
Hollywood, California, USA
Leonardo DiCaprio's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Inception
2010 - Shutter Island
2010 - IMAX: Hubble 3D
2008 - Body of Lies
2008 - Revolutionary Road
2007 - The 11th Hour
2007 - Everything's Cool
2006 - The Departed
2006 - Blood Diamond
2004 - The Aviator
2002 - Gangs of New York
2002 - Catch Me If You Can
2000 - The Beach
1998 - Celebrity
1997 - Titanic
1996 - Romeo + Juliet
1996 - Marvin's Room
1995 - The Basketball Diaries
1995 - The Quick and the Dead
1995 - Total Eclipse
1993 - This Boy's Life
1993 - What's Eating Gilbert Grape
1992 - Poison Ivy
Guest TV Roles
Kid Fighting Scout
His name allegedly derives from his German mother Irmalin's having experienced a sudden kick from her unborn boy while enjoying a DaVinci painting at the Uffizi. In the year following his birth, she and his Italian father, George, were divorced. He grew up in Echo Park, then a particularly seedy, drug-dominated area of Los Angeles. At five he appeared on his favorite TV show "Romper Room" (1953) and was nearly thrown off for misbehaving. After a string of commercials, educational films ("Mickey's Safety Club"), occasional parts in TV series, a debut film role as Josh in Critters 3 (1991), a continuing role as the homeless boy Luke in the TV series "Growing Pains" (1985), he got his break-through part as Toby in This Boy's Life (1993), co-starring with Robert De Niro and Ellen Barkin.
The part led the New York Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics to name him runner-up for Best Supporting Actor. His first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations came for the difficult role of Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993). Equally challenging parts were a drug-troubled Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries (1995), the tormented homosexual poet Rimbaud in Total Eclipse (1995), and the angry teenage son of a harried mother in Marvin's Room (1996). He made a major impact with his starring role in a very updated Romeo + Juliet (1996). Superstardom came to DiCaprio playing Jack Dawson in Titanic (1997), highest grossing film ever, tied with Ben-Hur (1959) for most Academy Awards, though Leo himself was not nominated. His performance in the remake of The Man in the Iron Mask (1998/I) was poorly received, but the film still turned a profit. His next major film, The Beach (2000/I), was not a success, but he made another comeback in Catch Me If You Can (2002) and remains an A-list star.
- Was offered the role of the porn star Dirk Diggler in _Boogie Nights (1997)_ (qv) at around the same time as he was offered his role in _Titanic (1997)_ (qv). The Dirk Diggler role eventually went to 'Mark Wahlberg (I)' (qv).
- He and his family funded a state-of-the-art computer center at the Los Feliz branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, which was rebuilt after the 1994 Northridge earthquake.
- His favorite food is pasta. His favorite drink is lemonade.
- Screen tested for the part of Robin in _Batman Forever (1995)_ (qv).
- 'Robert De Niro' (qv) and 'Jack Nicholson' (qv) are his favorite actors.
- (1997) Chosen by People Magazine as one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World."
- (16 April 1999) While filming _The Beach (2000/I)_ (qv) off the coast of Thailand, Leonardo and others were swept off a camera boat by strong winds and waves. No one was injured.
- Childhood friends with 'Tobey Maguire' (qv) and the late 'Christopher Pettiet' (qv).