Nov. 11th, 1974
Hollywood, California, USA
Leonardo DiCaprio's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Inception
2010 - Shutter Island
2010 - IMAX: Hubble 3D
2008 - Body of Lies
2008 - Revolutionary Road
2007 - The 11th Hour
2007 - Everything's Cool
2006 - The Departed
2006 - Blood Diamond
2004 - The Aviator
2002 - Gangs of New York
2002 - Catch Me If You Can
2000 - The Beach
1998 - Celebrity
1997 - Titanic
1996 - Romeo + Juliet
1996 - Marvin's Room
1995 - The Basketball Diaries
1995 - The Quick and the Dead
1995 - Total Eclipse
1993 - This Boy's Life
1993 - What's Eating Gilbert Grape
1992 - Poison Ivy
Guest TV Roles
Kid Fighting Scout
Leonardo DiCaprio's name allegedly derives from his German mother Irmalin's having experienced a sudden kick from her unborn boy while enjoying a DaVinci painting at the Uffizi. In the year following his birth, she and his Italian father, George, were divorced. He grew up in Echo Park, then a particularly seedy, drug-dominated area of Los Angeles. At five he appeared on his favorite TV show Romper Room (1953) and was nearly thrown off for misbehaving. After a string of commercials, educational films ("Mickey's Safety Club"), occasional parts in TV series, a debut film role as Josh in Critters 3 (1991), a continuing role as the homeless boy Luke in the TV series Growing Pains (1985), he got his break-through part as Toby in This Boy's Life (1993), co-starring with 'Robert De Niro' and 'Ellen Barkin'.
The part led the New York Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics to name him runner-up for Best Supporting Actor. His first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations came for the difficult role of Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993). Equally challenging parts were a drug-troubled Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries (1995), the tormented homosexual poet Rimbaud in Total Eclipse (1995), and the angry teenage son of a harried mother in Marvin's Room (1996). He made a major impact with his starring role in a very updated Romeo + Juliet (1996). Superstardom came to DiCaprio playing Jack Dawson in Titanic (1997), highest grossing film ever, tied with Ben-Hur (1959) for most Academy Awards, though Leo himself was not nominated. His performance in the remake of The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) was poorly received, but the film still turned a profit. His next major film, The Beach (2000), was not a success, but he made another comeback in Catch Me If You Can (2002) and remains an A-list star.
- Was once attached to star in _American Psycho (2000)_ (qv) and was reputedly offered over $20 million for the role.
- He once said that playing Arnie in _What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)_ (qv) was "the most fun I've ever had".
- He is an environmental conservationist and often advocates and supports natural causes.
- His first publicity spot was about MILK.
- Won the role of Rimbaud in _Total Eclipse (1995)_ (qv) after the death of actor 'River Phoenix' (qv) in 1993.
- In 2006 in "The Independent", he named his ten favorite movies as: _Ladri di biciclette (1948)_ (qv), _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv), _Lawrence of Arabia (1962)_ (qv), _8½ (1963)_ (qv), _The Third Man (1949)_ (qv), _Yojimbo (1961)_ (qv), _Sunset Blvd. (1950)_ (qv), _The Shining (1980)_ (qv) and _East of Eden (1955)_ (qv).
- Attended Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies before attending Marshall High
- (November 2003) When his camera went missing, he offered a substantial reward of many thousands of pounds for its return.