Sep. 8th, 1975
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5' 7 1/2
Larenz Tate's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Larenz Tate was born on September 8, 1975, on the west side of Chicago to Larry and Peggy Tate, the youngest of three brothers. His other brothers are actors Larron and Lahmard Tate. In 1984, Larenz and his family moved to California. It was while living in California that Larenz's parents got him and his brothers involved in a drama program at the Inner City Cultural Center. At first the boys were interested just to meet girls, however when they saw classmate Malcolm-Jamal Warner get cast in the role of Theo Huxtable on "The Cosby Show" (1984), they began to take it more seriously. From then on, the brothers began getting other small roles. Larenz's career first took off in a Christmas episode of "The Twilight Zone" (1985), after which roles began pouring in. He has gone on to star in both television series and movies.
- He is often cast in films directed by the Hughes Brothers ('Allen Hughes' (qv) and 'Albert Hughes (I)' (qv)).
- He is a fan of boxer Sugar Ray Robinson.
- His favorite hip-hop song is "juicy" by the notorious b.i.g.
- Frequent co-star of 'Clifton Powell' (qv).
- Before portraying him in _Ray (2004/I)_ (qv), he spent time with 'Quincy Jones' (qv).
- He began acting in plays at the Inner City Cultural Center in Los Angeles at the age of 10. His classmate was 'Malcolm-Jamal Warner' (qv).
- He is the co-founder of The Tate Bros. Foundation with his brothers. The non-profit organization was created to help provide funds for children living with the disease sickle cell anemia.
- Has played real-life music legends 'Frankie Lymon' (qv) and 'Quincy Jones' (qv).