Aug. 19th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Kyra Sedgwick's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kyra Minturn Sedgwick (born August 19, 1965) is an American actress.
She was born in New York and attended private schools. She made her professional acting debut at 16 on the soap opera Another World (1964). A graduate of USC, Sedgwick has pursued a career that includes stage, screen and television.
Sedgwick's reason for becoming an actor is that it gives her the ability to be compassionate and to walk around in the shoes of others. Her first brush with stardom came in Born on the Fourth of July (1989) as "Donna", the high school sweetheart of 'Tom Cruise'.
During the 1990s she appeared in several Hollywood movies, including Singles (1992), Heart and Souls (1993), Something to Talk About (1995) and Phenomenon, in which she played the love interest of 'John Travolta's character. She starred in the Emmy Award–winning 1992 made-for-TV film Miss Rose White as a Jewish immigrant who comes to terms with her ethnicity. She played the parts of Mae Coleman in 2003's Secondhand Lions and Stella Peck in the 2007 film The Game Plan. She also starred alongside her husband 'Kevin Bacon' in the 2004 film The Woodsman. She dubbed the voice of Batwoman in the animated movie Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman.
Sedgwick has starred in the television series The Closer since 2005. In 2007 she began earning roughly US$300,000 per episode. Over the life of the series she was nominated for and won several awards for her starring role as Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson. She received a Golden Globe award in 2007 for her performance as lead actress and won a Primetime Emmy Award in 2010.
The Closer ended on August 13, 2012, following the completion of its seventh season; the series's broadcaster, TNT, said that the decision to retire the series was made by Sedgwick.
In 2009, Sedgwick was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television.
She met her husband, 'Kevin Bacon', when they played leads in the TV movie Lemon Sky (1988). They married on September 4, 1988. They have two children, Travis Sedgwick Bacon (born June 23, 1989) and Sosie Ruth Bacon (born March 15, 1992). She is also the aunt of R&B/pop singer 'George Nozuka' and his younger singer/songwriter brother 'Justin Nozuka' (their mother, Holly, is Sedgwick's half-sister).
Sedgwick has identified herself as Jewish, and also stated that she does not participate in any specific religious activities for any faith except for attending some Passover seders. Sedgwick learned in 2011, via her appearance on the U.S. TV show Finding Your Roots with 'Henry Louis Gates', that she and Kevin Bacon are 10th cousins, once removed.
- Kyra and her husband, 'Kevin Bacon' (qv), lost an undisclosed amount of money in the 'Bernard Madoff' (qv) scandal.
- Second cousin of actress 'Edie Sedgwick' (qv).
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Sister-in-law of 'Michael Bacon (I)' (qv) and 'Betsy Bacon' (qv).
- Made her big screen acting debut in _War and Love (1985)_ (qv) and her producing debut in _Losing Chase (1996) (TV)_ (qv).
- Aunt of up-and-coming Canadian singer/songwriter 'Justin Nozuka' (qv), 'George Nozuka' (qv) and 'Philip Nozuka' (qv).
- Was a guest at 'Sarah Jessica Parker' (qv)'s 40th birthday party.
- Her favorite actresses are 'Diane Keaton' (qv), 'Anjelica Huston' (qv), 'Jessica Lange' (qv) and 'Meryl Streep' (qv).