Feb. 22nd, 1959
Yakima, Washington, USA
Kyle MacLachlan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kyle Merritt MacLachlan (born February 22, 1959) is an American actor.
Born and a raised in Yakima, Washington. His mother, Catherine (née Stone), was a public relations director, and his father, Kent Alan MacLachlan, was a stockbroker and lawyer. He has Scottish, Cornish and Irish ancestry. He has two younger brothers named Craig and Kent, both of whom live in the Pacific Northwest. MacLachlan graduated from the University of Washington in 1982.
The darkly handsome MacLachlan made his feature debut when he starred in the big-budget 'David Lynch' adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune (1984), but only enjoyed real success after appearing in a second Lynch project, the moody and perverse classic Blue Velvet (1986), his most famous role.
The following year saw MacLachlan appearing as an otherworldly FBI agent in the cult classic sci-fi film The Hidden (1987). This turned out to be a sign of things to come, as MacLachlan soon took on another oddball G-man, Special Agent Dale Cooper, on Lynch's cryptic ABC TV series Twin Peaks (1990) and reprising that role for Lynch's 1992 prequel Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. MacLachlan's remarkable work as Agent Cooper earned him a Golden Globe award and a pair of Emmy nominations, as well as steady work in television and films, including a part as 'Ray Manzarek' in the 'Oliver Stone' film The Doors (1991) and villain Cliff Vandercave in the live action version of The Flintstones (1994).
His career took a hit after he appeared in the infamous flop Showgirls (1995). However, MacLachlan returned to prominence in the early 2000s with a reoccurring role on HBO's Sex and the City (1998), as well as a starring role in the TV movie The Spring (2000) and a turn as Claudius in director 'Michael Almereyda' version of Hamlet (2000). MacLachlan later took advantage of his resemblance to 'Cary Grant' when he played the classic actor's spirit in Touch of Pink (2004).
MacLachlan has remained a popular actor with independent filmmakers, and he has also been a familiar face on television, appearing on the ABC-TV shows In Justice (2006) and Desperate Housewives (2004).
In 1993, Kyle met model Linda Evangelista on a fashion shoot for Barney's and the two began dating. Evangelista separated from her husband, Gerard Marie. The two appeared in further fashion spreads in Vogue magazine. Around 1998 or 1999, the two were supposedly engaged. The couple split up however, when Evangelista met French soccer star Fabien Barthez and she became pregnant by him.
MacLachlan later married in 2002. MacLachlan lives in Manhattan with his wife, Desiree Gruber, an executive producer of Project Runway, and their son, Callum Lyon MacLachlan (b. July 26, 2008), in Los Angeles.
The couple have two small dogs (a Jack Russell terrier and a Yorkie/Chihuahua mixed breed) and out of "probably too much affection" have created a website about their dogs as well as a TV series popular on YouTube.
A dedicated wine lover, MacLachlan is partners with vintner Eric Dunham in Pursued by Bear, a winery in Washington's Columbia Valley. The name, suggested over dinner by Fred Savage, comes from a stage direction ("Exit, pursued by a bear") in Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale.
- Kyle and his wife, 'Desiree Gruber' (qv), became the parents of their first child, a son named Callum Lyon MacLachlan, on July 25, 2008. Callum weighed in at 8 lbs. 6 oz.
- Married Desiree Gruber at Plymouth Congregational Church in Miami, Florida (her hometown).
- Graduated 1977 from Eisenhower High School in Yakima, Washington.
- Often stars in 'David Lynch (I)' (qv) films such as _Dune (1984)_ (qv), _Blue Velvet (1986)_ (qv), _Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)_ (qv), and the television series _"Twin Peaks" (1990)_ (qv), originated by Lynch and 'Mark Frost (I)' (qv).
- (August 2001) Became engaged to his girlfriend of two years, fashion publicist Desiree Gruber.
- Director 'Bruce Beresford' (qv) said about him: "Kyle wears his handsomeness easily; he doesn't carry on. And he's not a boring man. He's ordinary but interesting, which is difficult to find."
- Has two younger brothers.
- He turned down the 'Charlie Sheen (I)' (qv) role in _Platoon (1986)_ (qv).