Feb. 22nd, 1959
Yakima, Washington, USA
Kyle MacLachlan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Mao's Last Dancer
2008 - The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
2003 - Northfork
2000 - Hamlet
2000 - Timecode
2000 - Xchange
1997 - One Night Stand
1995 - Showgirls
1994 - The Flintstones
1992 - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
1992 - Where The Day Takes You
1991 - The Doors
1990 - Don't Tell Her It's Me
1987 - The Hidden
1986 - Blue Velvet
1984 - Dune
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Brett Morton
Earl Raymond Digs
Himself - Actor: Desperate Housewives
The "boy next door, if that boy spent lots of time alone in the basement," is how Rich Cohen described Kyle MacLachlan in a 1994 article for "Rolling Stone" magazine. That distinctly askew wholesomeness made MacLachlan a natural to become famous as the alter ego of twisted director 'David Lynch'.
Born and a raised in Yakima, Washington, MacLachlan graduated from the University of Washington in 1982. The darkly handsome actor made his feature debut when he starred in the big-budget 'David Lynch' adaptation of Frank Herbert's "Dune" (1984), but only enjoyed real success after appearing in a second Lynch project, the moody and perverse classic "Blue Velvet" (1986).
The following year saw MacLachlan appearing as an otherworldly FBI agent in the cult classic sci-fi film "The Hidden" (1987). This turned out to be a sign of things to come, as MacLachlan soon took on another oddball G-man, Special Agent Dale Cooper, on Lynch's cryptic ABC TV series "Twin Peaks" (1990), perhaps, along with "Blue Velvet" (1986), his most famous role. MacLachlan's remarkable work as Agent Cooper earned him a Golden Globe award and a pair of Emmy nominations, as well as steady work in television and films, including a part as 'Ray Manzarek' in the 'Oliver Stone' film "The Doors" (1991) and villain Cliff Vandercave in the live action version of "The Flintstones" (1994).
His career took a hit after he appeared in the infamous flop "Showgirls" (1995). However, MacLachlan returned to prominence in the early 2000s with a reoccurring role on HBO's "Sex and the City" (1998), as well as a starring role in the TV movie "The Spring" (2000) and a turn as Claudius in director 'Michael Almereyda' version of "Hamlet" (2000). MacLachlan later took advantage of his resemblance to 'Cary Grant' when he played the classic actor's spirit in "Touch of Pink" (2004).
MacLachlan has remained a popular actor with independent filmmakers, and he has also been a familiar face on television, appearing on the ABC-TV shows "In Justice" (2006) and "Desperate Housewives" (2004).
In 1993, Kyle met model Linda Evangelista on a fashion shoot for Barney's and the two began dating. Evangelista separated from her husband, Gerard Marie. The two appeared in further fashion spreads in Vogue magazine. Around 1998 or 1999, the two were supposedly engaged. The couple split up however, when Evangelista met French soccer star Fabien Barthez and she became pregnant by him.
MacLachlan later married in 2002. MacLachlan lives in Manhattan with his wife, Desiree Gruber, an executive producer of Project Runway, and their son, Callum Lyon MacLachlan, born July 26, 2008, in Los Angeles.
The couple have two small dogs (a Jack Russell terrier and a Yorkie/Chihuahua mixed breed) and out of "probably too much affection" have created a website about their dogs as well as a TV series popular on YouTube.
A dedicated wine lover, Kyle is partners with vintner Eric Dunham in Pursued by Bear, a winery in Washington's Columbia Valley. The name, suggested over dinner by Fred Savage, comes from a stage direction ("Exit, pursued by a bear") in Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale.
- Often stars in 'David Lynch (I)' (qv) films such as _Dune (1984)_ (qv), _Blue Velvet (1986)_ (qv), _Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)_ (qv), and the television series _"Twin Peaks" (1990)_ (qv), originated by Lynch and 'Mark Frost (I)' (qv).
- He claims to be a direct descendant of 'Johann Sebastian Bach' (qv) on his mother's side.
- Graduated University of Washington with a bachelors degree in Fine Arts (1982).
- Graduated 1977 from Eisenhower High School in Yakima, Washington.
- (1992-1998) Dated model 'Linda Evangelista' (qv), whom he met on the set of an ad for Barney's. They were engaged for three years.
- (August 2001) Became engaged to his girlfriend of two years, fashion publicist Desiree Gruber.
- He turned down the 'Charlie Sheen (I)' (qv) role in _Platoon (1986)_ (qv).
- Kyle and his wife, 'Desiree Gruber' (qv), became the parents of their first child, a son named Callum Lyon MacLachlan, on July 25, 2008. Callum weighed in at 8 lbs. 6 oz.