Jul. 3rd, 1943
New Lisbon, Wisconsin, USA
Kurtwood Smith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kurtwood Larson Smith (born July 3, 1943) is an American television and film actor. He is known for playing Clarence Boddicker in RoboCop and Red Forman in That '70s Show, and for his appearances in the genre of science fiction (Star Trek, The X-Files). He also starred in the seventh season of 24.
Born in New Lisbon, Wisconsin, the son of Mabel Annette Lund (née Larson) and George Smith, whom Mabel Lund married after Kurtwood Smith's biological father died serving in World War II. Smith's mother was a fan of a country singer named Kurt (or Curt) in the early 1940s. However, she thought "Kurt Smith" was too short a name, so she added "wood" ("she just tacked it on to the end," he said). Smith has said that he is likely the only Kurtwood. Smith grew up in the San Fernando Valley and graduated from Canoga Park High School of Canoga Park, California in 1961; he was class president in his senior year. Smith graduated from San Jose State College in 1965 with a B.A. and Stanford University in 1969 with an M.F.A.
He is set to play Harold Garland in ABC's Resurrection.
- Kurtwood's daughter, 'Laurel Garner' (qv), is also an actress.
- Presented actress 'Barbara Bain' (qv) with the California Lottery's "Hero in Education" Award on "The Big Spin" show on December 18, 2004.
- Has one granddaughter named Abby.
- Attended Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California
- Won the role of "Red Foreman" on _"That '70s Show" (1998)_ (qv) when the original choice, 'Chuck Norris' (qv), was unavailable due to his commitment to filming _"Walker, Texas Ranger" (1993)_ (qv). Set near Milwaukee, WI, he was the only cast member to actually be from the state. Wisconsin is a Native American term for "land of red stone".
- His son,Shannon Smith, who goes by the stage name Dr. Sauce, hosted a radio show at Stanford University in the mid-to-late 1990s and played guitar in a band called The Vulcaneers.
- Was considered for the role of Al Bundy on _"Married with Children" (1987)_ (qv).
- Has played three different characters in Star Trek