Jul. 3rd, 1943
New Lisbon, Wisconsin, USA
Kurtwood Smith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Trespassing
1999 - Girl, Interrupted
1998 - Deep Impact
1997 - Prefontaine
1996 - A Time to Kill
1996 - Broken Arrow
1996 - Citizen Ruth
1995 - To Die For
1995 - Under Siege 2: Dark Territory
1993 - RoboCop 3
1993 - Boxing Helena
1993 - Heart and Souls
1993 - The Crush
1991 - Oscar
1991 - Company Business
1991 - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
1990 - 12:01 PM
1990 - Quick Change
1989 - True Believer
1989 - Dead Poets Society
1988 - Rambo III
1987 - RoboCop
1984 - Flashpoint
1983 - Staying Alive
1983 - Going Berserk
1980 - Roadie
1978 - The Deer Hunter
Guest TV Roles
Commissioner James Gordon (Voiced)
Mr. Johnson (Voiced)
Senator Blaine Mayer
Dinosaur Military Commander (Voiced)
F.B.I. Agent Edward Cooper
Kurtwood Larson Smith (born July 3, 1943) is an American television and film actor. He is known for playing Clarence Boddicker in RoboCop and Red Forman in That '70s Show, and for his appearances in the genre of science fiction (Star Trek, The X-Files). He also starred in the seventh season of 24.
Born in New Lisbon, Wisconsin, the son of Mabel Annette Lund (née Larson) and George Smith, whom Mabel Lund married after Kurtwood Smith's biological father died serving in World War II. Smith's mother was a fan of a country singer named Kurt (or Curt) in the early 1940s. However, she thought "Kurt Smith" was too short a name, so she added "wood" ("she just tacked it on to the end," he said). Smith has said that he is likely the only Kurtwood. Smith grew up in the San Fernando Valley and graduated from Canoga Park High School of Canoga Park, California in 1961; he was class president in his senior year. Smith graduated from San Jose State College in 1965 with a B.A. and Stanford University in 1969 with an M.F.A.
He is set to play Harold Garland in ABC's Resurrection.
- Was considered for the role of Al Bundy on _"Married with Children" (1987)_ (qv).
- Has played three different characters in Star Trek
- Won the role of "Red Foreman" on _"That '70s Show" (1998)_ (qv) when the original choice, 'Chuck Norris' (qv), was unavailable due to his commitment to filming _"Walker, Texas Ranger" (1993)_ (qv). Set near Milwaukee, WI, he was the only cast member to actually be from the state. Wisconsin is a Native American term for "land of red stone".
- Curently doing voice work for the Chicago White Sox in a series of Radio Ads
- Played two heavies named Clarence. "Going Berserk" (1983) and "RoboCop" (1987).
- Has one granddaughter named Abby.
- Attended Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California
- Kurtwood's daughter, 'Laurel Garner' (qv), is also an actress.