Jun. 22nd, 1936
Brownsville, Texas, USA
Kris Kristofferson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Dolphin Tale 2
2009 - For Sale By Owner
2009 - He's Just Not That Into You
2009 - Powder Blue
2008 - Jump Out Boys
2007 - Disappearances
2006 - Room 10
2006 - Fast Food Nation
2005 - The Wendell Baker Story
2005 - The Jacket
2005 - Dreamer: Inspired By a True Story
2005 - Trudell
2004 - Blade Trinity
2003 - Where The Red Fern Grows
2002 - D-Tox
2002 - Blade II
2001 - Planet of the Apes
2001 - Wooly Boys
1999 - Payback
1998 - Dance With Me
1998 - Girls' Night
1998 - Blade
1997 - Fire Down Below
1996 - Lone Star
1989 - Millennium
1988 - Big Top Pee-wee
1985 - Trouble in Mind
1984 - Flashpoint
1981 - Rollover
1980 - Heaven's Gate
1978 - Convoy
1977 - Semi-Tough
1976 - A Star Is Born
1974 - Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
1974 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
1973 - Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Guest
Kris Kristofferson's father was an Air Force general who pushed his son to a military career. Kris was a Golden Gloves boxer and went to Pomona College in California. From there, he earned a Rhodes scholarship to study literature at Oxford. He ultimately joined the army and achieved the rank of captain. He became a helicopter pilot, which served him well later. In 1965 he resigned his commission to pursue songwriting. He had just been assigned to become a teacher at West Point.
He got a job sweeping floors in Nashville studios. There he met 'Johnny Cash', who initially took some of his songs but ignored them. He was also working as a commercial 'copter pilot at the time. He got Cash's attention when he landed his helicopter in Cash's yard and gave him some more tapes. Cash then recorded Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Coming Down", which went was voted 1970's Song Of The Year by the Country Music Association. Kris was noted for his heavy boozing. He lost his helicopter pilot job when he passed out at the controls, and his drinking ruined his marriage to singer 'Rita Coolidge', when he was reaching a bottle and half of Jack Daniels daily. He gave up alcohol in 1976. His acting career nose-dived after making Heaven's Gate (1980) in 1980. In recent years he has made a comeback with his musical and acting careers. He does say that he prefers his music, but says his children are his true legacy.
- Close friend of 'Joan Baez' (qv).
- Was a member of The Highwaymen with fellow country music stars 'Johnny Cash (I)' (qv), 'Waylon Jennings' (qv) and 'Willie Nelson' (qv).
- It is speculated that either Kristofferson, 'Warren Beatty' (qv), 'Cat Stevens' (qv) or 'Mick Jagger' (qv) "inspired" the famous song "You're so Vain" by Carly Simon. Kristofferson doesn't think so himself, and said the following when an interviewer asked him about it: "It couldn't have been me, 'cause I've never flown in a Lear jet like that guy in the song.".
- In June of 1999 Kristofferson underwent elective heart bypass
- He was set to become a Major when he decided to quit the US Army Rangers after almost five years.
- Brother of 'Karen Kirschenbauer' (qv).
- On an interview he did before his concert in Finland, he told that his original ancestry is Finnish.
- He got the leading male role of "A Star is Born" (1976) after 'Elvis Presley' (qv) couldn't do it. Elvis has also recorded a song written by Kristofferson.