Jun. 22nd, 1936
Brownsville, Texas, USA
Kris Kristofferson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kris Kristofferson's father was an Air Force general who pushed his son to a military career. Kris was a Golden Gloves boxer and went to Pomona College in California. From there, he earned a Rhodes scholarship to study literature at Oxford. He ultimately joined the army and achieved the rank of captain. He became a helicopter pilot, which served him well later. In 1965 he resigned his commission to pursue songwriting. He had just been assigned to become a teacher at West Point.
He got a job sweeping floors in Nashville studios. There he met 'Johnny Cash', who initially took some of his songs but ignored them. He was also working as a commercial 'copter pilot at the time. He got Cash's attention when he landed his helicopter in Cash's yard and gave him some more tapes. Cash then recorded Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Coming Down", which went was voted 1970's Song Of The Year by the Country Music Association. Kris was noted for his heavy boozing. He lost his helicopter pilot job when he passed out at the controls, and his drinking ruined his marriage to singer 'Rita Coolidge', when he was reaching a bottle and half of Jack Daniels daily. He gave up alcohol in 1976. His acting career nose-dived after making Heaven's Gate (1980) in 1980. In recent years he has made a comeback with his musical and acting careers. He does say that he prefers his music, but says his children are his true legacy.
- It is speculated that either Kristofferson, 'Warren Beatty' (qv), 'Cat Stevens' (qv) or 'Mick Jagger' (qv) "inspired" the famous song "You're so Vain" by Carly Simon. Kristofferson doesn't think so himself, and said the following when an interviewer asked him about it: "It couldn't have been me, 'cause I've never flown in a Lear jet like that guy in the song.".
- Brother of 'Karen Kirschenbauer' (qv).
- A young Kris Kristofferson can be seen on one of of his album covers in 'Martin Scorsese' (qv)'s _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv).
- Played football with 'Burt Reynolds (I)' (qv) in preparation for _Semi-Tough (1977)_ (qv). Both men had been outstanding footballers in college - Reynolds almost turned pro.
- Favorite actors are 'William Holden (I)' (qv), 'Robert Ryan (I)' (qv) and 'Gregory Peck' (qv).
- Dated 'Janis Joplin' (qv)
- Attended Pomona College in Claremont, California with a BA in Creative Literature, graduated 1958.
- 'Cameron Crowe (I)' (qv) posed as a student at Clairemont High School to get material for the screenplay for _Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)_ (qv). The principal of Clairemont was not thrilled with the idea, but when he asked Crowe about musicians that he had met, he mentioned Kris Kristofferson. The principle was a big fan of Kristofferson and agreed to let Crowe on campus.