Dec. 21st, 1966
London, England, UK
Guest TV Roles
Jack Bauer (Voiced)
Kiefer Sutherland was born on December 21st, 1966 in London, England, UK to parents Donald Sutherland (I) and Shirley Douglas. He got his first film role in the movie Max Dugan Returns (1983). Sutherland's first major role was in the Canadian drama, The Bay Boy (1984), which earned Sutherland and director Daniel Petrie, Genie award nominations for best actor and best director, respectively. Following his success in "The Bay Boy", Sutherland eventually moved to Los Angeles and landed television appearances in "The Mission", an episode of "Amazing Stories" (1985) and in the telefilm Trapped in Silence (1986) (TV) with Marsha Mason.
In 1992, Sutherland starred opposite Ray Liotta and Forest Whitaker in Article 99 (1992) and in the military drama A Few Good Men (1992) also starring Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise. Later, in 1994, he starred with Jeff Bridges (I) and Nancy Travis in the American version of The Vanishing (1993) for Twentieth Century Fox.
In 1997, he co-starred with William Hurt (I) and Rufus Sewell in Dark City (1998), directed by Alex Proyas, which was a special presentation at the Cannes Film Festival. Sutherland also added his second directorial credit and starred in Truth or Consequences, N.M. (1997) alongside Kevin Pollak, Mykelti Williamson, Rod Steiger and Martin Sheen. He currently stars in the Fox drama "24" (2001) as Jack Bauer for which he has earned a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama Series. Most recently he has been seen in the movie Phone Booth (2002) as a man who calls up someone at a phone booth and threatens to kill them if they hang up.
- Has spent 15 hours a day, six days a week, for the last five years on the set of _"24" (2001)_ (qv).
- Upon the conclusion of season 5 of _"24" (2001)_ (qv), Kiefer has spent more on-screen time as the character "Jack Bauer" than as all of his previous roles combined. He has also received more nominations for the show than his entire film career.
- In an episode of _"24" (2001)_ (qv), his character Jack Bauer is brought back after a heart failure. The same thing happened in _Flatliners (1990)_ (qv), where he played Nelson.
- He has a border collie named Molly.
- He left Canada to do commercials in New York. In 1983 he landed a jeans advertisement and got enough money to buy a car and go to California.
- In 2005, he was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto.
- Has three half-brothers: 'Roeg Sutherland' (qv) (b. 1974), 'Rossif Sutherland' (qv) (b. 1978) and 'Angus Sutherland (I)' (qv) (b. 1982).
- Wasn't aware of father 'Donald Sutherland (I)' (qv) as an actor until he was 18.