Dec. 21st, 1966
London, England, UK
Kiefer Sutherland's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kiefer Sutherland (born December 21, 1966) in London, England, UK to parents 'Donald Sutherland' and 'Shirley Douglas'. He got his first film role in the movie Max Dugan Returns (1983). Sutherland's first major role was in the Canadian drama, The Bay Boy (1984), which earned Sutherland and director 'Daniel Petrie', Genie award nominations for best actor and best director, respectively. Following his success in The Bay Boy, Sutherland eventually moved to Los Angeles and landed television appearances in The Mission, an episode of Amazing Stories (1985) and in the telefilm Trapped in Silence (1986) with 'Marsha Mason'.
In 1992, Sutherland starred opposite 'Ray Liotta' and 'Forest Whitaker' in Article 99 (1992) and in the military drama A Few Good Men (1992) also starring 'Jack Nicholson' and 'Tom Cruise'. Later, in 1994, he starred with 'Jeff Bridges' and 'Nancy Travis' in the American version of The Vanishing (1993) for Twentieth Century Fox.
In 1997, he co-starred with 'William Hurt' and 'Rufus Sewell' in Dark City (1998), directed by 'Alex Proyas', which was a special presentation at the Cannes Film Festival. Sutherland also added his second directorial credit and starred in Truth or Consequences, N.M. (1997) alongside 'Kevin Pollak', 'Mykelti Williamson', 'Rod Steiger' and 'Martin Sheen'. He currently stars in the Fox drama 24 (2001) as Jack Bauer for which he has earned a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama Series. Most recently he has been seen in the movie Phone Booth (2002) as a man who calls up someone at a phone booth and threatens to kill them if they hang up.
- Was engaged to 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv)
- Owns a recording studio/music label in Los Angeles, called Ironworks, with best friend, musician/producer 'Jude Cole' (qv).
- Is close friends with hockey legend 'Wayne Gretzky' (qv).
- Grandson of former Saskatchewan premier 'Tommy Douglas (I)' (qv), leader of the first elected socialist government in North America. Douglas was premier from 1944-1961, and was known as the father of Canada's government-funded medical system.
- Is a huge fan of the rock band 'Queen (I)' (qv).
- He has a border collie named Molly.
- Upon the conclusion of season 5 of _"24" (2001)_ (qv), Kiefer has spent more on-screen time as the character "Jack Bauer" than as all of his previous roles combined. He has also received more nominations for the show than his entire film career.
- He attended seven different schools in ten years.