Aug. 2nd, 1970
Red Bank, New Jersey, USA
Kevin Smith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Fanboys
2007 - TMNT
2007 - Live Free or Die Hard
2006 - Clerks II
2006 - Doogal
2006 - This Film Is Not Yet Rated
2006 - Southland Tales
2004 - My Date with Drew
2003 - Daredevil
2002 - Now You Know
2001 - Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
2000 - Scream 3
1999 - Dogma
1997 - Chasing Amy
1996 - Drawing Flies
1995 - Mallrats
Guest TV Roles
Hal Jordan (Voiced)
Tony's Wife's Nephew
Born and raised in New Jersey and very proud of it, this fact can be seen in all of his movies. His first movie, Clerks. (1994), was filmed in the convenience store in which Smith worked. He was only allowed to shoot at night after the store closed. This movie won the highest award at the Sundance film festival and was brought to theaters by Miramax. The movie went over so well that Smith was able to make another movie, Mallrats (1995). This movie, as Kevin has said, was meant to be a "smart Porkys". Although it didn't do well at all in the box office, it has done more then well on video store shelves and is usually the favorite among many Smith fans.
During filming for the movie Smith met his new close friends and stars of his next movie,Ben Affleck and Jason Lee (I) and his new girlfriend, Joey Lauren Adams. Smith has said that his relationship with Adams has been much of an inspiration for his next movie, Chasing Amy (1997), Smith's comedy drama which won two independent Spirit awards: Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Role (for Jason Lee (I). Around the time that Chasing Amy (1997) was wrapping, Smith broke up with Adams, and then when the Spirit awards were approaching he met his soon-to-be wife, Jennifer Schwalbach Smith. After _Chasing Amy (1997) , Smith started on Dogma (1999), a controversial film about Christianity. Around this time Smith's wife gave birth to their first baby girl, Harley Quinn Smith. Harley Quinn and Jennifer both have roles in Smith's next film,Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001). In this road trip comedy, the cult heroes, Jay and Silent Bob go on an adventure to stop the production of a movie being made about them, find true love, and save an orangutan.
In 2004, he wrote and directed Jersey Girl (2004), starring Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler, although some disappointing reviews and a disappointment at the box office Smith says it did alright going up against the "Bennifer Massacre" known as Gigli (2003).
In 2005 Smith wrote the screenplay for Clerks II (2006), which he planned to start shooting in January of 2005. But when he got a call from Susannah Grant, who wanted Smith to audition for her new film. Smith went into the audition and five minutes after finishing he got a call saying he got the part. Filming began in January 2005 so Smith had to delay the filming of Clerks II. After Catch and Release (2006/II) Smith shot Clerks II in September 2005. After cutting Clerks II they submitted it to the Cannes film festival. It got accepted and at Cannes it got an 8 minute standing ovation.
In '06 Smith also got offered a part in the fourth Die Hard film Live Free or Die Hard (2007). Smith got to film a scene with one of his idols Bruce Willis, the scene was supposed to take one day of filming it ended up taking a week. In 2007 Smith was also hired to direct the pilot for the show "Reaper" (2007) which garnered favorable reviews.
In 2007 and 2008 Smith wrote two scripts a comedy, Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008) and a horror film called Red State (2010). Harvey Weinstein green-lighted "Zack and Miri" based just off the title, although they passed on Red State, Smith plans to get Red State independently funded. Smith filmed Zack and Miri with comedy star Seth Rogen. The film did not meet expectations at the box office but got good reviews. It is Smith's highest grossing movie, although he says he was crushed by the disappointing box office of the film.
Smith was offered the chance to direct a film which was written by Robb Cullen and Mark Cullen (I) called A Couple of Dicks (2010). Smith accepted, it would be two firsts, the first feature Smith has directed but not written and the first feature of Smith's that Scott Mosier has not produced (Mosier is trying to find a film to direct). Smith hired Bruce Willis for the film.
- He is contemplating opening a real Mooby's fast food restaurant.
- At the height of controversy over his film _Dogma (1999)_ (qv), Kevin Smith and his friend Bryan Johnson participated in a protest against the film at an Eatontown, New Jersey, movie theater. Smith and Johnson hand-made signs that read "'Dogma' is dogshit" and and "To Hell With 'Dogma.'" The protest, which was supposed to attract hundreds of demonstrators, was only attended by about 15 people. Smith was recognized and interviewed by a local TV news reporter, to whom he refused to admit that he really was Kevin Smith.
- Made a bet with 'Ethan Suplee' (qv) after filming _Mallrats (1995)_ (qv) that he could lose more weight in 10 years than Ethan. Ethan won the bet.
- He was the first and only guest on 'Michael Moore (II)' (qv)'s Fox pilot _The Michael Moore Show (1997) (TV)_ (qv).
- Won a Harvey Award, given for achievement in comic books, in 1999 for Best New Talent based on his work with Marvel's Daredevil as well as his comic book series "Clerks" and "Jay & Silent Bob" for Oni.
- Has stated that he had an idea for a children's book and that he'd like to write it before his little girl reaches her teens.
- Created an online short film contest called Movies Askew in 2005. The twelve finalists were screened in Hollywood for Smith and a famous panel of judges that included 'Jason Mewes' (qv) and _Donnie Darko (2001)_ (qv) director 'Richard Kelly (II)' (qv). 'Duane Graves' (qv) took home the Grand Prize for his documentary _Up Syndrome (2000)_ (qv), granting him the privilege of working with Smith on one of his future projects.