Jan. 18th, 1955
Lynwood, California, USA
Kevin Costner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kevin Michael Costner (born January 18, 1955) is an American actor, singer, musician, producer, and director. He has won two Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, and one Emmy Award, and has been nominated for three BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Awards. Costner's notable roles include Eliot Ness in The Untouchables, Crash Davis in Bull Durham, Ray Kinsella in Field of Dreams, Lt. John J. Dunbar in Dances with Wolves, Jim Garrison in JFK, Robin Hood in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Frank Farmer in The Bodyguard, and Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel.
Costner was born in Lynwood, California and grew up in Compton, California as the youngest of three sons (the middle of whom died at birth in 1953). His mother, Sharon Rae (née Tedrick), was a welfare worker, and his father, William Costner, was an electrician and later utilities executive at Southern California Edison.
Costner's patrilineal heritage originates with German immigrants to South Carolina in the 1700s; he also has English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and other German, ancestry. Costner was raised Baptist. He attended Cabrillo Middle School, Buena High School, and Villa Park High School. Costner was not academically inclined. Rather, he enjoyed sports, took piano lessons, wrote poetry, and sang in the First Baptist Choir. He has stated that a viewing of the film How the West Was Won at the age of seven had "formed" his childhood.
At 18, he built his own canoe and paddled his way down the rivers that Lewis & Clark followed to the Pacific. Despite his present height, he was only 5'2" when he graduated high school. Nonetheless, he still managed to be a basketball, football and baseball star.
In 1973, he enrolled at California State University at Fullerton, where he majored in business. During that period, Kevin decided to take acting lessons five nights a week. He graduated with a business degree in 1978 and married his college sweetheart, 'Cindy Costner'. He initially took a marketing job in Orange County. Everything changed when he accidentally met 'Richard Burton' on a flight from Mexico. Burton advised him to go completely after acting if that is what he wanted. He quit his job and moved to Hollywood soon after. He drove a truck, worked on a deep sea fishing boat, and gave bus tours to stars' homes before finally making his own way into the films. After making one soft core sex film, he vowed to not work again if that was the only work he could do. He didn't work for nearly six years, while he waited for a proper break. That break came with The Big Chill (1983), even though his scenes ended up on the cutting room floor -- he was remembered by director 'Lawrence Kasdan' when he decided to make Silverado (1985).
- He turned down the part of Adam Gibson in _The 6th Day (2000)_ (qv) because of family commitments. The role later went to 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' (qv).
- Some of his favorite directors are 'Frank Capra' (qv), 'George Stevens (I)' (qv), 'John Sturges' (qv), 'Martin Scorsese' (qv), 'Francis Ford Coppola' (qv) and 'Steven Spielberg' (qv).
- He is a supporter of a British soccer team Arsenal.
- (1990) Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world.
- In both _The Upside of Anger (2005)_ (qv) and _Mr. Brooks (2007)_ (qv), songs by New Zealand indie band The Veils are featured in scenes in which he is on the phone with another character.
- (1991) Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world.
- Some of his favorite films are _How the West Was Won (1962)_ (qv), _Cool Hand Luke (1967)_ (qv), _Giant (1956)_ (qv), _The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)_ (qv), The Great Escape (1963), _Hombre (1967)_ (qv), 'Searchers, The (1956)_, 'Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The (1962)_, _Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)_ (qv), and 'Magnificent Seven, The (1960)_.
- Children: (with ex-girlfriend Bridget Rooney) Liam Costner (b. 1996); (with ex-wife 'Cindy Costner' (qv)) Anne Clayton Costner (b. April 15, 1984, Lily McCall Costner (b. August 4, 1986) and Joe Tedrick Costner (b. January 31, 1988); (with wife 'Christine Baumgartner (II)' (qv)) Cayden Wyatt Costner (born May 6, 2007 at 10:30 pm in Los Angeles at 7 lbs. 14 oz.) and Hayes Logan Costner (b. February 12, 2009 at 8 lbs. 15 oz.).