Jan. 18th, 1955
Lynwood, California, USA
Kevin Costner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kevin Michael Costner (born January 18, 1955) is an American actor, singer, musician, producer, and director. He has won two Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, and one Emmy Award, and has been nominated for three BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Awards. Costner's notable roles include Eliot Ness in The Untouchables, Crash Davis in Bull Durham, Ray Kinsella in Field of Dreams, Lt. John J. Dunbar in Dances with Wolves, Jim Garrison in JFK, Robin Hood in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Frank Farmer in The Bodyguard, and Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel.
Costner was born in Lynwood, California and grew up in Compton, California as the youngest of three sons (the middle of whom died at birth in 1953). His mother, Sharon Rae (née Tedrick), was a welfare worker, and his father, William Costner, was an electrician and later utilities executive at Southern California Edison.
Costner's patrilineal heritage originates with German immigrants to South Carolina in the 1700s; he also has English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and other German, ancestry. Costner was raised Baptist. He attended Cabrillo Middle School, Buena High School, and Villa Park High School. Costner was not academically inclined. Rather, he enjoyed sports, took piano lessons, wrote poetry, and sang in the First Baptist Choir. He has stated that a viewing of the film How the West Was Won at the age of seven had "formed" his childhood.
At 18, he built his own canoe and paddled his way down the rivers that Lewis & Clark followed to the Pacific. Despite his present height, he was only 5'2" when he graduated high school. Nonetheless, he still managed to be a basketball, football and baseball star.
In 1973, he enrolled at California State University at Fullerton, where he majored in business. During that period, Kevin decided to take acting lessons five nights a week. He graduated with a business degree in 1978 and married his college sweetheart, 'Cindy Costner'. He initially took a marketing job in Orange County. Everything changed when he accidentally met 'Richard Burton' on a flight from Mexico. Burton advised him to go completely after acting if that is what he wanted. He quit his job and moved to Hollywood soon after. He drove a truck, worked on a deep sea fishing boat, and gave bus tours to stars' homes before finally making his own way into the films. After making one soft core sex film, he vowed to not work again if that was the only work he could do. He didn't work for nearly six years, while he waited for a proper break. That break came with The Big Chill (1983), even though his scenes ended up on the cutting room floor -- he was remembered by director 'Lawrence Kasdan' when he decided to make Silverado (1985).
- Movies he likes are _Red River (1948)_ (qv), _Ben-Hur (1959)_ (qv), _Lawrence of Arabia (1962)_ (qv), and _Spartacus (1960)_ (qv).
- Made his directorial debut in _Dances with Wolves (1990)_ (qv).
- (1986) Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1986" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 38.
- The President of the United States role in the mega-blockbuster _Air Force One (1997)_ (qv) was written specifically for Kevin Costner. In fact, Kevin Costner helped develop the action film with Beacon Communications and writer 'Andrew W. Marlowe' (qv) in 1996. But, Kevin had to eventually pass on the film because of work delays with his futuristic _The Postman (1997)_ (qv). Costner called up 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) personally and offered Harrison a once-in-a-lifetime role. 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) accepted the role and has always thanked Kevin Costner in interviews for his kind gesture. _Air Force One (1997)_ (qv) went on to become one of the highest grossing films of all time.
- Costner & Ford's casting choices have crossed paths many times before. 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) turned down the Jack Ryan role in _The Hunt for Red October (1990)_ (qv) as did Kevin Costner. 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) instead made _Presumed Innocent (1990)_ (qv) and Kevin Costner made his Oscar-winning _Dances with Wolves (1990)_ (qv). The Jack Ryan role went to then character actor 'Alec Baldwin' (qv).
- Graduated from Villa Park High School in Villa Park, California.
- Announced players who had been selected to Major League Baseball's All Century Team at the 1999 All Star game at Fenway Park in Boston.
- His first wife, 'Cindy Costner' (qv), played "Snow White" for Disneyland.