Jul. 8th, 1958
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kevin Norwood Bacon (born July 8, 1958) is an American actor and musician whose notable roles include National Lampoon's Animal House (1978), Friday the 13th (1980), Diner (1982), Footloose (1984), She's Having a Baby (1988), Flatliners (1990), Tremors (1990), Wild Things (1998), JFK (1991), A Few Good Men (1992), The River Wild (1994), Murder in the First (1995), Apollo 13 (1995), Stir of Echoes (1999), Hollow Man (2000), Trapped (2002), Mystic River (2003), The Woodsman (2004), Death Sentence (2007), Frost/Nixon (2008), and X-Men: First Class (2011).
Bacon, one of six children, was born and raised in a close-knit family in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His mother, Ruth Hilda Holmes, taught at an elementary school and was a liberal activist, while his father, Edmund Norwood Bacon, was a well-respected architect and a prominent Philadelphian who had been Executive Director of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission for many years. At 16, in 1975, Bacon won a full scholarship to and attended the Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Arts at Bucknell University, a state-funded five-week arts program at which he studied theatre under Dr. Glory Van Scott. The experience solidified Bacon's passion for the arts.
Bacon has won a Golden Globe Award, three Screen Actors Guild Awards, and was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award. He was named by The Guardian as one of the best actors never to have received an Academy Award nomination. In 2003, Bacon received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Bacon has been married to actress 'Kyra Sedgwick' since September 4, 1988; they met on the set of the PBS version of Lanford Wilson's play Lemon Sky. He has said "The time I was hitting what I considered to be bottom was also the time I met my wife, our kids were born, good things were happening. And I was able to keep supporting myself; that always gave me strength". Bacon and Sedgwick have starred together in Pyrates, Murder in the First, The Woodsman, and Loverboy. They have two children, Travis Sedgwick (b. 1989) and Sosie Ruth (b. 1992). The family resides on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
Bacon formed a band called The Bacon Brothers with his brother, Michael. The duo has released six albums.
He currently stars on the Fox television series The Following.
- Has a vacation farmhouse in Litchfield Hills, Connecticut.
- Lost an undisclosed amount of money in the 'Bernard Madoff' (qv) scandal.
- He was the first choice for the 'Charlie Sheen (I)' (qv) part in _Being John Malkovich (1999)_ (qv).
- In _Quicksilver (1986)_ (qv) and _A Few Good Men (1992)_ (qv), his characters are both nicknamed "Smiling Jack".
- Kevin Bacon was the last interview of PARADE's "In Step With..." columnist James Brady, who passed away on January 26, 2009. The interview of Kevin Bacon appeared in the February 15, 2009 issue of PARADE magazine.
- Daughter, 'Sosie Bacon' (qv), was born on March 15, 1992, with wife 'Kyra Sedgwick' (qv).
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#61).