Dec. 10th, 1960
Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
5' 9 1/2"
Kenneth Branagh's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Kenneth Charles Branagh was born on December 10, 1960, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK, to parents William Branagh, a carpenter born in 1930, and Frances Branagh, also born in 1930. His brother William Branagh Jr. was born in 1955 and sister Joyce Branagh was born in 1970. At 23 Branagh joined the Royal Shakespeare Company, where he took on starring roles in "Henry V" and "Romeo and Juliet". He soon found the RSC too large and impersonal and formed his own, the Renaissance Theatre Company, which now counts Prince Charles as one of its royal patrons. At 29 he directed and starred in the film Henry V (1989), which costarred his then-wife, Emma Thompson (I). The film brought him Best Actor and Best Director Oscar nominations. In 1993 he brought Shakespeare to mainstream audiences again with his hit adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing (1993), which featured an all-star cast that included Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves. At 30 he published his autobiography and at 34 he directed and starred as Victor Frankenstein in the big-budget adaptation of Mary Shelley (I)'s novel, Frankenstein (1994), with Robert De Niro as the monster himself. The bad reviews may have had some effect on his marriage, though, because in October 1995 he and Thompson announced their plans to divorce. In 1996 Branagh wrote, directed and starred in a lavish adaptation of Hamlet (1996). In recent years he starred in a series of non-Bard-related roles in Celebrity (1998), Wild Wild West (1999), and as a voice in The Road to El Dorado (2000).
- Moved to Reading, England at the age of nine. At age 23, he became the youngest actor in the Royal Shakespeare Company to ever play the lead in Shakespeare's "Henry V".
- Originally cast as the lead in _Amadeus (1984)_ (qv) before the production company decided on casting American actors in the leading roles.
- He allegedly declined the C.B.E. (Commander of the order of the British Empire) in 1994.
- Mentioned in theme song in _The Adventures of George the Projectionist (2006)_ (qv).
- He can speak Italian.
- Wrote many of the _In the Bleak Midwinter (1995)_ (qv) characters for specific actors.
- Educated at RADA, London
- Is a vice-president of Chichester Cinema at New Park. 'Maggie Smith (I)' (qv) and 'Anita Roddick' (qv) are also vice-presidents.