Feb. 11th, 1981
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Kelly Rowland's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - The Beyonce Experience
2003 - Freddy vs. Jason
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Judge
Herself - Musical Guest
Kelendria Trene Rowland (born February 11, 1981), also known simply as Kelly Rowland, is an American recording artist, songwriter, dancer, actress and television personality.
Born in Atlanta, Georgia, she is the daughter of Doris Rowland Garrison and Christopher Lovett. When she was seven, her mother took her and left her father, who was an abusive alcoholic. At the age of eight, she relocated to Houston.
Rowland rose to fame as a founding member of Destiny's Child, who have sold 60 million records worldwide, making them one of the world's best-selling girl groups. As of November 2012, Rowland, as a solo artist, has sold over 24 million records worldwide. Her work has earned her several achievements, including a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with Destiny's Child, four Grammy Awards, a Billboard Music Award, and a Soul Train Music Award. Rowland has been honored by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) and Essence magazine for her contributions to music.
Apart from her work in music, Rowland has also launched a career in film and television. In 2002, she made her acting debut with guest appearances on sitcom series The Hughleys and Taina, prior to appearing in various films, including Freddy vs. Jason (2003), The Seat Filler (2004) and Think Like a Man (2012). In 2007, Rowland appeared as a choirmaster on the reality show Clash of the Choirs, and in 2009 she served as the host on Bravo's reality competition series The Fashion Show alongside 'Isaac Mizrahi'. Rowland served as a judge for the eighth series of UK version of The X Factor in 2011, and will serve as a judge for the third season of the American version in 2013. In 2012, she became a dance master on the first series of the Australian dance talent show Everybody Dance Now.
Rowland began dating American football player 'Roy Williams' in 2004 and they became engaged later that year. However, the couple called off their engagement in January 2005, two months prior to the planned wedding ceremony in March. Williams stated that they did not "know each other well enough to get married". Shortly after, Rowland appeared on the cover of Modern Bride wearing her wedding dress. The singer stated that she was so embarrassed about the cover because the public had already knew about her and Williams' separation. "I didn't even want to go out of the house and I really didn't want to put my family in the position of having to answer questions about the wedding".
- During the Bush/Cheney campaign in 2000, she was, along with all of Destiny's Child, a supporter of Bush.
- No longer lives with fellow band member, 'Beyoncé Knowles' (qv). Has her own house in Sugar Land, Texas.
- She has had two solo top five single enteries, Stole and Can't Nobody, when they were released in the UK.
- Attended Lamar High School in Houston, Texas.
- Joined 'Destiny's Child' (qv) in 1992 to make the quartet of the original Destiny's Child girls: LaToya Luckett, LaTavia Roberson, Kelendria Rowland & Beyonce Knowles.
- May 10, 2004 - Engaged to Pro Bowl Safety Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys, who played for the Oklahoma Sooners. However, Williams and Rowland respectively broke the engagement off in 2006.
- Best friends with 'Beyoncé Knowles' (qv) since they were children.
- (June 13th 2005) She and the other members of "Destiny Child" announced that they will disband after their tour ends in the fall