Oct. 13th, 1962
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Kelly Preston's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - From Paris With Love
2010 - The Last Song
2010 - Casino Jack
2009 - Old Dogs
2007 - Death Sentence
2005 - Sky High
2003 - The Cat in the Hat
2003 - What a Girl Wants
2001 - Daddy and Them
2000 - Battlefield Earth
1999 - For Love of the Game
1998 - Jack Frost
1998 - Holy Man
1997 - Addicted to Love
1997 - Nothing to Lose
1996 - From Dusk Till Dawn
1996 - Curdled
1996 - Citizen Ruth
1996 - Jerry Maguire
1995 - Waiting to Exhale
1991 - Run
1987 - Amazon Women on the Moon
1986 - Space Camp
1986 - 52 Pick-Up
1985 - Secret Admirer
1985 - Mischief
1983 - Christine
1983 - Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn
1983 - 10 to Midnight
Guest TV Roles
Donna Di Gregorio
Herself - Guest
Kelly Preston (born Kelly Kamalelehua Smith; October 13, 1962) is an American actress and former model. Films she appeared in include Mischief, Twins and Jerry Maguire, among more than sixty roles on film and television. Although she already had fame, she gained a lot more when she starred as Joan Walden in The Cat in the Hat.
Preston was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. Her mother Linda, was an administrator of a mental health center and her father, who worked for an agricultural firm, drowned when Preston was only three years old. Her mother married Peter Palzis, a personnel director, who subsequently adopted her; she used his name when she first began her acting career until 1984. She has a younger half-brother, Chris Palzis. As a child, she spent time living in Iraq and also in Australia, where she attended Pembroke School. She went on to Punahou School and studied drama and theater at the University of Southern California.
Preston was married to actor 'Kevin Gage' from 1985 until their divorce in 1987. She also had a relationship with 'George Clooney', who gave her Max, a pet pig that he kept after the couple split up. She was briefly engaged to 'Charlie Sheen' in 1990, but ended the relationship shortly after he accidentally shot her in the arm.
While living in Australia, Preston was discovered at 16 by a fashion photographer who helped her get work in commercials and other small parts, and organised Preston's first film audition in 1980 for the role of Emmeline in The Blue Lagoon (1980), which she lost to the younger Brooke Shields. At that time she changed her last name to Preston.
Her first prominent film roles came in 1985, firstly as Marilyn McCauley in romantic comedy teen flick Mischief and then as the beautiful but shallow Deborah Ann Fimple in another teen romantic comedy, Secret Admirer. Other notable roles included SpaceCamp (1986), Twins (1988) with 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' and 'Danny DeVito', Avery Bishop in Jerry Maguire (1996) with 'Tom Cruise' and Kate Newell in Holy Man (1998) with 'Eddie Murphy' and 'Jeff Goldblum'.
She played the girlfriend of her husband, John Travolta's, character "Terl" in the 2000 film Battlefield Earth, and received "Worst Supporting Actress" at the 21st Golden Raspberry Awards for her role in the film. In 2005 she appeared as the flying, superheroine mother of the protagonist in the film Sky High.
Preston was featured in the chart-topping Maroon 5 music video, "She Will Be Loved" in 2004. The video features a love triangle and romantic scenes between Preston and Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine. In 2008, she was cast in a television pilot for a potential show called Suburban Shootout. She had a short term recurring role on Medium.
In 2008, Preston starred in the Lifetime movie The Tenth Circle, directed by Peter Markle. The film was shot in Nova Scotia and featured Ron Eldard, Brittany Robertson, Michael Riley, Jamie Johnston and Geordie Brown.
She is a spokeswoman for Neutrogena since 2005 and appears in print and television advertisements.
Preston is set to play Victoria Gotti in the upcoming John Gotti biopic Gotti: In The Shadow of my Father.
Preston first met 'John Travolta' in 1987 while filming The Experts. They married in 1991, traveling to Paris on an Air France Concorde for a wedding ceremony at the Hotel de Crillon (close to Place de la Concorde) on September 5, 1991. However, a second ceremony was required because the first, performed by a French Scientology minister (both Preston and Travolta are Scientologists), was considered invalid. This second ceremony took place on September 12 in Daytona Beach, Florida. They had three children: Jett (April 13, 1992-January, 2, 2009), Ella Bleu (born April 3, 2000), and Benjamin Hunter Kaleo (born November 23, 2010).
On January 2, 2009, Jett Travolta died while the family was on a holiday vacation in The Bahamas. His death was attributed to a seizure. Jett suffered from Kawasaki disease as an infant and had a history of seizures. In September 2009, Travolta and Preston confirmed longstanding speculations when they testified that their son had autism and suffered regular seizures. This revelation came during their testimony at the trial resulting from an extortion attempt related to their son's death.
- Her first child with 'John Travolta' (qv), son 'Jett Travolta' (qv), was born 13 April 1992.
- Eldest son 'Jett Travolta' (qv) died January 2, 2009 of a seizure as a result of Kawasaki Syndrome. He reportedly hit his head in the family's bathtub in their home in the Bahamas.
- After her child Jett was diagnosed with "Kawasaki's Syndrome", an illness affecting children, which resulted in severe allergies and asthma attacks, Kelly has worked tirelessly on behalf of CHEC, the Children's Health Environmental Coalition, which is a national non-profit organization dedicated to educating parents about environmental toxins that can affect children's health and informing them of the many potential health hazards in the environment. 'Olivia Newton-John' (qv) is also a CHEC board member.
- Attended Pembroke School in Adelaine, South Australia and graduated from Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Was turned down for the role of Emmeline in _The Blue Lagoon (1980)_ (qv). This was Preston's first film audition. The part went to 'Brooke Shields' (qv).
- Was among the guests at 'Tom Cruise' (qv)'s and 'Katie Holmes' (qv)' wedding ceremony in Italy.
- Discovered by a fashion photographer when she was 16, he helped her get work in commercials and even set up for an audition for the 'Brooke Shields' (qv)' role in _The Blue Lagoon (1980)_ (qv). She didn't get the part because she was too sultry.
- Did all of her own singing in the movie _What a Girl Wants (2003)_ (qv).