Feb. 28th, 1944
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Kelly Bishop's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2000 - Wonder Boys
1997 - Private Parts
1995 - Miami Rhapsody
1993 - Six Degrees of Separation
1987 - Dirty Dancing
1986 - Solarbabies
Guest TV Roles
Mrs. Kent (Voiced)
- Made her Broadway debut in the musical "Golden Rainbow" in 1967, but scored big as the sexy, streetwise Sheila in the Broadway production of "A Chorus Line" with her contribution in the song "At the Ballet". The performance earned her Tony and Drama Desk awards in 1976.
- Trained in ballet, she attended the American Ballet Theatre and the San Jose Ballet schools.
- Made a strong film debut in mid-career as one of 'Jill Clayburgh' (qv)'s close friends in 'Paul Mazursky' (qv)'s well-received drama _An Unmarried Woman (1978)_ (qv).
- Was the first of the original cast members to leave "A Chorus Line".
- Was originally cast in a minor part in the film _Dirty Dancing (1987)_ (qv), but was then called upon to play a larger role when Lynn Lipton, the actress first cast as Baby's mother, became ill during the first week of shooting.
- At age 18 she made it to New York and landed her first job dancing in a year-round ballet company at Radio City Music Hall.
- She is an animal enthusiast.
- Won Broadway's 1976 Tony as Best Supporting or Featured Actress (Musical) for her performance as Sheila in the original production of "A Chorus Line."