Feb. 28th, 1944
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Kelly Bishop's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- Was originally cast in a minor part in the film _Dirty Dancing (1987)_ (qv), but was then called upon to play a larger role when Lynn Lipton, the actress first cast as Baby's mother, became ill during the first week of shooting.
- Made her Broadway debut in the musical "Golden Rainbow" in 1967, but scored big as the sexy, streetwise Sheila in the Broadway production of "A Chorus Line" with her contribution in the song "At the Ballet". The performance earned her Tony and Drama Desk awards in 1976.
- Won Broadway's 1976 Tony as Best Supporting or Featured Actress (Musical) for her performance as Sheila in the original production of "A Chorus Line."
- Trained in ballet, she attended the American Ballet Theatre and the San Jose Ballet schools.
- Made a strong film debut in mid-career as one of 'Jill Clayburgh' (qv)'s close friends in 'Paul Mazursky' (qv)'s well-received drama _An Unmarried Woman (1978)_ (qv).
- Practices Pilates and aerobics and enjoys gardening and hiking.
- Her husband, 'Lee Leonard (I)' (qv), is host of 'Jersey Talkin' on Channel 12, New Jersey. He was also the host of "Midday Live" a long-running local talk show on New York's WNYW-TV. Leonard was also an anchor at ESPN.
- Was the first of the original cast members to leave "A Chorus Line".