Mar. 26th, 1985
Teddington, Middlesex, England, UK
Keira Knightley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Begin Again
2011 - A Dangerous Method
2010 - Never Let Me Go
2008 - The Duchess
2008 - The Edge of Love
2007 - Atonement
2007 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
2005 - The Jacket
2005 - Domino
2005 - Pride & Prejudice
2004 - King Arthur
2003 - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
2003 - Love Actually
2002 - Thunderpants
2002 - Bend It Like Beckham
2001 - The Hole
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Guest TV Roles
The daughter of actor 'Will Knightley' and playwright 'Sharman Macdonald'. After she requested an agent at the age of three, her parents allowed her to work on productions in her summer holidays.
Her first role was at the age of 9, in Moira Armstrong's A Village Affair (1995). However, Knightley's first high profile role came in 1999, as Sabe, Decoy Queen to Natalie Portman's Queen Amidala in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999). Since then she has completed an impressive array of films including The Hole (2001), but is probably best known for her role of tomboy footballer Jules Paxton in Gurinder Chadha's Bend It Like Beckham (2002).
- The green satin gown she wore in _Atonement (2007)_ (qv) was voted the public's favorite film costume of all time in a survey by Sky Movies and In Style magazine (January 2008).
- The Royal Shakespeare Company of Stratford, England, held a 2004 poll asking movie viewers to vote for the actor and actress they would love to see play Romeo and Juliet, and the winners were Knightley and 'James Marsters' (qv). More than 2,000 people voted for more than 150 different actors for both roles. Keira triumphed over 'Kate Winslet' (qv), 'Nicole Kidman' (qv), 'Scarlett Johansson' (qv), and 'Juliet Landau' (qv) in the vote. Knightley said, "I am absolutely thrilled to have come top of the poll, particularly as Juliet is a role I would very much love to play in the future." (April 23, 2004)
- In January 2007, the Daily Mail newspaper published an article about a girl who had died from anorexia which falsely suggested that Keira was also anorexic and showed a photograph of her in a bikini alongside an emotive quote from the girl's mother "If pictures like this one of Keira carried a health warning, my darling daughter might have lived". Keira successfully sued the Mail for libel.
- Named #9 on MAXIM magazines "Hot 100" list of 2006
- At age 20, she was the third-youngest woman in Oscar history to be nominated for Best Actress.
- Made her debut on the Forbes 100 Most Powerful Celebrities in June, 2007. She came in a #71 beating out other high profile actresses like 'Scarlett Johansson' (qv) and 'Reese Witherspoon' (qv).
- Trained in dancing.
- Was considered for the role of Ann in _Evening (2007)_ (qv), but wasn't able to do it due to schedule conflicts.