Mar. 26th, 1985
Teddington, Middlesex, England, UK
Keira Knightley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Begin Again
2011 - A Dangerous Method
2010 - Never Let Me Go
2008 - The Duchess
2008 - The Edge of Love
2007 - Atonement
2007 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
2005 - The Jacket
2005 - Domino
2005 - Pride & Prejudice
2004 - King Arthur
2003 - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
2003 - Love Actually
2002 - Thunderpants
2002 - Bend It Like Beckham
2001 - The Hole
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Guest TV Roles
The daughter of actor Will Knightley and playwright Sharman Macdonald. After she requested an agent at the age of three, her parents allowed her to work on productions in her summer holidays. Her first role was at the age of 9, in Moira Armstrong's A Village Affair (1995) (TV). However, Knightley's first high profile role came in 1999, as Sabe, Decoy Queen to Natalie Portman's Queen Amidala in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999). Since then she has completed an impressive array of films including The Hole (2001), but is probably best known for her role of tomboy footballer Jules Paxton in Gurinder Chadha's Bend It Like Beckham (2002).
- The green satin gown she wore in _Atonement (2007)_ (qv) was voted the public's favorite film costume of all time in a survey by Sky Movies and In Style magazine (January 2008).
- She did her first topless scene at the age of 15, in _The Hole (2001)_ (qv), whilst the film was released in 2001 it was filmed in 2000. For legal reasons due to her age her mother had to agree and the set was closed.
- At 16, she went to Esher College to study for her A Levels, but quit the course when offered the role of Lara in _Doctor Zhivago (2002) (TV)_ (qv).
- Her role as the decoy queen in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) was kept secret in order to not spoil the surprise, it was maintained through the promotions that Portman played both the Queen and the decoy.
- Credits her dark looks to her mother's Black Scottish heritage, who were descendants of the Spanish Armada.
- As of February 2006, says she plans on remaining living in London and will not move to Los Angeles to further her career in American films.
- In January 2007, the Daily Mail newspaper published an article about a girl who had died from anorexia which falsely suggested that Keira was also anorexic and showed a photograph of her in a bikini alongside an emotive quote from the girl's mother "If pictures like this one of Keira carried a health warning, my darling daughter might have lived". Keira successfully sued the Mail for libel.
- Her hero is her cast mate in _Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ (qv), 'Geoffrey Rush' (qv).