Mar. 26th, 1985
Teddington, Middlesex, England, UK
Keira Knightley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - A Dangerous Method
2010 - Never Let Me Go
2008 - The Edge of Love
2008 - The Duchess
2007 - Atonement
2007 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
2005 - Domino
2005 - The Jacket
2005 - Pride & Prejudice
2004 - King Arthur
2003 - Love Actually
2003 - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
2002 - Bend It Like Beckham
2002 - Thunderpants
2001 - The Hole
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Guest TV Roles
The daughter of actor Will Knightley and playwright Sharman Macdonald. After she requested an agent at the age of three, her parents allowed her to work on productions in her summer holidays. Her first role was at the age of 9, in Moira Armstrong's A Village Affair (1995) (TV). However, Knightley's first high profile role came in 1999, as Sabe, Decoy Queen to Natalie Portman's Queen Amidala in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999). Since then she has completed an impressive array of films including The Hole (2001), but is probably best known for her role of tomboy footballer Jules Paxton in Gurinder Chadha's Bend It Like Beckham (2002).
- Her role as the decoy queen in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) was kept secret in order to not spoil the surprise, it was maintained through the promotions that Portman played both the Queen and the decoy.
- Voted #15 in the AfterEllen Hot 100, a list of the hottest women in entertainment as voted by lesbian and bisexual women (June 2007).
- Voted #10 in FHM 100 Sexiest 2008.
- The Royal Shakespeare Company of Stratford, England, held a 2004 poll asking movie viewers to vote for the actor and actress they would love to see play Romeo and Juliet, and the winners were Knightley and 'James Marsters' (qv). More than 2,000 people voted for more than 150 different actors for both roles. Keira triumphed over 'Kate Winslet' (qv), 'Nicole Kidman' (qv), 'Scarlett Johansson' (qv), and 'Juliet Landau' (qv) in the vote. Knightley said, "I am absolutely thrilled to have come top of the poll, particularly as Juliet is a role I would very much love to play in the future." (April 23, 2004)
- Named #9 on MAXIM magazines "Hot 100" list of 2006
- When auditioning for the role of Jackie Price in _The Jacket (2005)_ (qv), she had suffered food poisoning a few days earlier. She decided to audition anyway and the film makers liked her "acting" for the scene, as Jackie Price was to be a woman with many issues of loss and pain as well as being physically sick in general.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $9 million.
- Credits her dark looks to her mother's Black Scottish heritage, who were descendants of the Spanish Armada.