Jul. 2nd, 1966
Newton, Massachusetts, USA
Kathryn Erbe's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Worst Friends
1999 - Stir of Echoes
1997 - Dream with the Fishes
1995 - The Addiction
1994 - D2: The Mighty Ducks
1991 - What About Bob?
Guest TV Roles
Lt. Alexandra Eames
Kathryn Elsbeth Erbe (born July 2, 1966) is an American actress, known for her role as Det. Alexandra Eames in Law & Order: Criminal Intent, a spin-off of Law & Order and deathrow inmate Shirley Bellinger in the HBO series, Oz.
Erbe was born the oldest of three children in Newton, Massachusetts. Her mother, Elisabeth Magnarelli, was a vice president of a Boston management firm, and her father, Dr. Richard Erbe, is an internist at the University at Buffalo subspecialized as a medical geneticist.
She graduated from New York University in 1989. She was formerly married to actor Terry Kinney, with whom she has two children: daughter Maeve (born 1995) and son Carson Lincoln (born 2003). Erbe currently resides in Brooklyn, New York.
While an undergraduate student at NYU, Erbe was cast as Lynn Redgrave's daughter on the sitcom Chicken Soup. Following the series, she became a member of the Steppenwolf Theatre Company and has starred in many of their productions, including A Streetcar Named Desire, Curse of the Starving Class, My Thing of Love, and The Grapes of Wrath, which ran for six months and won the 1990 Tony Award for Best Play. Erbe earned a Tony Award nomination in 1991 for her portrayal of Mary in The Speed of Darkness, written by Steve Tesich. She has also performed in many world premiere productions by playwrights such as Tom Donaghy and Alex Gersten.
Erbe has starred in several films, including What About Bob?, Stir of Echoes, Rich in Love and the independent films Dream with the Fishes, Love from Ground Zero and Entropy. She played the second wife of an ex-convict opposite David Caruso in the crime thriller Kiss of Death. She portrayed Shirley Bellinger on the HBO series Oz to critical acclaim. She made a guest appearance on Homicide: Life on the Street in 1997.
From 2001 to early 2010 she starred as Detective Alexandra Eames on the NBC/USA Network series Law & Order: Criminal Intent alongside Vincent D'Onofrio. In spring of 2010 both Erbe and D'Onofrio left Criminal Intent. However, in September 2010 it was announced D'Onofrio would be returning for the 10th and final season of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent".Kathryn Erbe has signed on to reprise the role of Detective Eames for the eight episode final season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. She joins Vince D’Onofrio who had already signed up to return as Detective Goren. “We’re thrilled to have Kathryn Erbe return as Detective Eames, the perfect complement to Donofrio’s Detective Goren,” said USA’s president of original programming Jeff Wachtel. “We now have the definitive team for the ultimate season of this phenomenal show.”
- Became a member of the Steppenwolf Theatre Company's ensemble in Chicago in 1993, which her husband 'Terry Kinney' (qv) co-founded.
- Nominated for Broadway's 1991 Tony Award as Best Actress (Featured Role - Play) for "The Speed of Darkness."
- (1990) Graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts undergraduate drama program
- The oldest of three children; her mother, Elisabeth Magnarelli, was a vice president of a Boston management firm, and her father, Dr. Richard Erbe, is an internist subspecialized as a medical geneticist.
- Daughter, Maeve (born 1996)
- Son, Carson Lincoln Kinney, born October 15, 2003
- Incorporated her real-life pregnancy into her Law & Order character, Alexandra Eames, by stating that she was being a surrogate mother for her infertile sister.