Dec. 29th, 1977
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Katherine Moennig's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Katherine Moennig also known as "Kate," she was born on December 29, 1977, and raised in Philadelphia, PA. Katherine has been widely recognized for her gender-ambiguous looks as a convincing tomboy. Of course on the 2000 television series Young Americans, Moennig played a young woman who dresses up like a boy. She moved to New York when she was 18 to begin training at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, and her post-graduation work included an internship at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. Her growing fame is notably familial, as she is the niece of actress Blythe Danner, and thus the cousin of Gwyneth Paltrow. After her rise in popularity with the teen drama Young Americans and an appearance on Law & Order in 2001, Katherine complemented her TV career with several film appearances. In 2001 she appeared in 'The Shipping News', starring Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, and Cate Blanchett. In 2004 she was cast in the Showtime series 'The L Word', and stayed with that program for six seasons, making an appearance in Art School Confidential halfway through the show's run. She went on to appear in the 2009 family drama 'Everybody's Fine' and the 2012 thriller 'Gone'.
- Is mostly known as Shane McCutcheon in the _"The L Word" (2004)_ (qv).
- Had the central role in the music video for the Canadian band 'Our Lady Peace' (qv), the song was "Is Anybody Home".
- Mostly known for her role as Jake Pratt in _"Young Americans" (2000)_ (qv).
- Has German and Irish ancestry.
- She's trained in fencing, and says that if she wasn't an actress, she'd be a marine biologist or in the FBI. As a little girl, she wanted to be a doorman.
- Mother is a Broadway dancer and father is a violin maker.
- Her grandfather, William Moennig, hailed from Markneukirchen, a little German town famous for musical instruments.
- Auditioned for _Boys Don't Cry (1999)_ (qv).