Jun. 7th, 1972
Wellington, New Zealand
Karl Urban's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Priest
2010 - And Soon the Darkness
2009 - Star Trek
2007 - Pathfinder
2005 - Doom
2004 - The Chronicles of Riddick
2004 - The Bourne Supremacy
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - Ghost Ship
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2000 - The Irrefutable Truth About Demons
2000 - The Price of Milk
Guest TV Roles
Karl-Heinz Urban (born June 7, 1972) is a New Zealand actor. He is best known for playing Éomer in the second and third installments of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy in Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, Caesar on Xena: Warrior Princess, Vaako in The Chronicles of Riddick and Riddick, and Judge Dredd in the 2012 film Dredd. He won acclaim for his performances in New Zealand films The Price of Milk and Out of the Blue.
Urban was born in Wellington, New Zealand. His father, a German immigrant, owned a leather goods store, and his mother once worked for Film Facilities in Wellington. Through his mother, the young Urban was exposed to classic New Zealand cinema, and developed an interest in the film industry. Urban attended St Mark's Church School, where he showed an early love for public performance. His first acting role came at age eight, when he had a single line in one episode of the New Zealand television series Pioneer Woman. Though continuing to take part in school stage productions, he did not act professionally again until after high school.
He attended Wellington College from 1986–1990, then Victoria University of Wellington in the Bachelor of Arts program for one year, then left to pursue his acting career. Over the next few years, he appeared in several local TV commercials in addition to theater roles in the Wellington area. Eventually he moved to Auckland, where he was offered many guest roles in TV shows (one of which was playing a heroin addict in the police drama Shark in the Park). Urban then moved briefly to Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia in 1995, before returning to New Zealand the following year.
Urban first acting role was when he was 8 -- he had a line on a television show. However, he did not act again until after high school. He was offered a role in the NZ drama Shortland Street (1992), as he was preparing to attend Victoria University. After appearing on the show for the 1993-1994 season he attended the university for one year, then left to pursue his acting career. Over the next few years, he landed several theater roles in the Wellington area.
One of his first roles was that of a heroin addict in the drama Shark in the Park (1989). He was in a movie as well, entitled Once in Chunuck Bay (a.k.a. Chunuk Bair (1992). Other television roles followed, including a guest starring role in the series White Fang (1993).
Urban married Natalie Wihongi (who was his makeup artist on The Privateers) in September 2004. Together they have two sons; Hunter, born November 2000, and Indiana ('Indy'), born January 2005 and named for the eponymous hero of the Indiana Jones franchise, which Urban has cited as among his favorite films. They live in Auckland, New Zealand.
Urban serves as a celebrity ambassador for KidsCan, a charity which currently supports over 16,000 disadvantaged children in New Zealand by providing them with essentials such as food, clothing, and shoes.
He is a fan of rugby union; in particular, the New Zealand All Blacks national team.
- Of German descent on his father's side.
- Primary school classmate of Jack Yan.
- Had a beret and coat to perform self-written Frank Spencer skits at the ages of 11 and 12 as school assembly entertainment.
- Reportedly received a $400,000 bonus for his work on "The Lord of the Rings." [London Daily Mail, December 5, 2003]
- Hobbies include fishing, surfing, golf, and gardening.
- Did four roles on _"Xena: Warrior Princess" (1995)_ (qv): Cesar the emperor, Kor a caveman, Cupid son of Aphrodite and Mael (biblical character), Isaac's brother.
- Was considered for the part of Kainan in _Outlander (2008)_ (qv).
- Appears in _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv), which was previously made as an animated film with the voice of 'John Huston (I)' (qv). Urban later appeared in _"Comanche Moon" (2008)_ (qv), a prequel to _"Lonesome Dove" (1989)_ (qv), which featured 'Anjelica Huston' (qv).