May. 1st, 1972
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Julie Benz's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
2008 - Saw V
2008 - Rambo
2008 - Punisher: War Zone
2006 - Kill Your Darlings
2005 - Bad Girls From Valley High
1999 - Jawbreaker
1997 - Inventing the Abbotts
1997 - As Good As It Gets
1996 - Black Sheep
Guest TV Roles
Born in Pennsylvania, Julie Benz's father is a Pittsburgh surgeon and her mother is a figure ice skater. The family settled in nearby Murrysville, when Julie was two, and she started ice skating at age three. She competed in the 1988 U.S. Championships in junior ice dancing with her partner David Schilling, coming in 13th. Her older brother and sister, Jeffrey and Jennifer, were in the 1987 U.S. Junior Champions in ice dancing and competed internationally. When Julie was 14, she had a bad stress fracture and had to take time off.
By 1989, with her figure skating career over, Julie turned to acting and got involved in the local theater where she got a role in the play "Street Law". Her first movie role was a small, credited, speaking part in in the Black Cat episode in the Dario Argento/George A. Romero (I) co-direction horror flick, Due occhi diabolici (1990) playing in one scene alongside Harvey Keitel. A year later, she got a role on a TV show called "Hi Honey, I'm Home" (1991).
After graduating from high school, Julie entered New York University to study acting there. After graduation, Julie moved to Los Angeles to further pursue her career and landed some small roles in movies and TV shows including a guest appearance on "Married with Children" (1987) and in the Aaron Spelling TV pilot Crosstown Traffic (1995) (TV).
In 1996, Julie auditioned for the role of "Buffy" in the series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997), but lost out to Sarah Michelle Gellar. However, she was offered a small role as a vampire girl in which she did such a good job that her part was expanded to a few more episodes in playing the vampire "Darla". With that, Julie Benz's career had finally taken off. She reprised her role as "Darla" in the Buffy spin-off series "Angel" (1999) for two years and has had several small roles in various film productions. She also had a small, but memorable, role playing a receptionist in the movie As Good as It Gets (1997).
Even after her role on "Angel" (1999) wrapped up, Julie continued to find work on television in playing many guest staring roles in numerous popular TV shows from "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (2000), to "Supernatural" (2005), to playing the lead and supporting roles in various made-for-TV movies. Most recently, she landed another notable role on the TV-cable series "Dexter" (2006) playing "Rita", a troubled divorc�e and lover of the title character played by Michael C. Hall (I).
- Her favorite drink is Limoncello.
- She dyed her natural blonde hair to brunette for the film _Punisher: War Zone (2008)_ (qv).
- She is the girlfriend of the Vice President of Marketing for Warner Bros. Television Rich Orosco (2008).
- She collects antique things from every country she visits. Her favorite is a emerald ring she found in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Auditioned for a role in _Eyes Wide Shut (1999)_ (qv). She was called back to audition for the role again, but decided against it when she was going to have to do the scene topless.
- Appeared in both: _"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (2000)_ (qv) and _"CSI: Miami" (2002)_ (qv).
- She competed in the 1988 U.S. Championships in junior ice dancing with David Schilling, placing 13th. Her older sister and brother, Jennifer and Jeffrey, were the 1987 U.S. Junior Champions in ice dancing and competed internationally.
- Is good friends with Buffy and Angel co-star _Eliza Dushku_, although the two never appeared together in an episode of either show.