Jan. 4th, 1958
Otley, Yorkshire, England, UK
Julian Sands' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Tall, gaunt--particularly in horror and drama films--British actor Julian Sands came to the attention of NBC when the network cast him in the made-for-TV The Sun Also Rises (1984) (TV) and then with Anthony Hopkins in the television film A Married Man (1983) (TV). Sands also got notice in his very small roles in Privates on Parade (1982) and The Killing Fields (1984). It wasn't until his funny and romantic role opposite Denholm Elliott in A Room with a View (1985) and then his unusual role in Gothic (1986) that audiences noticed him and were fascinated with his good looks and unusual but sometimes chilling appearance. He continued work on screen in Vibes (1988), Impromptu (1991) and Steven Spielberg's Arachnophobia (1990), until his most remembered role as Warlock (1989), directed by Steve Miner (I). The film was such a major success that he returned for the terrifying sequel, Warlock: The Armageddon (1993). His other credits include Naked Lunch (1991), Tale of a Vampire (1992) and the title role in Dario Argento's The Phantom of the Opera (1990) (TV). Sands has more recently been in Stephen King (I)'s "Rose Red" (2002) and is also occasionally seen on the English stage.
- Has two young daughters from his second marriage: Natalya Morley Sands (b. August 16th 1996), and Imogen Morley Sands (b. December 31st 1999).
- He likes running and has been known to run in "Nike" & "Brooks" running shoes.
- His son Henry was born in 1985.
- Is married to Guinness heiress Evgenia Citkowitz, whose sister Ivana was actually the daughter of writer 'Ivan Moffat' (qv). Evgenia and Ivana are the granddaughters of the late Maureen [Guinness], Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava, one of a glamorous trio of sisters.
- Was introduced to his current wife, Evgenia, by 'John Malkovich' (qv).
- His early theatre days were spent with the Forum Theatre Company.
- Was novelist 'Anne Rice (I)' (qv)'s choice to play Lestat in _Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)_ (qv). More marquee value was needed for the role and the part ultimately went to 'Tom Cruise' (qv).
- Studied at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, where he met first wife Sarah, a journalist.