Mar. 28th, 1981
New York City, New York, USA
Julia Stiles' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Gospel Hill
2007 - The Bourne Ultimatum
2006 - The Omen
2004 - The Bourne Supremacy
2004 - The Prince and Me
2003 - A Guy Thing
2003 - Mona Lisa Smile
2002 - The Bourne Identity
2001 - Save the Last Dance
2001 - The Business of Strangers
2001 - O
2000 - Hamlet
2000 - Down to You
1999 - 10 Things I Hate About You
1998 - Wicked
1998 - Wide Awake
1997 - The Devil's Own
Guest TV Roles
Already critically acclaimed for a number of youthful film roles, it's just a matter of time before fresh-faced blonde Julia Stiles reaches the height of heights as a new tier of adult talent starts hitting the screen. Born Julia O'Hara Stiles on March 28, 1981, in New York City, she is of Irish, Italian and English stock. The outgoing daughter of an elementary school teacher (father) and a Greenwich Village artist (mother), she is the eldest of three children. Encouraged to take modern dance lessons at an early age, she was introduced to Shakespeare and theater as well. At age 11, she made her debut as a child actress with the experimental off-Broadway La MaMa Theatre. Her passion grew and by the next year was performing professionally and working in commercials. A bright, precocious student, she was seriously considered for the child vampire role of Claudia in Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) but lost out in the end to Kirsten Dunst. She continued training at New York's Professional Children's School and, at 15, made her cinematic bow with I Love You, I Love You Not (1996) with Claire Danes. Next featured as the daughter of Harrison Ford (I) in The Devil's Own (1997), her breakout role came on TV with the hard-hitting mini-movie "Before Women Had Wings" (1997), which was produced by Oprah Winfrey and dealt with child abuse. As Ellie Christianson in Wicked (1998), Julia demonstrated a more evil side to her budding versatility. Her wish to play Shakespeare was granted threefold with her participation in 10 Things I Hate About You (1999), which was based on the Bard's "The Taming of The Shrew" and won her the Chicago Film Critics Award as the volatile teen Kat; an updated version of _Hamlet (2000/I)_ which paired her Ophelia with Ethan Hawke; and another updated version of "Othello" entitled O (2001), which had her high school character of Desi (Desdemona) involved in a mixed romantic relationship with African-American Mekhi Phifer. The violent-edged film was made in 1998 but not released until three years later due to the tragic Colorado student shootings at Columbine High School. In addition, Julia later portrayed Viola off-Broadway in a Shakespeare-in-the-Park production of "Twelfth Night" in 2002. She temporarily interrupted her career after deciding to enroll at Columbia University in 2000, majoring in English. Moving into mainstream roles by the millennium, she co-starred with the popular Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity (2002) and its sequel, appeared opposite Julia Roberts (I) in Mona Lisa Smile (2003) and won offbeat notice in the title role of _Carolina (2003)_ with Shirley MacLaine and Randy Quaid as an eccentric actress wannabe who capriciously takes off to Hollywood to pursue her dream. Most recently she returned from Iceland where she filmed A Little Trip to Heaven (2005). Unable to find that one role to put her over the top, this lovely actress continues to engage movie audiences with a potent range of characters in the meantime.
- During her hiatus from _Save the Last Dance (2001)_ (qv), she signed up with Habitat for Humanity International, an organization that builds homes for the needy.
- She and 'Liev Schreiber' (qv) played siblings in _Hamlet (2000)_ (qv). The pair later played husband and wife in _The Omen (2006)_ (qv).
- (2001) Voted one of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People.
- Is of Irish (paternal side) and English and Italian (maternal side) descent. Her parents are John O'Hara and Judith Stiles.
- Won the 2001 Teens Choice Drama Award for her role in _Save the Last Dance (2001)_ (qv).
- No longer a vegan and when 'Conan O'Brien' (qv) asked her what the first bite of a hamburger was like she responded, "The word orgasm comes to mind." (December 2003).
- After a 39-minute rain delay and dressed with a Mets cap, Julia Stiles threw out the opening pitch at Shea Stadium during the Memorial Day game of the New York Mets vs. Arizona Diamondbacks on May 29, 2006.
- In _10 Things I Hate About You (1999)_ (qv) her character, Kat Stratford, was reading the book "The Bell Jar" in a scene. Stiles starred in the movie version of _The Bell Jar (2011)_ (qv) 10 years later.