Oct. 28th, 1967
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Julia Roberts' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Julia Fiona Roberts (born October 28, 1967) is an American actress and producer.
Roberts was born in Atlanta, Georgia, at Crawford Long Hospital (now Emory University Hospital Midtown), to Betty Lou (née Bredemus) and Walter Grady Roberts on October 28, 1967. She is of English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German, and Swedish descent. Her father was a Baptist and her mother a Roman Catholic, and she was raised as the latter. Her older brother, Eric Roberts, from whom she was estranged until 2004; sister Lisa Roberts Gillan; and niece Emma Roberts are also actors
Roberts' parents, one-time actors and playwrights, met while performing theatrical productions for the armed forces. They later co-founded the Atlanta Actors and Writers Workshop in Atlanta, Georgia, off Juniper Street in Midtown. While her mother was pregnant with Roberts, she and her husband ran an acting school for children in Decatur, Georgia. The children of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King attended the school; Yolanda Denise King worked closely with Walter Roberts as her acting coach. As a thank-you for their service, Mrs. King paid the hospital bill when Roberts' mother gave birth to her.
Roberts' mother filed for divorce in 1971 with the divorce being finalized early in 1972. Roberts lived in Smyrna, Georgia in 1972, where she attended Fitzhugh Lee Elementary School, Griffin Middle School, and Campbell High School. Her mother married Michael Motes, who was abusive and often unemployed and whom Julia despised. Motes had a daughter, Nancy Motes, in 1976. Roberts' father died of cancer when she was ten. In 1983, her mother divorced Motes, citing cruelty and stating that marrying him was the biggest mistake of her life.
Roberts wanted to be a veterinarian as a child. She played clarinet in the band in school. After graduating from Smyrna's Campbell High School, she headed to New York to pursue a career in acting. Once there, she signed with the Click Modeling Agency and enrolled in acting classes.
She became a Hollywood star after headlining the romantic comedy Pretty Woman(1990), which grossed $464 million worldwide. After receiving Golden Globe Awards and Academy Award nominations for Steel Magnolias (1989) and Pretty Woman, she won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance in Erin Brockovich (2000). Her films Mystic Pizza (1988), The Pelican Brief (1993), My Best Friend's Wedding (1997), Notting Hill (1999), Runaway Bride (1999), Ocean's Eleven (2001), Ocean's Twelve (2004), Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Valentine's Day (2010), Eat Pray Love (2010), and Mirror Mirror (2012) have collectively brought box office receipts of over $2.6 billion, making her one of the most successful actresses in terms of box office receipts.
Roberts had become one of the highest-paid actresses in the world, topping The Hollywood Reporter's annual "power list" of top-earning female stars from 2005 to 2006. Her fee for 1990's Pretty Woman was $300,000; in 2003, she was paid an unprecedented $25 million for her role in Mona Lisa Smile (2003). As of 2010, Roberts's net worth was estimated to be $140 million.
Roberts has been named one of People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" eleven times, tied with 'Halle Berry'. In 2011, she was named one of the "100 Hottest Women of All-Time" by Men's Health. In 2001, Ladies Home Journal ranked her as the 11th most powerful woman in the United States.
Roberts reportedly had romantic' relationships with actors 'Jason Patric', 'Liam Neeson', 'Dylan McDermott', and 'Matthew Perry'. Roberts married country singer Lyle Lovett (June 25, 1993); the wedding took place at St. James Lutheran Church in Marion, Indiana. They separated (March 1995) and subsequently divorced. From 1998 to 2001, Roberts dated actor 'Benjamin Bratt'.
Roberts and her husband, cameraman Daniel Moder, met on the set of her film The Mexican in 2000, while she was still dating Bratt. At the time, Moder was married to Vera Steimberg. He filed for divorce a little over a year later, and after it was finalized, he and Roberts married on (July 4, 2002), at her ranch in Taos, New Mexico. Together, they have three children: twins Hazel Patricia Moder and Phinnaeus "Finn" Walter Moder (b. 2004) and Henry Daniel Moder (b. 2007).
- Named one of People Magazine's '25 Most Intriguing People of 2001'.
- Was engaged to her _Steel Magnolias (1989)_ (qv) co-star, 'Dylan McDermott' (qv).
- Sister-in-law of 'Tony Gillan' (qv)
- Because 'Erin Brockovich-Ellis' (qv) is right handed and Roberts is not, she had to learn to use her right hand for _Erin Brockovich (2000)_ (qv).
- Was engaged to 'Kiefer Sutherland' (qv) for a short period.
- Tops the list of the 200 "hottest" actors and actresses in the business in "James Ulmer's Hollywood Hot List: The Complete Guide to Star Power - 2000" book which is published in October 2000 (June 2000).
- After 'George Clooney' (qv) and 'Brad Pitt' (qv) found out that she was going to be joining them in _Ocean's Eleven (2001)_ (qv), they sent her a card that read "We heard that you get 20 per film" and in it was a $20 bill; the joke was that she reportedly gets $20 million per film.
- Early in her career, she auditioned unsuccessfully for two soap opera roles. She lost the part of "Linda Warner" to 'Melissa Leo' (qv) on _"All My Children" (1970)_ (qv); and the part of "Hayley Benson" to 'Stacy Edwards' (qv) on _"Santa Barbara" (1984)_ (qv).