Apr. 23rd, 1949
Wheeling, West Virginia, USA
5' 3 1/2"
Joyce DeWitt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Call of the Wild
2005 - The Squid and the Whale
1982 - Airplane II: The Sequel
Guest TV Roles
Joyce DeWitt was born the second oldest of four to parents Paul and Norma DeWitt on April 23, 1949 in Wheeling, West Virginia but grew up in Indiana. Joyce began taking acting lessons when she was in high school. Although her father was hardly thrilled at his daughter's ambition, she persuaded him to let her major in theater in college. DeWitt soon moved to UCLA where she received her master's degree. After college, she worked as a legal secretary while at the same time going from audition to audition. Months passed before ABC offered her a choice of two comedy pilots but gave her only 24 hours to decide on which. After reading both scripts in a hurry, she chose the one about one guy living with two girls ("Three's Company" (1977)). She chose well - the other show never sold. She had been in numerous amounts of plays before but became familiar to everyone as the sensible, down-to-earth, football jersey wearing, brunette roommate, Janet Wood.
Dewitt became famous and while many celebrities would automatically welcome in the huge amounts of attention, she usually kept to herself and didn't care too much for publicity.
- Has Irish Ancestry
- Auditioned as Fonzie's girlfriend on _"Happy Days" (1974)_ (qv) in the late 1970s, although she didn't get chosen for the part (explaining she was too short and young), she was cast as Janet Wood on _"Three's Company" (1977)_ (qv) just a few weeks later.
- Is a part of the LIFE (Love Is Feeding Everyone) organization where she, and other famous actors, are helping fight world hunger and homelessness.
- Very active in theater since the age of 13 and prefers stage work to television.
- Went to Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana.
- Is a member of Chi Omega women's fraternity.
- Is part Swedish, part Italian.
- Has three other siblings