Apr. 23rd, 1949
Wheeling, West Virginia, USA
5' 3 1/2"
Joyce DeWitt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Joyce DeWitt was born the second oldest of four to parents Paul and Norma DeWitt on April 23, 1949 in Wheeling, West Virginia but grew up in Indiana. Joyce began taking acting lessons when she was in high school. Although her father was hardly thrilled at his daughter's ambition, she persuaded him to let her major in theater in college. DeWitt soon moved to UCLA where she received her master's degree. After college, she worked as a legal secretary while at the same time going from audition to audition. Months passed before ABC offered her a choice of two comedy pilots but gave her only 24 hours to decide on which. After reading both scripts in a hurry, she chose the one about one guy living with two girls ("Three's Company" (1977)). She chose well - the other show never sold. She had been in numerous amounts of plays before but became familiar to everyone as the sensible, down-to-earth, football jersey wearing, brunette roommate, Janet Wood.
Dewitt became famous and while many celebrities would automatically welcome in the huge amounts of attention, she usually kept to herself and didn't care too much for publicity.
- Is part Swedish, part Italian.
- On July 4th, 2009, she was arrested in El Segundo, California for DUI. According to reports, police pulled her over after she drove past a barricade near a park. An officer arrested DeWitt after he became suspicious that she had been drinking and administered a field sobriety test. She was booked at the police station, cited, and released on her own recognizance.
- Is a member of Chi Omega women's fraternity.
- Very active in theater since the age of 13 and prefers stage work to television.
- Has Irish Ancestry
- Received a master of fine art in acting from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Cousin of 'Fay DeWitt (I)' (qv).
- Has three other siblings