Jun. 23rd, 1964
New York City, New York, USA
Joss Whedon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Joseph Hill "Joss" Whedon is an American director, executive producer, occasional actor, and creator and head writer of the television programs Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse. He has also written several film scripts and comic book series.
Whedon was born in New York City and graduated from Wesleyan University in 1987. Before going to Wesleyan he spent two years at Winchester College in England. He attended Riverdale Country School in New York City where his mother taught History. (Sarah Michelle Gellar, star of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, also attended Riverdale Country School a number of years after Joss.) At a young age he was a prolific writer, loved Monty Python and showed great interest in acting. He was the lead role in an original production called 'Spaghetti Island' at Riverdale. He has been described as the world's first third-generation TV writer, as he is the son of Tom Whedon, a successful screenwriter for The Electric Company in the 1970s and The Golden Girls in the 1980s, and the grandson of John Whedon, a writer for The Donna Reed Show in the 1950s. His mother, Lee Stearns, was a high school teacher and novelist. He is the younger brother of Samuel and Matthew Whedon and older brother of writers Jed Whedon and Zack Whedon.
- Grandson of 'John Whedon' (qv).
- Wrote the plot to the comic book Serenity, which bridged the gap between the Firefly T.V. series and the film. Fellow Firefly writer Brett Matthews scripted it.
- Has said that he created Buffy (of the vampire slaying fame) to be an "alternative feminist icon".
- Brother of 'Zack Whedon' (qv), assistant to Mr. 'David Milch' (qv).
- The August 21, 1995, draft of the screenplay for _Twister (1996)_ (qv) credits 'Joss Whedon' (qv) and 'Jeff Nathanson' (qv) as writers. Neither writer are credited in the final film.
- Wrote Angel's comic book tie-in mini-series with comic book writer Brett Matthews called "Angel: Long Night's Journey." Just as Buffy comic book spin- off FRAY, this comic book mini-series had series of delays because of Joss's committments to Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Fray.
- Son of 'Tom Whedon' (qv).
- Considers _Mad Max 2 (1981)_ (qv) to be a perfect movie.