Nov. 15th, 1972
Kingston, Surrey, England, UK
Jonny Lee Miller's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Endgame
2006 - The Flying Scotsman
2005 - Aeon Flux
2004 - Mindhunters
2004 - Melinda and Melinda
2000 - Love, Honour and Obey
2000 - Wes Craven Presents Dracula 2000
1999 - Mansfield Park
1999 - Plunkett & MacLeane
1997 - Afterglow
1996 - Trainspotting
1995 - Hackers
Guest TV Roles
Jonathan "Jonny" Lee Miller (born November 15, 1972) is an English film, television and theatre actor. He achieved early success for his portrayal of Simon Williamson in the black comedy drama film Trainspotting (1996), before earning further critical recognition for his performances in Afterglow (1997), Mansfield Park (1999), The Flying Scotsman (2006) and Endgame (2009); for The Flying Scotsman he received a London Film Critics' Circle nomination for Actor of the Year. He was also part of the principal cast in the films Melinda and Melinda (2004), Dark Shadows (2012) and Byzantium (2013). He has appeared in several theatrical productions on Broadway, most notably After Miss Julie and Frankenstein, the later of which earned him an Olivier Award for Best Actor.
Miller starred as the titular character in the ABC comedy-drama Eli Stone for which he received a Satellite Award nomination for Best Actor. This was followed by another starring role in the BBC costume drama Emma and a supporting role as Jordan Chase in the fifth season of the Showtime drama Dexter. He currently stars as Sherlock Holmes in the CBS crime drama Elementary which earned him his second Satellite Award nomination for Best Actor.
Miller (sometimes credited with an H) Born in Kingston, England, UK. After appearing in many high school plays at his selective state grammar school, Miller dropped out at 17, to pursue acting full time. Although he was reportedly quiet and shy in high school, he certainly expresses himself well in all his films. His very first popular film was Hackers (1995), alongside 'Angelina Jolie' and 'Matthew Lillard'.
Interesting fact is that his entire family is well into acting, all the way back to his grandparents. He has a partnership in the production company, Natural Nylon, which also includes 'Ewan McGregor' and 'Jude Law'.
Miller married actress 'Angelina Jolie' (March 28, 1996). They separated 18 months later, and were divorced (February 9, 1999). He began dating actress and model 'Michele Hicks' in 2006. They married in July 2008 in Malibu, California. The couple have one son, Buster Timothy Miller, (born December 2008).
He is a marathon runner, often supporting the charity Mencap. Miller was signed up to run their 2006 Marathon des Sables, but had to drop out due to shooting the film Marathon. He ran the 2008 London Marathon in 3:01:40. He ran the 2010 New York City Marathon with his Dexter co-star 'Jennifer Carpenter'.
In 2014, Miller became an advocate to finding treatment for the disease Sanfilippo syndrome, following a case with five-year-old Jonah Weishaar. He is set to address the Congressional caucus in Washington on behalf of rare disease organizations, in the hopes of securing financing to fund treatment research.
- Father is Alan Miller who was a stage actor in the 1950s and '60s.
- Was a member of the UK's NYMT (the National Youth Music Theatre).
- In 1996, he played the role of Woodrow F. Call in _"Dead Man's Walk" (1996)_ (qv), the prequel to _"Lonesome Dove" (1989)_ (qv). That same year, he was married to 'Angelina Jolie' (qv), whose father, 'Jon Voight' (qv), played the role in _"Return to Lonesome Dove" (1993) (mini)_ .
- Left school at 17 to pursue his acting career.
- Was offered the role of Prince Henry in _Ever After (1998)_ (qv).
- Running is a hobby of his and he ran the London Marathon in 2008 in a time of 3hr 1min.
- Both his ex-wife, Angelina Jolie and his current wife, Michelle Hicks have the same birthday: June 4th.
- Lived in Primrose Hill, London, England, near 'Jude Law' (qv) and 'Ewan McGregor' (qv). He moved out of the area in the early 2000s.