Apr. 16th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Jon Cryer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Cryer was born in New York City, New York. His mother, Gretchen (née Kiger), is a playwright, songwriter actress, and singer; his father, Donald David Cryer, is an actor and singer who originally studied to be a minister. Cryer's paternal grandfather, Rev. Dr. Donald W. Cryer, was a well-known Methodist minister. He has two sisters, Robin and Shelly. He also has a step-sister, Hannah Douglas-Cryer. Cryer has English, German, Swiss-German, Dutch, Scottish, and Swedish ancestry. When Cryer was twelve years old, he decided that he wanted to become an actor. When his mother heard this, she thought he should have a backup plan, and joked: "Plumbing is a pretty good career." Cryer attended Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center for several summers as a teenager, and is a 1983 graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. He was classmates with screenwriter and film director Boaz Yakin. To his mother's "great disappointment", Cryer skipped college and went to study acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London, United Kingdom.
- Attended Stagedoor Manor Theatre Camp.
- Revealed his engagement to TV reporter 'Lisa Joyner' (qv) on _"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)_ (qv) on Jan. 23, 2007.
- Son of 'David Cryer (I)' (qv) and 'Gretchen Cryer' (qv), Broadway actors.
- Has one sister, Robin.
- He was asked to audition for the role of Chandler Bing on _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv), while he was doing a play in London. His reading was videotaped by a British casting agent but the tape failed to arrive in the U.S. before the network had made its final decision.
- His first child with his wife 'Sarah Trigger' (qv), a son Charlie Austin, was born on 27 June 2000 in Los Angeles.
- Friend of 'Paget Brewster' (qv).
- He and his _"Two and a Half Men" (2003)_ (qv) co-star 'Charlie Sheen (I)' (qv) also starred together in _Hot Shots! (1991)_ (qv)