Apr. 16th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Jon Cryer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Due Date
2009 - Weather Girl
2009 - Stay Cool
2009 - Shorts
2008 - Unstable Fables: 3 Pigs & a Baby
2008 - Tortured
1998 - Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five
1998 - Holy Man
1996 - Cannes Man
1991 - Hot Shots!
1987 - Morgan Stewart's Coming Home
1987 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
1987 - Hiding Out
1987 - Dudes
1986 - Pretty in Pink
1985 - O.C. and Stiggs
Guest TV Roles
Desk Clerk (Voiced)
Cryer was born in New York City, New York. His mother, Gretchen (née Kiger), is a playwright, songwriter actress, and singer; his father, Donald David Cryer, is an actor and singer who originally studied to be a minister. Cryer's paternal grandfather, Rev. Dr. Donald W. Cryer, was a well-known Methodist minister. He has two sisters, Robin and Shelly. He also has a step-sister, Hannah Douglas-Cryer. Cryer has English, German, Swiss-German, Dutch, Scottish, and Swedish ancestry. When Cryer was twelve years old, he decided that he wanted to become an actor. When his mother heard this, she thought he should have a backup plan, and joked: "Plumbing is a pretty good career." Cryer attended Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center for several summers as a teenager, and is a 1983 graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. He was classmates with screenwriter and film director Boaz Yakin. To his mother's "great disappointment", Cryer skipped college and went to study acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London, United Kingdom.
- Friend of 'Paget Brewster' (qv).
- Has one sister, Robin.
- Son of 'David Cryer (I)' (qv) and 'Gretchen Cryer' (qv), Broadway actors.
- Graduate of The Bronx High School of Science (a.k.a. Bronx Science), class of 1983.
- Once an usher at the Equity Library Theatre where he was often mistaken for actor 'Matthew Broderick (I)' (qv).
- Revealed his engagement to TV reporter 'Lisa Joyner' (qv) on _"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)_ (qv) on Jan. 23, 2007.
- He and 'Evan Lam' (qv) both played a character with the name 'Duck' in a movie. Cryer played Duckie in Pretty in Pink and Lam played Ducky in God of Vampires.
- Attended Stagedoor Manor Theatre Camp.